MasterTop

BillW

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just wanted to tell someone about the interaction I have had with the President of MasterTop. I bought my TJ back in February of 2022. That spring I bought a full Bimini Top from Mastertop through Quadratec. I had the door frames for a full soft top, but I could not get the plastic splines into the grooves, so I left them off. Late in the summer of 2022, I decided to try again and tore the top where a strap was sewn in at the windshield. So I bought another top. It also would not stretch enough to fit the splines into the groove. Also, a strap was sewn in opposite of what it was supposed to be. I contacted the president, and he was immediately very helpful in getting me a new top that was correct. He sent me a new top last fall. This spring I decided to try the new top. I actually got the splines in the groove of the door frames.
I also bought a wind stopper and upper half doors made by Mastertop and am very pleased with the whole package.
This past week I contacted the President again and asked about some wind buffeting happening at the back of the top. He said he was going to talk to the engineer about the problem and would try to find a fix. :);)

So, you're saying MasterTops tear easily, don't fit right, are poorly sewn, noisy, and you had to buy a new top (don't honor warranty), but their customer service is great? :unsure:

So, you're saying MasterTops tear easily, don't fit right, are poorly sewn, noisy, and you had to buy a new top (don't honor warranty), but their customer service is great? :unsure:

Nope, I did not say that. YOU inferred it. The material/stitching does not/ did not tear easily. I was practically hanging from the strap trying to stretch it.
Most of it was probably my fault. not waiting for the fabric to warm up thoroughly, not reading/understanding the directions, not taking my time, etc. I was like a kid on Christmas with the first top. I did not try to return the top I tore, because I tore it.

The second one with the strap that was miss sewn, I did contact the company after that, and They did send me a new top, for free, after I sent pictures of the defects.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Let us know what he says. I have one of their Skymaster twill tops.
It looks and fits nice, but the wind noise and buffering is obscene.

My only comment would be to contact the company, I believe they would be willing to work with you.

The president did say to contact him next spring if he has not contacted me before then....

It's not Bestop but I'll never argue with a company that answers the phone, supports their products and listens to feedback and genuinely wants to improve and innovate.

Is their stuff made in the US?

-Mac

Their corporate offices are in Golden, Colorado, but I have no idea where the actual products are manufactured.

Their corporate offices are in Golden, Colorado, but I have no idea where the actual products are manufactured.

The factory is 10 minutes south of the border in Mexico. They use US fabric, thread and zippers for their soft tops.

Reactions: BillW
Better than China. Most Hispanics will work us fat lazy Americans into the ground.

Irregardless of country of origin... it's the quality standards, inspections etc that really make a product shine.

-Mac

I have to say that I think their quality is as good as anyone's, or maybe better. I have no experience with other top manufacturers. I used my big channel locks to manipulate the splines into the channels on the door surrounds, so I think they can take the abuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoogieman