“Thought it was done” build / blog

Got to play a little with the new cases. It is very nice to not have to work so hard. Just let it go, nice and slow and controlled.

7EC623D5-5035-446C-A13A-EC4DD5A7C4E2.jpeg

Now if I can just get the doubler box to quit leaking. I used some brush on permatex gasket maker, under the recommendation of someone. It obviously was the incorrect stuff to use as every joint is leaking. I pulled the box and regasketed with Ultra Grey RTV. Letting it cure for 24 hours. Then will see if I got it sealed well. I did find out, others may already know, Permatex “Right Stuff” can be used immediately. No cure time. Thinking that may be my new RTV of choice.

Reactions: Wildman and mvigo
Now if I can just get the doubler box to quit leaking. I used some brush on permatex gasket maker, under the recommendation of someone. It obviously was the incorrect stuff to use as every joint is leaking. I pulled the box and regasketed with Ultra Grey RTV. Letting it cure for 24 hours. Then will see if I got it sealed well. I did find out, others may already know, Permatex “Right Stuff” can be used immediately. No cure time. Thinking that may be my new RTV of choice.

From all the threads I remember reading before this was always one of the complaints about doing the flip on the D300.
Hope you get it to stop leaking and can just get out and enjoy it.

Reactions: Gollywomper
From all the threads I remember reading before this was always one of the complaints about doing the flip on the D300.
Hope you get it to stop leaking and can just get out and enjoy it.
The 300 isn’t leaking, yet. Lol. The doubler box didn’t like my original choice of sealant. The flip kit I used moves the shift rods to the top so the seals are not below the fluid line. All old unused holes are taped and pipe plugs installed. So far the 300 has not been the issue. The NWF eco box and my transmission output have been the leaks. Think I have them solved, I hope.

OK well that is good news. Hope the new sealing works and you can enjoy all your work.

Well no leaks so far. Got oil in it. Been running in gear for 45 mins without drive lines. Tired of pulling it apart. Will let it run some more then sit overnight before reassembling. Lol. I am a bit paranoid now.

8FABB801-2255-4F99-888D-CF63480DD889.jpeg

Looks like I have the doubler all sealed up. Ran it parked in gear for over an hour. Will test drive tonight.
I did notice previously some random bits of oil on the 300. Clean it off and it wouldn’t return so didn’t think much of it. For some odd reason I checked my vent line and found it was very restricted at the filter. So I was probably building pressure causing the small leaks.
I also had a bit of fluid leaking from the vent line. I assumed I Put a bit too much fluid in. So I drained and refilled and it wasn’t over full. There is no level check hole so it is filled by volume. The breather fitting on the flipped 300 really needs to be higher on the case. I figured there are a lot of these kits running around with out issue so it must be fine. Since I need to replace/install new vent breathers for the tcase and doubler box I figured I would use the transparent fuel filters and they would double as a small catch can should I continue to have an issue. Will see how it works.
No my BIL doesn’t seem to be sharing my leak fun. His is sealed up fine. Lol.

It is a nice hole. Not real deep but it works. Water isn’t as cold as usual this year. But we spent most of the day in the water. Was a nice break from the heat and stress.

Reactions: B00mb00m and Alex01
It is a nice hole. Not real deep but it works. Water isn’t as cold as usual this year. But we spent most of the day in the water. Was a nice break from the heat and stress.
Looks wonderful! Allergic to cake!? Man what a sucky existence 🤣😂

Looks like I have all of my leaks taken care of. Except loosing oil from the vent line after highway runs. I moved my vent to the highest point on the inspection cover. I almost did this before the install but talked myself out of it. Anyone considering a flipped 300 I would advise moving the vent up higher.
The red dot is where I moved the vent too.
It was where the green dot is. So will see if this helps or not.

F413C4C0-2435-49CC-A974-E40BF2BFB95E.jpeg

E0659ADF-062E-4D9C-B5F7-C811462EF54D.jpeg

I was hoping to countersink the mounting bolts. However the slotted holes are far to large. They measure close to 1”x3/4”. That’s crazy big. Not sure which way to go on fasteners yet.

I was hoping to countersink the mounting bolts. However the slotted holes are far to large. They measure close to 1”x3/4”. That’s crazy big. Not sure which way to go on fasteners yet.

I know these are steel but this is what I used on my skid. I wasn't going to weld them on but finally decided to. I think they are big enough you could countersink a bolt into these too.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/FIXIT.html

Reactions: Alex01