Double DIN Android Head Unit (InsaneAudio TJ1001) Chinese Knock-Off Review

badlieutenant

TJ Addict
So, uhm, I ordered a Chinese knockoff stereo for the LJ. There is nothing else like it on the market. The closest thing is the InsaneAudio TJ1001... but I'd argue that the Chinese knockoff is better. It runs Android... I wish it ran iOS but that'll never happen.

You can get it here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M071MDQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

4a308dd08f9e8229afcffe343869197f.jpg

5257db8fd4b4d3bae2bebb1df83806ad.jpg

Since it runs android, I've installed Pandora, Netflix, Google Maps, and Plex!

It's freakin amazing. Looks stock too.

Looks good! Did you also get GPS with it? If so what is its offroad mapping like?

Also how does it play Pandora from its App while you drive around? Or do you have to link it to a cellphone via Bluetooth for that?

My TJ radio is underwhelming me at times, yours might be a nice upgrade.

Reactions: Zaythedad and Chris
Looks good! Did you also get GPS with it? If so what is its offroad mapping like?

Also how does it play Pandora from its App while you drive around? Or do you have to link it to a cellphone via Bluetooth for that?

My TJ radio is underwhelming me at times, yours might be a nice upgrade.

Yes sir it came with a GPS antenna that I mounted inside the dash. It plays Pandora natively on the stereo and the Internet access comes from my iPhone's personal hotspot. The stereo has built in WIFI so it shares my phones internet data. It also has a built in microphone and the hands free calling works perfectly. It also plays DVD's and actually has TV capabilities if you install the antenna for it. It has a built in 16GB HDD and has two slots for 32GB SDCARDS.

It's pretty awesome.

One thing to add though is that for some reason my factory subwoofer (if you can even call it that) isn't working. I can tell you though that even without that sub, it sounds way better than my older kenwood (or whatever brand) aftermarket head unit.

I'm probably just going to remove the sub, build a custom 10" box that fits inside where the factory sub was and mount a nice amp under the seat.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Awesome. Last question... Can it connect to my phone via Bluetooth? My T-Mobile personal Hotspot sucks up my data allotment but not so if I can stream the phone's Pandora App music to the radio via Bluetooth. T-mobile gives free unlimited music streaming of Pandora from my phone but not if it uses its Hotspot.

Awesome. Last question... Can it connect to my phone via Bluetooth? My T-Mobile personal Hotspot sucks up my data allotment but not so if I can stream the phone's Pandora App music to the radio via Bluetooth. T-mobile gives free unlimited music streaming of Pandora from my phone but not if it uses its Hotspot.

Yep, it does that no problem.

edit: let me double check.

Okay I tested it and it works!

b4f4e63c924aa67affb98085873d5aa2.jpg

It is playing through my phone via Bluetooth!

The seller included a rear backup camera because there was a delay in shipping but I think it was faulty. I spent about 4 hours trying to get it to work to no avail. I spliced it into my reverse lamp but nope.

Reactions: Zaythedad
How cool I like it and thanks for all the answers! So spill the beans man, do you have a link to where it is available or at least its brand name and model number? My birthday is coming up this summer, it's time to put a few hints out to my wife. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RD3 and D M
How cool I like it! So spill the beans man, do you have a link to where it is available or at least its brand name and model number? My birthday is coming up this summer, it's time to put a few hints out to my wife. :)

Oh goodness, I forgot to mention the most important part - HOW TO BUY IT!

So just so you're aware, it truly is a Chinese ripoff of the TJ1001 but like I said I really think the Chinese out did themselves. This unit is AWESOME. It's like a freakin computer in with a beautiful screen that looks like it came from the factory.

The only name this thing has is "S160". I found mine on eBay from a guy in Hong Kong.

You can also get it on Amazon for cheaper here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M071MDQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I drove around today with the top off and didn't have any problems with glare or brightness. Utilizing my personal hotspot on the phone allowed me to use google maps. I'm probably going to look for a nav program for android that doesn't require internets. I think TomTom will be my best bet and I can change the voice to Mr. T.

"I pity the fool that doesn't turn right in 100 feet!"