‘99 TJ 4.0 won't start after head rebuild

Logancooper7

Machined cylinder head off my friends 1999 TJ Sport 4.0, can’t get it to turn over. Checked fuel, spark, even compression. Had fuel pressure whole time, and Injectors were pulsing. I put a dab of dielectric grease into every connection I removed, including crank position sensor.
After further inspection I suspect ignition failure, possibly because of ASD system? I am not getting 12v to the white wire of the ignition coil. However, I get 12v to the white wire of my YJ, which runs.
I checked resistance of primary and secondary coils- they’re within spec. There was one 10 amp fuse blown that I replaced.
friend bought this jeep off the original owner, who kept it bone stock. So no one has tried to mess with the factory wiring.
Any advise Is greatly appreciated!

If you can't get it to turn over I would look at the starter or starter system. Put a wrench on the crankshaft to see if you can at least turn it over by hand.

Your thread title says it won't start, but your post says that it won't turn over. Which is it?

Reactions: Daryl and Tomcat
If you can't get it to turn over I would look at the starter or starter system. Put a wrench on the crankshaft to see if you can at least turn it over by hand.
Your thread title says it won't start, but your post says that it won't turn over. Which is it?

i went out of context... it will crank but not fire. Last night my friend came over with snap- on scanner. I had codes for open/ short in ASD relay, and a code for the crank sensor. After testing, scanner picked up 50 something crank signals, and only 4 cam signals.
turns out the TJ engine was swapped by previous owner, I didn’t realize it until I couldn’t find a camshaft position sensor by the oil filter. The 4.0 looks like one in my YJ

Also still not getting 12v to white wire going to coil, but I still have spark from the plug... probably gonna throw a crank sensor at it anyways and see what happens.

Reactions: qslim