03 Rubi rear driveshaft rebuild question

Chris G

TJ Enthusiast
I’m changing the u-joints in the rear driveshaft. Per the Denny’s chart, I need 5-795x for position 5 and 5-793x for position 6. Position 5 went in without issue, but now putting in position 6 there appears to be a lot of play. See the video. Is that ok to install or am I missing something here?

92BB35BA-FB3B-4122-A1F0-58B7A686E8E8.jpeg

C2C13A23-C5DC-41E0-BA2E-58611B086A2A.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7213.MOV
    6.9 MB
The one at the axle end of the shaft should be a conversion joint, it's 1330 series in one direction and 3R series in the other. The 1330 side is the side that attaches to the pinion yoke. These will be the two smaller diameter bearing caps. The two caps with snap ring grooves on them should be slightly larger. These two will go into the yoke on the drive shaft and then the c-clip style snap rings will snap into the grooves on the bearing caps, in between the yoke ears. The other two snap rings will not be needed and can be discarded. I believe that in the video you are just using one of the smaller caps that are meant for the pinion yoke and need to grab one of the bigger caps.

Basically the factory shafts on these jeeps were one size and the pinion yoke was another size so they used a conversion joint to make it work. It's a dumb way to do things, it makes it confusing, and I don't know why they did it that way but they did.

The one at the axle end of the shaft should be a conversion joint, it's 1330 series in one direction and 3R series in the other. The 1330 side is the side that attaches to the pinion yoke. These will be the two smaller diameter bearing caps. The two caps with snap ring grooves on them should be slightly larger. These two will go into the yoke on the drive shaft and then the c-clip style snap rings will snap into the grooves on the bearing caps, in between the yoke ears. The other two snap rings will not be needed and can be discarded. I believe that in the video you are just using one of the smaller caps that are meant for the pinion yoke and need to grab one of the bigger caps.

Basically the factory shafts on these jeeps were one size and the pinion yoke was another size so they used a conversion joint to make it work. It's a dumb way to do things, it makes it confusing, and I don't know why they did it that way but they did.
Thanks so much for the excellent explanation. I was just dumbfounded as the yoke didn’t appear damaged in any way and I couldn’t imagine I had damaged it getting the old one out. You learn something new every day, I guess!

Reactions: Shawn at Tom Wood's