“Thought it was done” build / blog

The worst vib/noise for me is when i lug the motor (thanks 42RLE) atlas rattles like crazy. Terrible noise. Got better when i adjusted my rear DS but still there.
My samurai case was loud when under no load, like coasting down a hill in 4wd. Rattled pretty loud. Got used to it though.

I won’t mind any low range noise. Just hope it’s not bad in high. Samurai case was only loud after adding 4-1 gears. My 300 is stock so hoppy it will be quiet.

A bit more progress tonight. Just need to fab up a bracket for the cable shifter and I think they will be ready to get installed.

2CE86D49-3B8F-484B-B071-366039FA8B24.jpeg

Well after a very long day. We have one rig completed, minus shifters for the t case. The flip kit came with “universal” shift levers not the TJ specific levers. So I will get them ordered Monday.
We got the other case installed in the second TJ. Will get it buttoned up tomorrow.
One thing to note for anyone interested in this. The bearing/seal retainer on the front of the EcoBox, where it mates with the transmission, pay close attention when mating them together. On both our AX 5s they would not mate up flush. The recessed machines area that the retainer bolts to is machined .070 less deep on the Ecobox vs the AX5. We could not use the supplied retainer bolts, had to use a standard hex head bolt. We also had to clearance the retainer a bit. Then they both mated up nice and flush.
Another not or the flipped Dana300 coupled to the NWF Ecobox I shortened my rear DLine 5/8”. The front is about 1” longer. Neither appear to be enough for any worry on my rig. I am not running stock shafts either so ymmv.
Here is a photo of the machined area where the retainer bolts to.

EB24D52D-B1A4-4B18-9842-F8368999B432.png

A lot g weekend but we got new doubler setups in 2 rigs, except for the tcase shifters. Other than that they are complete. I only drove mine a couple hundred feet. My brother in law drove his 15 miles home. He said all was normal, no vibrations or anything else. So things are looking promising that it will be a snag free project. I am heading camping with the family Thursday through the weekend so won’t get back to this until the following weekend. Super excited to see the end result.
4 cylinders with a manual really need the super low gears.
Here are a couple snap shots of the BILs case before we put the skid back on.

6B914112-BE73-4820-B84A-C78A9ECC02F2.jpeg

9C26D709-3A8B-487E-9DBE-EB4EF823E175.jpeg

A561839C-59F7-4D84-BC31-E4C6EA8CFCF4.jpeg

WOW that looks really good. Can't wait to hear what you think of the new lower lower gearing once you're able to get it out on the trails. And having two of them to compare to each other should make it even better. IMO you're a lucky guy to have a BIL that is into a hobby the same as you.

Yes it’s fun, but it’s double the work lol. Everything on this project I ordered 2 of, he paid for his half. He has been working 6 days a week for months so I had done all of the research and rebuilt the cases and assembled everything. We both worked together this weekend to get them both installed. We both have 4cyl manuals. His build is a lot different from mine. But we wheel together and have a lot of fun. Looking forward to the 7.12-1 crawl ratio. If we feel we are missing anything between the 2.72-1 and 7.12-1 we could install 4-1 in the case. Reuniting in 2.72, 4.0 and 10.88. I dont think we will feel the need once we can engage the tcases and see the 7-1 in Action. Soon I will be on to the next project.......shocks. Tuned fox’s.
Along with a Swayloc. I like the control my stock bar gives on road, but it is too stiff for off-road. Sway bar disconnected is too free for my high speed mountain dirt road driving, not really high speed, 30mph-ish. A bit more control there will be great.

We finished up the installs today. Gonna love the new gears. I will get a video up of the stock vs lo-low gears.
At 7-1 there is almost no change in speed when you give it gas. Looking forward to using them on the trail.
It was way too damn hot today in NorCal. Was hot enough to shrink the heat shrink tubing for the shift linkage adjusters. Lol.
There is no change in on road drivability. No gear noise or any other noticeable changes. Time will tell if it was worth the money. 😆

We finished up the installs today. Gonna love the new gears. I will get a video up of the stock vs lo-low gears.
At 7-1 there is almost no change in speed when you give it gas. Looking forward to using them on the trail.
It was way too damn hot today in NorCal. Was hot enough to shrink the heat shrink tubing for the shift linkage adjusters. Lol.
There is no change in on road drivability. No gear noise or any other noticeable changes. Time will tell if it was worth the money. 😆
Dude, if it was a challenge and you enjoyed doing it - it’s already worth the money. Nice work.

Well my shocks are going to have to wait a while. I was woke up this morning by my wife who I formed me we had no water. Looks like our well has succumbed to the dreadful drought. Pump guy was able to drop my pump a few feet to get the water flowing again. But it won’t last long as the water level is dropping fast. My pump was set 50’ below the water level in 07’. So I spent the rest of the day finding a storage tank and pump to help get us by until we can get a drill rig in to drill another well. Could be a while as the wells in norcal are drying up fast and the well guys are already behind. Ugh.

Well my shocks are going to have to wait a while. I was woke up this morning by my wife who I formed me we had no water. Looks like our well has succumbed to the dreadful drought. Pump guy was able to drop my pump a few feet to get the water flowing again. But it won’t last long as the water level is dropping fast. My pump was set 50’ below the water level in 07’. So I spent the rest of the day finding a storage tank and pump to help get us by until we can get a drill rig in to drill another well. Could be a while as the wells in norcal are drying up fast and the well guys are already behind. Ugh.
That’s frightening.

Reactions: Wildman
Sorry about the water, but man those transfer cases are awesome looking. I love reading the interesting projects people take on. Nice work! (y)

Reactions: Wildman
Sorry about the water, but man those transfer cases are awesome looking. I love reading the interesting projects people take on. Nice work! (y)
I am looking forward to using them. I will get a video comparing stock low to the new low soon. Just pretty busy trying to prepare for no water.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun