“Upgraded” cooling idea

KingCarGuyZ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Alright, so I’ve had this dumb idea and I need someone to point out to me exactly why it’s dumb. I was talking to a Ford guy (late 70’s F100) who was having a hard time keeping his truck cool (he runs electric fans cause it’s a mudder/water crosser) and wound up going with a 2013 Ford Taurus fan that supposedly draws a ridiculous Amount of air.

so I had this idea, what if someone where to add aTaurus fam to the TJ, between the grill and the rad. As not to remove the stock fan. And then just ran the fans motor backwards. Would it help the cooling at low speed, what Might it hurt? Thoughts?

Alright, so I’ve had this dumb idea and I need someone to point out to me exactly why it’s dumb.
I had a dumb idea that needed to be pointed out once too.
1599967017928.png
I took people's advice and removed the shock boots.;)

Barbie-Jeep.Wrangler-1.JPG

Alright, so I’ve had this dumb idea and I need someone to point out to me exactly why it’s dumb. I was talking to a Ford guy (late 70’s F100) who was having a hard time keeping his truck cool (he runs electric fans cause it’s a mudder/water crosser) and wound up going with a 2013 Ford Taurus fan that supposedly draws a ridiculous Amount of air.

so I had this idea, what if someone where to add aTaurus fam to the TJ, between the grill and the rad. As not to remove the stock fan. And then just ran the fans motor any backwards. Would it help the cooling at low speed, what Might it hurt? Thoughts?
It’s been done already can’t remember where I saw it U tube video or something Anyway the end result was not worth the modifications

I remember back in the day, this was a hot topic on the JeepsUnlimited forum. If I remember correctly quite a few people did the Taurus fan to help improve cooling, but they installed it as a primary cooling fan.
There were also a lot of mixed opinions on it. some said it helped, others say it hindered.
You can't wire the fan backwards and expect any sort of result because the blades are pitched incorrectly.
I can also tell you that the Taurus fan works great on Foxbody Mustangs , always kept mine cool especially at the race track.

Last edited:
Honda did a similar thing on the GoldWing motorcycle. They reversed the fan to keep the hot air from the riders legs. The result was at lower speeds the air would stall and the motorcycle would over heat. Not sure with the other fan running correctly that would be an issue.

well I’m glad to hear it’s as dumb an idea as I thought. Just sitting there it seemed like to could work. Guess not.

Always thought that was more of a boosted car thing, but I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work. I think I’ll try replacing the rad first.
A stock vehicle, including a TJ, shouldn't need it for normal use. My father had one setup on his '63 GMC 1 ton because it was a trailer towing rig. It really helped on long uphills with the trailer.

Always thought that was more of a boosted car thing, but I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work. I think I’ll try replacing the rad first.
Stay STRICTLY with the Mopar radiator. More rows, all aluminum, etc. don't work as well as the factory Mopar radiator does. It would take a hell of an expensive and exceptionally well designed radiator to even equal it. Really.

Stay STRICTLY with the Mopar radiator. More rows, all aluminum, etc. don't work as well as the factory Mopar radiator does. It would take a hell of an expensive and exceptionally well designed radiator to even equal it. Really.
Yeah, watched some comparison videos, seems like MOPAR is the way to go, some Videos were getting mishimoto to work almost as well as MOPAR, but it was also another $150, no thanks.