03-06 front seat belt receiver bolt junkyard replacement

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I figured I'd post this up in case anybody is ever searching for a replacement bolt for an 03-06 inner front seat belt receiver. I was gifted a set of seats but one of these bolts was not included. The Mopar bolt is long since discontinued but the same bolt part number is used in the 04-05 Dodge Neon. These are plentiful at pick-and-pull yards. I grabbed one from an 05 and it fits perfectly. The only difference is the Neon uses a plastic washer instead of the wave washer on the TJ. Just for curiosity I grabbed one from and 01 and it also fit. If there is a difference between the two I couldn't tell.

Is this the bolt that holds the inboard seatbelt piece (the receiver) to the tub? Is there something special about this bolt that a grade 8 from the hardware store wouldn't be sufficient for?

Is this the bolt that holds the inboard seatbelt piece (the receiver) to the tub? Is there something special about this bolt that a grade 8 from the hardware store wouldn't be sufficient for?

Yeah, it’s Mopar buddy!

• Haha
Reactions: matkal and hear

The 03-06 receiver is attached to the side of the seat and not the tub. The bolt has a shoulder on it that fits the metal strap of the reciever nicely. I'm sure something could be made to work from a hardware store bin but for $1.00 at the junkyard the OEM bolt seemed the easiest and best fitting choice.
Screenshot_20240126_183326_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: matkal and hear

Seat belt hardware is generally grade 5.

Unlike grade 8, grade 5 will bend before it breaks.

Seat belt hardware is generally grade 5.

Unlike grade 8, grade 5 will bend before it breaks.

I've seen this stated before, but seems like while the data supports that grade 5s do have more "bendy-ness" than a grade 8, the grade 5 would also break about 20% before than the grade 8 would even start to deform. But I'm not even interested in debating this so I'm not sure why I'm even replying, or adding more content after this upcoming period.

I'm not a materials engineer, so yeah, whatever.

https://rtstools.com/are-grade-8-bolts-more-brittle-then-grade-5-8-8-vs-10-9-metric/

In general, bolts do like this:

1706367859971.png

And then comparing several grades under load:

1706367896873.png

Reactions: ColoJeep
Well for whatever the reason it’s done, in my experience seat belt hardware is generally grade 5 and I have seen grade 2 on occasion. Not trying to start a debate or argument just noting what I have observed.