04-06 TJ Unlimited Production Numbers by Color

What percent of these LJs are still on the road/trails today?

with the known rust issues, typical DD accidents, and that they are closing in on 20 years...

50-60% would be my first thought, but anyone have an educated guess?

Last edited:
What percent of these LJs are still on the road/trails today?

with the known rust issues, typical DD accidents, and that they are closing in on 20 years...

50-60% would be my first thought, but anyone have an educated guess?
I read some studies on this question for cars. Here is a ballpark table I put together for fun.

0MViRgW9aQyNNqDD5GRiFly1wt=w274-h530-no?authuser=0.png

-=PLMCRZY=-

Glad you’re here!
Were the 2004 LJ VIN’s just randomly sequenced in with the TJ’s? Or did they have their own sequence?
Any chance you have the last 8 of the first retail LJ ?
The 2004 LJs sequence has a little of both going on. Looks like they were batched somewhat. I see larger groups of sequenced VINs than normal, but lots of gaps and holes too.

Smallest (possibly earliest) sequence I see is 4P708797 and the largest is 4P803708. (12,652 total) This includes 100 Pilot builds.

Also, the smallest sequence (removing the pilots) was 4P748909 <— (possibly the first retail LJ)

-=PLMCRZY=-

Last edited:
The 2004 LJs sequence has a little of both going on. Looks like they were batched somewhat. I see larger groups of sequenced VINs than normal, but lots of gaps and holes too.

Smallest (possibly earliest) sequence I see is 4P708797 and the largest is 4P803708. (12,652 total) This includes 100 Pilot builds.

Also, the smallest sequence (removing the pilots) was 4P748909 <— (possibly the first retail LJ)

-=PLMCRZY=-
Thanks!

I read a story once, the Wrangler Unlimited from concept to production was the fastest development of any new vehicle ever sold in the United States.
Actually, American Expedition Vehicles offered a long wheelbase conversion prior to 2004 that Chrysler used as a test bed for the production Unlimited. This led to a fast release. And it wasn't the Brute, which was a separate body bed configuration.

As each year passes, I’m sure some end up wrecked. I wonder how many are still “on the “road”. Maybe 70% ?

I'd love to know how these broke down into 6 speed and auto. I know when I was shopping (both when I bought my black 05 in 2010 and my flame red 06 in 2020) I came across what I would guess was at least 5:1 autos.

Reactions: Irun and NOTNSUV
I'd love to know how these broke down into 6 speed and auto. I know when I was shopping (both when I bought my black 05 in 2010 and my flame red 06 in 2020) I came across what I would guess was at least 5:1 autos.
I guess it's the luck of the draw. When I was looking it seemed like they were all manuals. Of course I wanted a automatic. Time solved that problem for me though! ;)