02 Wrangler making noise when I hit the gas

Mapriho

I have a 2002 Wrangler, 6 cyl with auto trans, that recently started to make a high pitched noise when I push down on the gas. It is a bit hard to describe the noise. Not quite a whistle. Almost like metal parts rubbing together to make a high pitched noise. I believe it is coming from the front. It only appears when I lightly hit the gas. If I accelerate quickly, there is no noise. It is not always there, so I have a hard time pinning it down. The noise does change pitch depending on what gear I am in. I do not hear the noise when in neutral or driving in reverse. I brought it in to my local shop for a test drive but they did not hear anything. I'd appreciate any ideas on what the noise could be.

Here is some info from the Service manual for my 2003. I figure it shouldn't be too much different for this. hopefully this helps!

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

It's very likely that it's a bad pulley bearing. Typically it's the idler pulley that goes bad, but I've seen the alternator pulley bearing go bad as well. Both have the symptoms you describe.

I noticed something like this on mine a week ago. 2004 5speed 4.0L. It's only when I'm in second gear around 2.5-3k rpm. The noise is in between a high pitched squeal and a whistle and isn't crazy loud, but is annoying sometimes. I changed the transmission fluid to Synchromax and the jeep shifted better instantly. The noise is still there after the fluid change. I haven't yet tracked it down further, but it does sound more like it's coming from the front end and less the transmission.

I noticed something like this on mine a week ago. 2004 5speed 4.0L. It's only when I'm in second gear around 2.5-3k rpm. The noise is in between a high pitched squeal and a whistle and isn't crazy loud, but is annoying sometimes. I changed the transmission fluid to Synchromax and the jeep shifted better instantly. The noise is still there after the fluid change. I haven't yet tracked it down further, but it does sound more like it's coming from the front end and less the transmission.

I’m glad to hear you don’t think it’s the trans for your issue. I really hope it is not with mine. I have had mine rebuilt a couple of times over the past few years. Had a problem with downshifting in the cold. It would get stuck in second and choke out at a stop.

My noise is certainly coming from the front. I have not had time to check the vacuum as was recommended. I’ll post back after I do.

Reactions: Chris
I have a 2002 Wrangler, 6 cyl with auto trans, that recently started to make a high pitched noise when I push down on the gas. It is a bit hard to describe the noise. Not quite a whistle. Almost like metal parts rubbing together to make a high pitched noise. I believe it is coming from the front. It only appears when I lightly hit the gas. If I accelerate quickly, there is no noise. It is not always there, so I have a hard time pinning it down. The noise does change pitch depending on what gear I am in. I do not hear the noise when in neutral or driving in reverse. I brought it in to my local shop for a test drive but they did not hear anything. I'd appreciate any ideas on what the noise could be.
Did you finally figured out what was making the high Pitched noise? I have a 2002 TJ 4L automatic trans and recently started making the noise exactly as you described it.

If you were accelerating quickly then you must have had an engine swap.🤔
What engine do you have?
Also, sometimes an exhaust rub can produce a high pitched noise under the right conditions. But most likley it will be in the accessory drive belt area. Those part time noises are hell to try and pin down.