Definitive on Additives

HDRider

TJ Enthusiast
The video is very good. It is choked full of data.

The synopsis is - Oil additives bad. Fuel additives good (especially on fuel injection)

Reactions: B1Toad
I've known for a while that oil additives can degrade the oil due to incompatibility with the oil's own additive package, but what I learned from the video is even when switching oil brands, the residual additives left from the old oil can mix with the additives from the new oil and cause increased wear for that first run with the different brand of oil. He demonstrates this at 14 minutes into the video.

Fuel additives are another story and one reason why I like to buy fuel from top tier suppliers like Chevron. When it comes to diesel, the US has a lower quality diesel than other countries like Europe and I do use additives to boost Cetane and to add lubricity on all my diesels.

On my old Powerstroke if I skip the additive there is a noticeably louder clacking that goes away with a Cetane improver, just last fillup I noticed it clacking as I was filling it because I didn't use any additive in the prior fillup, I poured in my additive and a few minutes later it was quieter.

Thanks for the video, it was informative

In All my diesel engines I use Power Service additive regular and winter formulas. They took out the sulphur around 07 and my older engines need more lubrication than the current diesel supplies. In my 54 flathead 6 I add a lead replacement. Taryl Fixes All on youtube proved that the long term gas storage additives did no more than buying good gas. Living in the Desert SW I have no need for a Heet type water remover but I used it when I lived in Wisconsin. I use the same brand of oil Delo Synthetic in the diesels and Mobil 1 for gas. I always have gallons in stock. Other than my POS 2019 Hyundai which started burning oil at 60K I get over 250K on my vehicles. Presently I have over 400K on my 95 7.3.

IMG_2315.jpeg