“Best” 31x10.5R15 tire

cooper makes a "value" MT, i think it's what used to be Mastercraft. Cooper Evolution, very reasonably priced.
I'm leaning towards these or the Maxxis Bighorn

Since I'm in Greece and tires prices are different (e.g. Cooper STTs are more expensive here than BFGs A/T and M/T) I will only opine on the performance.

Without having done a lot of heavy off-roading I believe KM2s (my previous set) did perform better in mud conditions than my current KO2s and somewhat equal in snow-covered roads. I changed to KO2s since I usually daily drive the TJ and with the hope of getting better grip and braking in wet roads which was the only thing I wasn't satisfied from KM2s.

Reactions: Zorba
We have mud here, snow, it can get rainy, soggy, snowy,...the mud can get greasy...just damn messy.

AT's suck for any serious mud and or deep snow. You being in Dallas don't worry about snow but mud...sure.

They clog up just looking at mud. And only clean once you've hit the pavement.

AT's are fine for for hard packed snow/ice and occasional soft ground. Not MUD. Soft ground.

Are they better than a street tire? Yes...but only a little bit.

True mud tires there is no substitute.

BTW...the patigonias suck. Bad. Might be the worst tire ever made. Maybe even the the last few years.
They suck. That solid center bead is absolutely retarded. Dumbest design ever.

You have Duratracs listed but no MTR???

Kenda MT are ok...they are a mickey mtz copy.

General X3 are an original MTR copy...

KM3 are ok.

Coopers are ok...

Ya know if you haven't noticed there are a boat load of tires out there that are very similar. They all have such similar tread designs. Really who cares they're all going to perform close to one another.
Kenda mt, stt pro, mtz, x3, all pretty much the same thing. Why? All copying off each other. You want red or black?

If you want a true mud tire I'd advise checking out what Interco has to offer.
An Irok ND,
trxus m/t
The SSR
All three offer decent street ability and tremendous off road capability.

Swampers have been the benchmark other off road tires are judged against.
Very useful post, I hadn’t considered that with such similar tread patterns they would be so close. All add the MTR’s (Goodyear?) and the interco’s to the list.

the swappers are a kick ass off-Road tire. But they kinda suck at everything else, hopefully I can find a decent middle ground. Perhaps slightly off-road bias.

Following because I'm looking for new tires, too. No one has mentioned Toyo at all. Is there are reason for that?
I looked at the open country and such, my general consensus was it’s the same as BFG’s but I’ll ass them to the list and see if we can get any opinions.

Reactions: TrishTJ
I’m Thinking about adding a poll to the beginning once we get the tires we want to judge

Anyone have ideas on Gldiator/X-comp?
Yokohama?

Last edited:
I have 31x10.50 BFG KM2’s. I don’t look for mud, but the limited times I‘ve been in it they did well. Cleaned out real well. I’ve been in lots of sand, aired down, and I thought they have done extremely well in that situation.

I had BFG KO2’s on my Silverado and they were just ok for mud. Did not clean out well.
I forgot to add, the KO2’s on my Silverado did great on snow covered roads.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
Very useful post, I hadn’t considered that with such similar tread patterns they would be so close. All add the MTR’s (Goodyear?) and the interco’s to the list.

the swappers are a kick ass off-Road tire. But they kinda suck at everything else, hopefully I can find a decent middle ground. Perhaps slightly off-road bias.
I'm asking you in a serious manner...
You acknowledge they kick ass off road bit suck at everything else?

Explain that please

Notice I left out the bogger, regular TSL, ahd the TSL SX. All are bias.

I sell all this shit (all vendors) and get touchy feely with them. Put miles on them.

My two favorite MT tires and the only ones I buy now are Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 and Dick Cepek extreme country. Both are excellent tires on and off road. I had some Goodyear MTR/K tires and they chunked pretty bad on the lugs. I've also had many others like BFG.

I'm asking you in a serious manner...
You acknowledge they kick ass off road bit suck at everything else?

Explain that please

Notice I left out the bogger, regular TSL, ahd the TSL SX. All are bias.

I sell all this shit (all vendors) and get touchy feely with them. Put miles on them.
Tbh, I haven’t looked at Interco in a while, the last set of swampers I had, we’re older than I am, and I credit them with most of the reason that stupid VW rail could keep up with the bigger rigs (that and how light it was) the swampers are threw anything we threw at them from sand to mud to dirt, just hooked and went.

all that being said, on the road they couldn’t find traction in the dry, never mind the wet and they shook like all hell (despite multiple balance attempts) and the ride was pretty rough. (Not only the tires but they weren’t helping)

I would like to put in a disclaimer that those tires were old and dry rotting at the valve, and I fully intend to look into Intercos options for a Jeep, it’s been over 10 years, I imagined they offer more tires than they used to/ have improved there design.

I would be interested to hear your opinion/experience on what you run on your Jeep, you said your a vendor (for tires?) what do you recommend about the interco options? What’s your favorite? Seems like you have a great deal more experience in this field than I do.

Its not specifically a MT tire, but I've been very impressed with the Cooper ST Maxx on my Lexus. Its handled anything I've thrown at it. Its is claimed to be an AT/MT hybrid so there is that. On the LX, I run 255/85R16 which is basically a 33x10, though its available in the more usual sizes.

Its not specifically a MT tire, but I've been very impressed with the Cooper ST Maxx on my Lexus. Its handled anything I've thrown at it. Its is claimed to be an AT/MT hybrid so there is that. On the LX, I run 255/85R16 which is basically a 33x10, though its available in the more usual sizes.
It is M&S rated

Its not specifically a MT tire, but I've been very impressed with the Cooper ST Maxx on my Lexus. Its handled anything I've thrown at it with my Lexus. Its is claimed to be an AT/MT hybrid so there is that. On the LX Lexus, I run 255/85R16 which is basically a 33x10, though its available in the more usual sizes.
Enough said. That's like saying my Porsche Cayenne can go offroad.:unsure: My neighbor had one (Porsche Cayenne turbo 4x4 ) and it couldn't make it up the hill on a paved street in the snow. His 4 banger TJ had no problems.

• Haha
Tbh, I haven’t looked at Interco in a while, the last set of swampers I had, we’re older than I am, and I credit them with most of the reason that stupid VW rail could keep up with the bigger rigs (that and how light it was) the swampers are threw anything we threw at them from sand to mud to dirt, just hooked and went.

all that being said, on the road they couldn’t find traction in the dry, never mind the wet and they shook like all hell (despite multiple balance attempts) and the ride was pretty rough. (Not only the tires but they weren’t helping)

I would like to put in a disclaimer that those tires were old and dry rotting at the valve, and I fully intend to look into Intercos options for a Jeep, it’s been over 10 years, I imagined they offer more tires than they used to/ have improved there design.

I would be interested to hear your opinion/experience on what you run on your Jeep, you said your a vendor (for tires?) what do you recommend about the interco options? What’s your favorite? Seems like you have a great deal more experience in this field than I do.
I'm certain you're talking about the old school original TSL bias ply tires.
Now I won't try and speculate exactly what the problem was with your experience other than....the original TSL has huge lugs. If they start wearing in the least bit funky way...it's magnified.
Take a look at your list. All those "mud tires" if they wear uneven what happens? The high spots start slapping the pavement. What's that mean? Noise more than anything. A little vibe but noise mostly. The original swamper if worn uneven with huge lugs meant noise and with such big lugs....vibration.

The three I gave you are all radials, siped for better wet weather traction, and have around the same tread depth as your list.
A radial is going to be inherently more true spinning than a bias tire. (Bias does have it's place though)

BTW the SSR is even offered in 31x12.50 x15
(Along with 31x10.50x15) the 12.5 a bit more expensive but something to consider as well. Enjoying the width of a 33 or 35 tire but in a 31 height.

The three I listed all share the same tread principal of three different size lugs and all share the original proven off road geometry of lug placement.

Here's an older tire test but one that has a couple from your list.
Scroll down and you'll see the winner

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/131-0910-mud-terrain-truck-tire-test/

Enough said. That's like saying my Porsche Cayenne can go offroad.:unsure: My neighbor had one (Porsche Cayenne turbo 4x4 ) and it couldn't make it up the hill on a paved street in the snow. His 4 banger TJ had no problems.
you laugh, but the Lexus has three lockers from the factory (fulltime 4wd means a middle diff as well.). its not a cream puff, but a rebadged Landcruiser FZJ80.

Not mine, but:

02-jpg.jpg