“Best” 31x10.5R15 tire

KingCarGuyZ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So I have been nosing around, and I haven’t found many threads on tires, my old 31’s were on the way out when I bough the Jeep 6 months ago, and I am looking at replacements.

The general pourpose of this thread is to consolidate people’s tire opinions, what do you run and why? Do you like them, or can you not wait to get them off your rig?

more specifically for me, Daily Driver 4.0 5spd, looking at 31x10.5R15 for now, most of the trails I do are muddy, tight Forrest roads. I have mostly been looking at M/T’s as I don’t care to much about tire noise and want better performance off-road, but if someone has an A/T they love, I’m listening. I am also cheap, so the cheaper the better, though I do understand that tires might be a place to spend a bit more, as they are what is in direct contact with the trail, doesn’t matter how locked you are, if you running a slick.

so far I have been looking at the following

Kenda M/T’s
BFG KM3’s (pricy, but reputable)
Cooper M/T’s (stt pro and evolutions)
Maxis Bighorn
Mickey Tomohson Baja’s (also pricy and less reputable)

Additions:
BFG Ko2’s
Goodyear Duratracs
General Grabber X3’s
Goodyear MTR
Interco Irok ND
Interco trxus m/t
Interco SSR
Maxxis MT-764 Buckshot ll
Maxxis Trepador?
Toyo open country
Falkan M/T
Mickey Thompson MTZ P3
Dick Cepek extreme country

I was looking at patigonias, but I have come to the conclusion that they are widely regarded as shit tires that run out quickly and are only sutible for mall crawler JK’s
I was looking at patigonias, but I have come to the conclusion that they are widely regarded as shit tires that run out quickly and are only sutible for mall crawler JK’s

any other tires I should consider, any I should remove from my list? Experience, oppionions, horror story’s?

@Chris , I tired to make the title as search friendly as possible for later, but if you have a better idea, please do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I can tell you that both my KO2s and Duratracs were excellent off-road. In fact, the only place I wouldn’t recommend them is if you’re airing down and doing serious rock crawling. But other than that, I think an A/T would be a better choice personally.

Reactions: DickD1911
I can tell you that both my KO2s and Duratracs were excellent off-road. In fact, the only place I wouldn’t recommend them is if you’re airing down and doing serious rock crawling. But other than that, I think an A/T would be a better choice personally.
I do air down for the trails, not so much crazy rock crawling

I had heard that A/T’s load up and spin in the mud (don’t self clear) which I find myself in more and more, any experience with that?

I had heard that A/T’s load up and spin in the mud (don’t self clear) which I find myself in more and more, any experience with that?
If you run mud buy an MT. I run the KO2 in all types of terrain. It does "ok" in mud, but an MT will do a lot better. When I move to 35's I am putting on KM3's since I have a trailer now.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
If you run mud buy an MT. I run the KO2 in all types of terrain. It does "ok" in mud, but an MT will do a lot better. When I move to 35's I am putting on KM3's since I have a trailer now.
The KM3’s suck that bad on road? Or just the time for a swap?

I run slimmy trails (slimy enough that I wouldn’t want to be wearing sneakers) but I try to stay out of the “bog’s” I’m on the fence as to MT terrain or not

I do air down for the trails, not so much crazy rock crawling

If you’re doing serious mud, then an A/T wouldn’t be a good choice, I agree. I missed that part admittedly. In that case, a M/T would be the better choice.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
Following along at home as well - I'm leaning towards the Coopers myself at the moment.
I’ve heard good things about them, but the design is aging, apparently it’s worth it for the stt pros if you plan on doing any road driving 🤷🏻‍♂️

What about Interco? I used to have a sand rail with supper stampers in the back, that thing would eat through anything, absolutely sucked inroad though, that was a full blown mud tire and not an M/T

I have 31x10.50 BFG KM2’s. I don’t look for mud, but the limited times I‘ve been in it they did well. Cleaned out real well. I’ve been in lots of sand, aired down, and I thought they have done extremely well in that situation.

I had BFG KO2’s on my Silverado and they were just ok for mud. Did not clean out well.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
The KM3’s suck that bad on road? Or just the time for a swap?

I run slimmy trails (slimy enough that I wouldn’t want to be wearing sneakers) but I try to stay out of the “bog’s” I’m on the fence as to MT terrain or not
The KM3 doesn't suck on road but it is a compromise. Its louder, wears faster, and has less wet traction than the KO2. For a daily driver the KO2 is probably the best choice. They have a $120 rebate right now too.

What about cheaper options like the Kendas, coopers, Maxis etc etc? They any good?
Cheaper is rarely better with tires. Stick with a known brand. For cheaper stuff I like Falken, Cooper, Hercules (built by Cooper), General, Nitto (not really cheap anymore). As long as I have the extra cash to spend, its BFG for the truck and Jeep, and Michelin for everything else. I have worked for a tire distributor for 20 years and ran about every brand under the sun. Still these are just opinions based on my exposure and experiences.

My new Ram 2500 I bought last week came with Firestone Transforce AT's and they suck. New BFG's are going on as soon as they come off backorder. Covid is making stuff hard to get right now.

I run Thunderer’s as a cheap China tires. For a 33/12-50 they were $99 a pop (free shipping) and seems to work well. Not too loud. Air down good.

I’ll do Swampers again.

The KM3 doesn't suck on road but it is a compromise. Its louder, wears faster, and has less wet traction than the KO2. For a daily driver the KO2 is probably the best choice. They have a $120 rebate right now too.
Do you have a link to the rebate? I am close to getting a set of 32s by the end of nov-EOY.

We have mud here, snow, it can get rainy, soggy, snowy,...the mud can get greasy...just damn messy.

AT's suck for any serious mud and or deep snow. You being in Dallas don't worry about snow but mud...sure.

They clog up just looking at mud. And only clean once you've hit the pavement.

AT's are fine for for hard packed snow/ice and occasional soft ground. Not MUD. Soft ground.

Are they better than a street tire? Yes...but only a little bit.

True mud tires there is no substitute.

BTW...the patigonias suck. Bad. Might be the worst tire ever made. Maybe even the the last few years.
They suck. That solid center bead is absolutely retarded. Dumbest design ever.

You have Duratracs listed but no MTR???

Kenda MT are ok...they are a mickey mtz copy.

General X3 are an original MTR copy...

KM3 are ok.

Coopers are ok...

Ya know if you haven't noticed there are a boat load of tires out there that are very similar. They all have such similar tread designs. Really who cares they're all going to perform close to one another.
Kenda mt, stt pro, mtz, x3, all pretty much the same thing. Why? All copying off each other. You want red or black?

If you want a true mud tire I'd advise checking out what Interco has to offer.
An Irok ND,
trxus m/t
The SSR
All three offer decent street ability and tremendous off road capability.

Swampers have been the benchmark other off road tires are judged against.

Reactions: Zorba