01 TJ shifter coming out of gear after lift install and center console issues

Tashford30415

Ok so new the the group but I did some searches and no results so if this has been addressed somewhere let me know. So My 01 TJ is a 2.5 manual and I put a 4” RC full lift on it with 33” tires included in this kit are brackets to lower the transfer case to adjust the angle on the drive shafts after the lift. And now to the point with all that done when I put my Jeep into reverse it wants to kick it out of gear so I took off the factory runner shifter boot to look and when shifter is put into any of the lower gears (2nd,4th,and rev) the shifter is actually hitting the center console but when shifting up (1st,3rd and 5th) there is a good 2 inch clearance between the console and shifter.

So my first question is ...is there a difference between the manual and the automatic consoles like is the shifter hole located in a different spot on one of them shifted forward or back wondering if someone before me has put the wrong console in the Jeep and just lived with it because when I got it it didn’t have the bezel for the bottom of the shifter boot and I ordered a new one and has Never been quite rite help and pics are appreciated thanks

Or get rid of the transfer case drop and do it right with a set of adjustable control arms, SYE, and a double cardan driveshaft.

Reactions: Lilnuts
You raised the console up (effectively) and tilted the transmission back (with the TC drop). Unscrew your console and move to the rear 1/2 to 3/4" is the easiest way to solve your issue. You can cut some of the console out also.

Ok I see what you are saying but I contacted RC and have Checked several forums and seem to be the person that has had this issue after install which is what brought me to the question about the consoles being different On manual and automatic but I will take the mounting screws out and see if moving it back is an option but I don’t think it is because the console has at least one welded bracket that I know of that is not able to be moved

Ok I see what you are saying but I contacted RC and have Checked several forums and seem to be the person that has had this issue after install which is what brought me to the question about the consoles being different On manual and automatic but I will take the mounting screws out and see if moving it back is an option but I don’t think it is because the console has at least one welded bracket that I know of that is not able to be moved
It will work.. common issue. I moved mine back couple inches.. was worse in cold weather popping out of gear.
I recall I made a new hole for the screw... Used self tapping to make it easy.