“Thought it was done” build / blog

Picked up a bronco Dana 20 for the doubler swap. Ordered a couple new eco box i from Northwest Fab. The eco box will also serve as the adapter between the Dana 20 and my AX5. Makes for a compact set up that will put me within 1” length of my np231 rear out put. Which is important since the rear drive line cannot afford to be any shorter.
And........another change of plans.
going to run a “Flipped” Dana 300 to a Blackbox/Ecobox. Still gathering and waiting on some parts. This will take a while. Buying parts as funds allow.

So you decided on the D300 over a Bronco D20? Can I ask why? I do know the Branco t=case if very hard to find.

Have you found a good flip kit?

So you decided on the D300 over a Bronco D20? Can I ask why? I do know the Branco t=case if very hard to find.

Have you found a good flip kit?
Mainly just aftermarket support. Parts availability. I just sold the Dana 20 I had bought. I think the Dana 20 parts might be a bit harder to come by.
and the fact the flip kit comes with TJ specific shift set up.

1EE20892-13C1-42D5-813A-1E8C7FAD4338.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
I see D300 t-cases for sale a lot more than I ever see a Bronco D20. I see them on Craigslist & Ebay but I haven't looked for one on FB Market Place.

Good luck with the search.

I see D300 t-cases for sale a lot more than I ever see a Bronco D20. I see them on Craigslist & Ebay but I haven't looked for one on FB Market Place.

Good luck with the search.
Ya. I don’t see many bronco cases for sale. But a bit of looking and I found several in the sub 300 range.
Down east off-road has a flip kit. I think I read it uses the atlas TJ shifter. So the twin sticks fit in the stock console slot. Some minor tunnel mods to accommodate. But looks fairly straightforward.

The NWF reduction box’s have arrived as well as the Dana 300 rebuild kits. Still waiting on a couple CV yokes and a couple bearings and seals for the planetary setup. Flip kits should ship next week. We were ready to get started when parts arrive, but have decided to order LoMax 4-1 gears from JB Conversions for the Dana 300s. They are back ordered until mid May. So things will be hold a bit longer. I would rather wait and do it all at once. Hopefully the gears arrive ahead of schedule. Guess I’ll have time to do some fishing.

772D5AFD-E35C-45FA-8E35-35BC7B176605.jpeg

0373C3F6-5D1C-4517-9127-336FB804C9BE.jpeg

884DCDA3-4538-48DB-9689-8433C97F734E.jpeg

Reactions: Blackjack
I was a bit fired up when I pulled into my driveway to see that both USPS and UPS decided to leave $2500 worth of packages on my sidewalk rather than my porch. I will have a conversation with them tomorrow.

4DE2AC4F-C0CA-4617-8E5D-29F88750B51E.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Vasq
Okay I know you have the case & flip kit but I just found this.

https://midnightmetalworks.com/?fbclid=IwAR0TTk1RI2VZB7-JUa4-RZO5zcNAt1nHEQCz5F7MMgm44JZK4cP8Q0zVV1o

https://www.facebook.com/MidnightMetalworksUSA/
Just wrapped up the inside machining of the #RockBox Dana 300 replacement case. Machined from a solid billet of 6061 T-6.

1621020323827.png

1621020182112.png

1621020199120.png

We are almost ready to release the #rockbox, aluminum showed up for our first production run and we are about to wrap up our shifting assemblies. Things are finally coming together.

Left or right hand drop.
$1400

Okay I know you have the case & flip kit but I just found this.

https://midnightmetalworks.com/?fbclid=IwAR0TTk1RI2VZB7-JUa4-RZO5zcNAt1nHEQCz5F7MMgm44JZK4cP8Q0zVV1o

https://www.facebook.com/MidnightMetalworksUSA/
Just wrapped up the inside machining of the #RockBox Dana 300 replacement case. Machined from a solid billet of 6061 T-6.

View attachment 252427

View attachment 252425

View attachment 252426

We are almost ready to release the #rockbox, aluminum showed up for our first production run and we are about to wrap up our shifting assemblies. Things are finally coming together.

Left or right hand drop.
$1400
I had not seen that case. Cheapest one I have seen. Flipping the case is still a lot cheaper. The DEO kit moves the shift rails so they are on top and uses Atlas shifters so they will fit into the stock location in the console.
now we are just waiting on our 4-1 gears to arrive. Then sort through the mess of parts and assemble it all.
having both 2.73-1 and 4-1 will be sweet.

I had not seen that case. Cheapest one I have seen. Flipping the case is still a lot cheaper. The DEO kit moves the shift rails so they are on top and uses Atlas shifters so they will fit into the stock location in the console.
now we are just waiting on our 4-1 gears to arrive. Then sort through the mess of parts and assemble it all.
having both 2.73-1 and 4-1 will be sweet.

Yep I hadn't either. And you were the first person I thought of from our other conversations about this.

Look forward to seeing this come together.

Yep I hadn't either. And you were the first person I thought of from our other conversations about this.

Look forward to seeing this come together.
Yes. I think I have everything in place the I can think of. It’s the unknown issues that cause the headaches. Not sure how the drive lines are going to play out. I really think they will be around 1-1.5” shorter out back and about the same but longer up front. Will get a better idea when I get the skid off and measure the 231 lengths.

We have decided that waiting for the 4-1 gears was testing out patience. So we will start working on rebuilding the 300s this weekend. The combined low between the planetary and the 300 will be 7-1, which is plenty low. Even for a 4cyl manual. Having 2.72 and 7-1 should be more than enough selection for any terrain. Will try to snap a few photos, but there are much better tutorials out there for a Dana 300 build.

Reactions: astjp2 and Wildman
We have decided that waiting for the 4-1 gears was testing out patience. So we will start working on rebuilding the 300s this weekend. The combined low between the planetary and the 300 will be 7-1, which is plenty low. Even for a 4cyl manual. Having 2.72 and 7-1 should be more than enough selection for any terrain. Will try to snap a few photos, but there are much better tutorials out there for a Dana 300 build.
Good luck and even just a picture or two would be nice. Bummer on the low range gears.

Good luck and even just a picture or two would be nice. Bummer on the low range gears.
Yes and no on the gears. I think it would have been a waste and only used for fucking off. Lol
Hopefully will get everything put together this weekend. The following weekend looks like a weekend wheeling trip to the High lakes. Then hopefully June 12th will be the install date.