Wiring factory Rubicon air lockers

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a step by step process somewhere in Internet land for wiring in air pumps for Rubicon axles after a swap? I don't want to be cutting the wrong wires or burning out the compressors. Lost at the moment any help is appreciated.

Power and wire a Rubicon air compressor like you would a simple light bulb with only a simple SPST (on-off) switch needed to control it, it is as easy to wire as that.

The black wire coming out of the compressor goes to ground, the other wire (tan with red strip or red with white stripe depending on which model compressor you have) gets a switched 12 volts. The compressor shuts off by itself once the proper pressure is built up so you don't need to worry about complex wiring or control needs. The compressor doesn't draw a lot of amps so no relay is needed. 14-16 gauge wiring is fine, just make sure the on-off switch is a good HD quality switch. I fused my two compressors individually with 5 amp fuses.

Make sure to only use the actual Rubicon compressor (pump) which only puts out about 5 psi. You cannot use a standard 80-120 psi compressor to power the Rubicon lockers. Doing so would blow out the bladder inside the locker.

This is where I mounted my Rubicon compressors...

DSCN0522.JPG

Took off the loom so I can see what I have. I don't see a red with stripe but I have pink and green together and two reds together. Am I still only using the black and reds or go behind the splices and only use black and the one red wire from pump? Sorry just trying to get it right.
20170101_114215-720x1280.jpg

I don't recall what I did with the extra non-black wires, I might have just twisted them together. The compressor itself only needs two wires to work. I'd ground the black wire and apply +12v to the other non-black wiring... they likely go to a common connection inside the pump. Whatever it takes to be able to turn the pump on & off.

Here's the schematic for it out of the FSM, you can see each compressor only requires two wires to work, ground and +12 volt power...

Compressor wiring.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Hi guys, I have a dilemma.

I’m trying to wire up these pumps red to 12v and black to ground. All I’m getting is a solenoid “click”

what’s the problem??

Your pumps could be bad.
Did you do an axle swap?
Where did the pumps come from?

I put 2006 Rubicon axles that had the pumps , on a 98 TJ and as Jerry suggested everything still works today

Your pumps could be bad.
Did you do an axle swap?
Where did the pumps come from?

I bought the pumps new from summitracing. I read in a different forum that the Click I hear is the pressure release valve. They said the compressors runs on pink and black and has to be wired to the differential so that it can send a signal back to the compressor to close the pressure release valve(red wire)

I bought the pumps new from summitracing. I read in a different forum that the Click I hear is the pressure release valve. They said the compressors runs on pink and black and has to be wired to the differential so that it can send a signal back to the compressor to close the pressure release valve(red wire)
The compressor shuts itself off automatically when the pressure reaches 5 psi and turns itself back on if the pressure drops. There is absolutely no need to connect anything but 12v and ground to it.

Reactions: Kevin E
I just looked at mine and I spliced the pink and green wire together off the pump and red goes to battery and black is ground
15890632834656503072434811826894.jpg

Tape off the pink/green wire. It doesn't get used. All you need is the red for power and black for ground. No relays are needed either.

xmtkxo2-jpg.jpg

I make pigtails for all my installations, then tie into the fuse panel behind the glovebox.

20210531_152212-jpg.jpg

20210531_152153-jpg.jpg

I also use safety switches, so someone doesn't accidentally bump one on.
20210605_175211-jpg.jpg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I just bought myself some rubicon axles also to swap in my 05 LJ. I was so lost when I didn’t see the connect for the pumps but this clears things up. Looks like I can make my own switch connections to power the pumps.

I only got the connections for the axle lock switch with the vacuum hoses.

Do you need the original rubicon axle switch in the dash? Or can I just run the pumps to two separate safety switches?

I just bought myself some rubicon axles also to swap in my 05 LJ. I was so lost when I didn’t see the connect for the pumps but this clears things up. Looks like I can make my own switch connections to power the pumps.

Do you need the original rubicon axle switch in the dash? Or can I just run the pumps to two separate safety switches?
This is all I got as far as wiring when I bought them

image.jpg

You don't need or want the original switch, two are better. The Rubicon switch is momentary so it wouldn't work. Those pumps should work with the info on this thread.

No need for any of the Rubicon wiring. Wire each compressor like you would a small 12 volt bulb, use nothing larger than a 5 amp fuse for each.

Two simple on-off switches are all you need, this is where I placed mine.

Locker-Switches.jpg

Reactions: Irun