Trying to get this Jeep running after sitting for 14 years

CharlieG007

We bought a 97 Jeep Tj with the 2.5l and auto trans. The jeep has been sitting for 14 years and we are trying to get it going. I’ve put in fresh fuel, it has fuel pressure, it has spark, compression, and I’ve redone the timing due to it being out of time. Biggest issue I have right now is that it is backfiring through the intake. I’ve followed the Haynes service manual on the timing and confirmed that it was right. The exhaust is unbolted so it’s open header at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_1458.jpeg

We bought a 97 Jeep Tj with the 2.5l and auto trans. The jeep has been sitting for 14 years and we are trying to get it going. I’ve put in fresh fuel, it has fuel pressure, it has spark, compression, and I’ve redone the timing due to it being out of time. Biggest issue I have right now is that it is backfiring through the intake. I’ve followed the Haynes service manual on the timing and confirmed that it was right. The exhaust is unbolted so it’s open header at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 524274

I don't know if this applies to non-V8 engines, but is it 180 degrees out on timing (assuming you mean distributor timing)?

When I used to set timing on old GM V8's if the timing was set 180 out, it would backfire bad when given gas.

I don't know if this applies to non-V8 engines, but is it 180 degrees out on timing (assuming you mean distributor timing)?

When I used to set timing on old GM V8's if the timing was set 180 out, it would backfire bad when given gas.

On the inline 4 and 6’s you have to set the timing with the timing chain and then rotate the cam gear to the 1 o’clock position and count the chain pins to make 100% sure. It’s dumb but that’s the way I read it and have it set at

Meanwhile, I bought a 96 Cherokee Sport that color.
All of the neighborhood kids called it "Barney".

I called it "Factory Theft Deterrent".

It never gave me any trouble, and I figured nobody would steal it.
Ended up selling it to my mom for more than the trade in and she drove it cross country a few times.

That vehicle sold me on the brand.