Can a TJ VIN be used on TJ Unlimited build?

Is the Dana 44 geared at 3.73 any stranger then the 35 geared at 4.88? Never used an axle with locker, so dont think I will miss it. Though the LJ has rear disk brake, is that really worth it?

For drivability, you'll want at least 4.88 gears with the 35" tires, 3.73s are not going to cut it. If your going to stay with the 35" tires you should consider to either change over your Dana 35 to a Super 35 or regear the Dana 44 to match the 4.88s you already have up front. I think you'd be better off having a more stout axle out back.

For drivability, you'll want at least 4.88 gears with the 35" tires, 3.73s are not going to cut it. If your going to stay with the 35" tires you should consider to either change over your Dana 35 to a Super 35 or regear the Dana 44 to match the 4.88s you already have up front. I think you'd be better off having a more stout axle out back.
So you're saying the 30/35 4.88 is better thn the 30/44 3.73?
I am trying to figure out which set is better as is on the LJ.

I do not have any issues with the 30/35 4.88 35". I drive most in the city and little highway.

As far as the swap goes, there is no fundamental difference between the TJ and TJ Unlimited. From the end of the t-case forward to the grill, they are identical in all respects and the only difference that would concern you is extending a brake line, fuel pump harness, and driveshaft.

Plug and play. Except for the longer bits mentioned above.

If I move the internals of the 97 tj to the lj, do I need to move all the wiring under the dash?
A few things are different in the lj like light switch, radio, heater control etc..

So you're saying the 30/35 4.88 is better thn the 30/44 3.73?
I am trying to figure out which set is better as is on the LJ.

I do not have any issues with the 30/35 4.88 35". I drive most in the city and little highway.

Gear ratio is the same end result regardless of the axle. With the 5 speed manual, 33s should have 4.88 minimum. 35s should have 5.13 minimum.

If I move the internals of the 97 tj to the lj, do I need to move all the wiring under the dash?
A few things are different in the lj like light switch, radio, heater control etc..

The 97 dash cluster needs to follow the 97 engine and PCM to whatever frame it is going to live on. That likely includes the HVAC and audio because the dash wiring harness includes all those things.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ