Rearview mirror harness

Imposter71

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My LJ has the rearview mirror with the temp/compass/etc in it and none of it works. Could be a number of things wrong but I'm starting here because even my inexperienced self can tell this is a problem. Before I go pulling out a bunch of wires hunting around, can anyone tell me if this easily unplugs somewhere along the harness and if so where? I may try to repair it if I can find a wiring diagram to tell me the locations of the 2 broken wires, or if I can find a harness easily and cheap enough I'll just get a new one. Thanks. Sorry for the bad pics, was getting dark.

Bit of a hijack (sorry) but I have an LJ with a regular non-Rubicon mirror and I'd like to upgrade it. I "assume" there are other MOPAR vehicles that use the same mirror. Does anybody know of any that do? Thanks.

No worries. My LJ isn't a rubicon either, it just has that mirror. We are likely looking for some of the same parts. If my issues go beyond just the harness I will have to look at sensors,etc that you probably need to convert yours.

Reactions: Chris
I'm not sure, but did any TJs at all come with the rearview mirror with the compass built-in from the factory?

A mirror with a compass in it, or some other handy, easily readable cardinal direction display has been something I've wanted to do for a while now. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find a mirror with those options, but figuring out where they hid the sensors and whatnot may be the tricky part. Hopefully you post many pictures and give me some insight on how to strip one at the junkyard lol. Sorry I could be of no help to you

Mine was listed on the window sticker under "optional equipment, customer preferred package 25H". Auto dim mirror w/lamps/compass/temp.

Interesting. So do you think a previous owner or someone removed that mirror and put a different one on in place of it?

I know someone on the forum put one of these mirrors in. I want to say it was @Stinger, but I may be wrong. Hopefully he'll chime in if it is indeed him.

I put in a Gentex 177 mirror which isn't the correct one for my 03 but did work after re-pinning the harness. I found out there were several Gentex mirrors used by Jeep. You can crack the mirror open and the pins should be marked on the board. I'll try to find the wiring schematic for the mirror harness, in the meantime if your mirror is a 177 here's the correct pinout for the harness. There's a pink/white wire missing that is hot all the time that I pulled out to use elsewhere. I think the yellow wire is dome lights but it wasn't needed.

9354d360afd089b30eeb12592edbda8d.jpg

Last edited:
My Jeep was not wired but I hit a U-pull and picked up a Gentex 177 including the temp sensor for $13 and a few hours later was good to go.

Blue/white = fused ignition
Violet/black = reverse lights
Violet/green = temp sensor
Black/blue = temp sensor ground
Black/green = mirror ground
Yellow = courtesy lamps
Pink/white = +12v

Yes mine.
TJ 2006 rear view mirror with compass and temperature, switchable celsius and fahrenheit.
Jeep built in canada.
Markus

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Interesting! I've looked at a ton of TJs, but never seen on in the US with this option (not in person at least).

I know someone on the forum put one of these mirrors in. I want to say it was @Stinger, but I may be wrong. Hopefully he'll chime in if it is indeed him.

I,put the Gentex in Stinger because I needed to know temps running up and down canyon roads in the winter. Bought it from Quadratec and I came complete with wiring harness although part of the factory harness was already under the dash defroster cover. IIRC the factory setup from a Durago will also plug and play I just couldn't find one.

My Jeep was not wired but I hit a U-pull and picked up a Gentex 177 including the temp sensor for $13 and a few hours later was good to go.
Jim - What vehicle did you pull it out of? Just trying to narrow down the search at my next trip to a pick-n-pull. Thanks. Stew

I put in a Gentex 177 mirror which isn't the correct one for my 03 but did work after re-pinning the harness. I found out there were several Gentex mirrors used by Jeep. You can crack the mirror open and the pins should be marked on the board. I'll try to find the wiring schematic for the mirror harness, in the meantime if your mirror is a 177 here's the correct pinout for the harness. There's a pink/white wire missing that is hot all the time that I pulled out to use elsewhere. I think the yellow wire is dome lights but it wasn't needed.

View attachment 9743
Kevin - Did you get yours out of another Jeep model? ... Grand Cherokee, etc.? Thanks. Stew

Kevin - Did you get yours out of another Jeep model? ... Grand Cherokee, etc.? Thanks. Stew

When I went thru the U-pull just about every vehicle with the temp/compsass mirror had the Gentex 177, it seems to be one of the most common mirrors. Just find one that still has the temp sensor which was usually located behind the grill.