02 TJ ALH 1.9 TDI swap

JadSxM

I daily drive a 02 2.5l wrangler with a ax5 trans. The engine and trans are good but the rear Dana 35 just grinds and pops and just lacks power. So to remedy the issues I've gotten a 1.9l alh and ax15 adapter plates and a fast forward wire harness.
I also got a donor 1997 4.0 TJ sport to scavenge the ax15 trans and both front and rear axles(Dana 30 and 35). I plan to rebuild each axle in time but I think this is cheaper than regearing and bearing change in my current daily Tj. I also want to add A/C to the build. Any tips or advice with this engine swap is much appreciated as this is my first jeep engine swap.

IMG_20240405_134325.jpg

IMG_20231027_140238.jpg

Excited to see an ALH swap on here, subbed to see how it goes. Check out @RustyAutoholicGuy 's thread, he swapped in a newer TDI but I'm sure there's some useful info in there for you.

Reactions: Chris
Test the Fast Forward harness as soon as possible. I bought one, and it took me months of trouble shooting my swap to figure out that the reasons my swap wasn't starting was his harness, it was not pinned correctly. Ended up getting help from other people that ran into a similar issue.

Also check your gearing, these engines really like to cruise above 2000rpm. I need to find the link but there is a kit to adapt the TDI AC to the Jeep's AC system so you can have air conditioning.

I would highly recommend hydraulic motor mounts as well for you swap, such as these:
https://tdconversions.com/collections/engine-mounts/products/universal-frame-mount-kit-hydraulic
https://tdconversions.com/collections/engine-mounts/products/1-9-2l-tdi-universal-engine-mount-kit

If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks
Grant

Thanks for the heads up Grant hope I don't come up with any problems as yourself. I also got those motor mounts on order so all sorted there. I want to get as much prepped before tearing down my 2.5l jeep. What gear ratio give or take do you recommend for 31 inch tires? If you ever come up with the A/C link let me know. Much thanks.