“Thought it was done” build / blog

Finished up adjustments on the rear today, well almost, still have to tweak the pinion angle a tad.
Got the axle adjusted so no tires rubbing anywhere throughout the entire flex cycle.
881dbf0aad526729923a5a7176952049.jpg

Bump stops set and centered as best as tires will allow.
8a91791e5af854460bf0f85a4c397739.jpg

Put it back together. Set on the ground. Rear axle not square to frame. Out by 3/16. Adjusted as needed.
How often do the lowers have to be slightly different lengths?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and JMT
Everything finally reinstalled, axle squared to frame. Test drove without the 1-1/4” wheel spacers. Drives much better. It even turns sharper.
Still need to raise my front shock mounts 1”.
Need to replace my rear uppers.

Reactions: JMT
New Savvy upper control arms are in the mail!!!
I now have some wondering while on the highway. Removing the wheel spacers and setting shocks to a softer setting some how revealed. I really thought it had something to do with body roll and softer shock settings. I had been meaning to have it aligned. So I figured I would start there to solve the wondering issue. Turns out my toe adjustment was way off. But I also wanted to know my thrust angle and caster numbers anyway, so was worth the $50. On the way to a snow run yesterday I quickly discovered a very slight shimmy in steering wheel above 60mph and more of a shimmy while cornering above 50. I rotated tires today, shimmy appears to be gone. I assume the tires have some abnormal wear from running with the toe misadjusted. All seems good for now.

It looks like outboard shocks are soon to be installed~:eek:
Down the road, maybe. Right now the rear shocks extended length match my springs extended length. And up travel is set for shocks and keep tires out of the stock tub opening. As I finish up some of the current to do list maybe. Right now I am just focusing on getting thing To work at its full potential. I will let my off road needs dictate what needs to be done. If I hang on my skid, then maybe a tummy tuck. If I need more travel, then out board rear shocks.
Really trying to stay away from doing things just cause I think I should and keep everything on a ad needed bases.

Reactions: astjp2
Really trying to stay away from doing things just cause I think I should and keep everything on a ad needed bases.

This is my struggle. I read about all these cool mods, yet the only thing I "need" to do is the tummy tuck (hanging on my belly skid is a rather regular occurrence). A Rubicon on 33's will get you almost anywhere you need to be, but 35's look so damn cool!

This is my struggle. I read about all these cool mods, yet the only thing I "need" to do is the tummy tuck (hanging on my belly skid is a rather regular occurrence). A Rubicon on 33's will get you almost anywhere you need to be, but 35's look so damn cool!
I agree, I just hate the ride of my YJ and the wife wont let me modify her JK so I am working on modifying my LJ to handle overlanding so I am going to outboard the rear shocks, 3-4" of suspension lift and stick with short arms until I can do a mid arm thing with matching Dana 44's

Yes too often things are over built. I mean until you get everything working right you will not know the potential of your rig. I see guys who want 40” tires, that have a 4” lift, no bump stops, 3” of shock shaft showing and complain their rig wont do what they want.

I agree, I just hate the ride of my YJ and the wife wont let me modify her JK so I am working on modifying my LJ to handle overlanding so I am going to outboard the rear shocks, 3-4" of suspension lift and stick with short arms until I can do a mid arm thing with matching Dana 44's
I hated the ride in my YJ. Couldn’t seem to tame it no matter what I tried. Right now my TJ is pretty dang good. I would like to see and ride in a rig with an AntiRock to see how it handles on and off road. I believe it will be much softer off-road.

I hated the ride in my YJ. Couldn’t seem to tame it no matter what I tried. Right now my TJ is pretty dang good. I would like to see and ride in a rig with an AntiRock to see how it handles on and off road. I believe it will be much softer off-road.
I am not understanding your logic unless you dont have sway bar disconnects. Unless you are talking about the rear then I have no idea because most of the people I hang out with have airplanes and not jeeps. Both cost about the same amount to play with!

I am not understanding your logic unless you dont have sway bar disconnects. Unless you are talking about the rear then I have no idea because most of the people I hang out with have airplanes and not jeeps. Both cost about the same amount to play with!
I do have discos, which are fine for slow stuff. Sometime we run a rough road at a higher speed than I would be comfortable running disconnected. Usually not bad but maybe could be better, with the benefit of not dealing with the discos.
It starts to fall into that need vs want thing again. Lol

I got the Savvy rear uppers installed last weekend. Double adjustable arms sure are nice while adjusting.

While under there I noticed the way my exhaust is mounted, it may make a tummy tuck a bit easier.

The Big Brown truck brought me a couple TRE products today. A kinetic rope and couple soft shackles. They are Beefy!!

Reactions: Chris
Haven’t updated in a while. The mod/build bug has got me again. After riding in some other rigs recently, I have decided some properly tuned shocks might be in my future........
If I’m going to spend that much on shocks, well then I might as well go with longer travel shocks, outboarded rear mounts and new front mounts......RIGHT?
Well longer travel shocks require springs that can accommodate the lengths required. So I picked up a new set of Currie springs, second hand from Toximus. Out with the mismatched 3.5” springs. I got the curries installed, rig sits maybe a tad tall but I anticipate some more settling. These springs should pair nicely with some 12” shocks.

48D3B46A-F634-483B-AA9B-0C7E4FA75DBF.jpeg

7D90BFBD-EB19-4E09-B0CE-8E9FEA2983CF.jpeg

CED00BCD-1B27-4723-BA7F-139D335A8EED.jpeg

Picked up a bronco Dana 20 for the doubler swap. Ordered a couple new eco box i from Northwest Fab. The eco box will also serve as the adapter between the Dana 20 and my AX5. Makes for a compact set up that will put me within 1” length of my np231 rear out put. Which is important since the rear drive line cannot afford to be any shorter.