01 sport clutccchhhhh

Hennis.6

Bout an 01 sport 4.0 5 speed to drive to work and cruise around in. Figured it would also give me something to work on in my spare time. Might have bit of more than I can chew but not ready to tap out yet. So among a multitude of other somewhat smaller issues I want/ need to fix today I had quite the surprise after I got home. I drove the Jeep to work last night. When I finished up work this morning I went to my dads to hang out while contractor put his new roof on. When I went to leave realized the battery was dead because I left the lights on. Took a while to jump it, just wouldn’t turnover, almost sounded like it wasn’t getting fuel. After about 15 min I got it to start but it seemed to drop to a super low idle after I released the gas. Almost to the point it would stall out. Drove it home and it actually stalled at a red light 1 time on the way home. I must mention I’ve only had the Jeep for a couple months and driven it a handful of times but never had any issues like this. Once I got it home and parked it, I released the clutch and it started making an almost rattle like clanging noise. Kinda like a baffle in a broken muffler. When I got under the Jeep it seemed to be coming from the transmission area. In neutral if I press the clutch it goes away. If I give it some throttle, it goes away. I have a video of if but don’t know how to post it. Am I wrong to think it’s almost got to be a clutch issue? Bearing or pressure plate? Didn’t have any issues going through the gears on my way home, although it did pop out of gear 2 times and it has never done that before. I have an O2 sensor that I need to replace just haven’t done it yet. Maybe that’s the reason it was stalling? It came with a 4 in RC lift with the 1” TC drop brackets. I get what i assume is driveshaft vibration in the rear when I hit about 55. Planning on getting an SYE and driveshaft kit from advanced adapters and see if it’s something I can tackle myself. If it’s the clutch causing my sound I should probably pull transmission while I have transfer case out too?

A dead/nearly dead battery will cause that exact issue. Modern engines no longer can run well or for long once the jump start battery is disconnected from a dead/nearly dead battery. That's because modern alternators require (!) 12 volts from the battery to power the alternator's exciter circuit.

Without sufficient power from the battery the alternator can't produce enough power to power the ignition system.

And no, the alternator cannot recharge a dead battery.

Charge your battery overnight with a bench top charger, just a couple hours won't do it.

Finally, even if it seems to be charged after being charged all night, take the battery to a battery shop and ask them to do a "load test" on the battery. Running a battery completely dead damages it and it will never hold as much of a charge as it did. A load test places a heavy electrical load on the battery while monitoring its output voltage. If its voltage drops off too much too quickly it's toast.

Reactions: Zorba and CodaMan
A dead/nearly dead battery will cause that exact issue. Modern engines no longer can run well or for long once the jump start battery is disconnected from a dead/nearly dead battery. That's because modern alternators require (!) 12 volts from the battery to power the alternator's exciter circuit.

Without sufficient power from the battery the alternator can't produce enough power to power the ignition system.

And no, the alternator cannot recharge a dead battery.

Charge your battery overnight with a bench top charger, just a couple hours won't do it.

Finally, even if it seems to be charged after being charged all night, take the battery to a battery shop and ask them to do a "load test" on the battery. Running a battery completely dead damages it and it will never hold as much of a charge as it did. A load test places a heavy electrical load on the battery while monitoring its output voltage. If its voltage drops off too much too quickly it's toast.

Thank you Mr. Bransford, I will charge the battery up and go from there!!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
And also have the alternator tested. With so much electronics on modern vehicles an alt trying to juice a dead battery can sometimes cause the alt to fail. I'm not sure if the TJ falls into this category, but it can't hurt to be safe. Some batteries can never be fully brought back after a complete discharge. And if the alt was trying to put max amps back in to it they can have their acid actually boiled out. Even a slightly low bat can hold far less volts.
Check the clutch master cylinder for proper fluid level before tearing into a clutch.