I think the bottom end is strong on the 4.0, and any time a proper stroker is done, better rods and pistons are used which can take alot of abuse, even with intake enhancers. Keeping it below 10 psi will ensure reliability. I think what shortens the life on any stroker or intake enhanced engine is pre-ignition. This kills pistons and valves in short order. Being able to keep the detonation in check needs to be a priority to extending maximum life from these engines and to keep detonation in check, must have high quality fuel 91 or 93 at all times. For us that can be difficult because we are in the boonies most of the time, and getting this fuel can be difficult.

I suspect you’re right. I hear a lot of stories about strikers failing with lower miles, but I have to wonder what they were using for a tune and for octane.

Reactions: motomick76
I've heard more issues with cam problems on the strokers I've read about. I don't know if they were running a super aggressive cam or what but I've just read a lot of guys who went with a V-8 after their stroked 4.0 went tits up.

Reactions: motomick76
I've heard more issues with cam problems on the strokers I've read about. I don't know if they were running a super aggressive cam or what but I've just read a lot of guys who went with a V-8 after their stroked 4.0 went tits up.

I agree with this. Also small issues that do not affect production engines tend to manifest when output is increased. In the 4.0's case are cam issues. On a trail/wheeling rig I worry about two things, good fuel and controlling heat. Both of these are more difficult to control as good fuel is hard to get, and wheeling there is not a lot of airflow around engine/radiator. I am going to assume most builders with strokers do not consider increasing the cooling capacity, and wheeling in the desert puts a lot more stress on everything. Also increased heat increases the chance of pre-ignition, which we know unchecked easily puts holes in pistons and valves.

Hello again, would you happen to remember the part number and where you bought the fuel pump 4 pin connector from?
Moving along with my swap and working on the fuel system now! Also for the benefit of anyone else that may have went with Daves'
custom motor mounts, they are great mounts if your not running stock control arms. But if you are... you will have to modify them like motormick76 did. I had already purchased a set so I modified them before installing them. I'm sure they will workout very well.
Thanks again for all the help!

Hello again, would you happen to remember the part number and where you bought the fuel pump 4 pin connector from?
Moving along with my swap and working on the fuel system now! Also for the benefit of anyone else that may have went with Daves'
custom motor mounts, they are great mounts if your not running stock control arms. But if you are... you will have to modify them like motormick76 did. I had already purchased a set so I modified them before installing them. I'm sure they will workout very well.
Thanks again for all the help!

For the fuel pump I think I modified the connector on the pump itself to fit the original harness.

Looking back, I am pretty disappointed I went with Dave's mounts. After further investigation, they will only work with the stock, short arm setup. If I wanted to upgrade to mid-arm, I would need to go with a totally different mount on the drivers side as it would hit the upper arm.

Gad to hear everything is going well for your project.

Reactions: Wildman
Difference between. 4,8. And. 5,3. Same block..4.8. Uses flat top pistons. Cranks. Are different. 5,3. Has longer stroke. I believe 3.622. Same as 5,7 4,8 has shorter stroke 4,8 did come. With manual. Trans and early models. Had a longer stick out from back. Of block longer by ,400 but. This was in early. Years. 99 and maybe 2000. All 5.3 use as shorter crank all 5,3 came with auto trans it is shorter by.400 i believe t b e luc. 1050 flywheel. Makes up this distance by being thicker they. Were used on later models when gm ran all Cranks with the shorter. Profile. For automatics say 2002 or 01. Hope this is helpful