“Thought it was done” build / blog

Got the winch finished and installed tonight.

BEC32709-E537-4402-A540-72C40371A484.jpeg

Bad news is my battery died after winding the rope 6 revolutions. Jump started it and the alternator is only putting out 12.6 volts at idle. 13.2 when revved up so looks like my alternator took a crap. Lucky it was in my driveway and not out on the road or trail.

Got the winch finished and installed tonight.

View attachment 328200
Looks good.
Bad news is my battery died after winding the rope 6 revolutions. Jump started it and the alternator is only putting out 12.6 volts at idle. 13.2 when revved up so looks like my alternator took a crap. Lucky it was in my driveway and not out on the road or trail.
Bummer. Since you have to do it look into the 160 amp upgrade.

Reactions: Wildman
Ok I will look into it. Since it is putting out some voltage good chance it is just the alternator and not the PCM? Seems like PCM would be all or nothing correct?
Supposed to be a way to test that but I do not have access to a FSM to look at the moment.

Well my battery tested good on 3 different testers. My alternator is putting out 14 volts. I found my key switch was wonky. I could remove my key in any position. I think I accidentally turned it to ACC and the radio and amp draw 3ish amps when on, even with volume all the way down. I replaced the key switch today. All seems well, but time will tell I guess. I think the battery got hot and the PCM cut back the charge voltage. That’s why I was only reading the 12.6.

I found out the replacement switches have a relearn and you can reuse your factory key.

I was under my Jeep today adjusting my shift linkage and I notice a red fluid trail down my radiator hose. Little investigating shows a leaky water pump gasket. Pressure tested my cooling system, it’s leaking right at the top. The thermostats housing is dry and I could see coolant coming through the gasket when pressurized. Pulley has a bit of play. So I will change the pump as well.

image.jpg

Looks like the pump was leaking a bit more than I thought. There was also some moisture at the heater hose tube, so that will be replaced as well. The idler pulley sounds and feels a bit gravely so might as well do it too. The coolant was really rusty colored again. It turned rusty about 6 months after I purchased the Jeep. I flushed everything good a few years ago and plan to run a flush through it again after reassembly before adding fresh coolant.

5FCA276C-C5A4-40F8-A7A2-2E1DA918E577.jpeg

541F97F8-4C22-45FB-9B41-F66C85116673.jpeg

23098928-6248-4C29-A85D-EBBE256916C8.jpeg

BB02560C-81D3-44BE-885F-FD633B24EC85.jpeg

Finally got around to making and installing a rack and “trunk” for the cargo area. Will allow me to keep my things secure when the top is off.
Used the seat belt mount to hold the side down. This kept me from having to add me holes to the floor. I did add one bolt hole in the front though.

F496E268-25F4-42FE-9306-DDB2B5143C7C.jpeg

99CD6251-75DD-4D14-BD2E-C84B13CB56A2.jpeg

AFACC3B1-1E33-41B0-AC4D-615A0A3FC24D.jpeg

85D2C051-4E46-41F7-960A-B6880E737B75.jpeg

571204AD-47EC-48C1-9F66-A48AA50A5293.jpeg

My truck was at my wife’s work, busy tourist parking lot. Middle of the day. A customer parked near my wife and went in to get a few things. When he came out he noticed a gas smell and saw gas under the truck. He went back inside and notified my wife. They went back out and found a hole in the tank with a soda cup collecting fuel. The police and fire department came out. Cleaned up the mess and moved the truck. I arrived shortly after. We noticed a beat up shady looking car parked behind the truck. At this point nobody was around but me and my wife. Then I noticed somebody in the car. I finished picking up some fuel containers. My wife headed over and took photos of the car. I started over to talk to the guy and he started up the car and left. The police said he was wanted for some other things. The bastard sat in his car hiding the entire time until police and everyone had left. When he noticed our attention he decided to leave. 🤬

There is a special Hell these thieving bastards need to go to!
Insurance will cover it after the $500 deductible. But it pisses me off. I wish I knew for sure that was the guy in the car. Probably best I didn’t. I had a large pipe picked out in my work truck……….

Reactions: Wildman
Insurance will cover it after the $500 deductible. But it pisses me off. I wish I knew for sure that was the guy in the car. Probably best I didn’t. I had a large pipe picked out in my work truck……….
4 D cell Mag light will keep you legal and get the job done.