03 TJ dashboard light with a key inside a circle

Slikplate54

Hi All. New to Jeeps. Just test drove an ‘03 TJ. it was in very nice condition with 74k miles. It had a dashboard light with a key inside a circle. Quick google search reveals it might be a SKIM malfunction??? I see there’s places online you can send the PCM to get it deleted. Will that actually turn off the dashboard light? Thanks for any input. Could there be other issues involved with this dashboard light? Don’t want this Jeep to drain my wallet. It’s not cheap. 21k.

Welcome to the forum.

I'll just tag in @Irun
He's knowledgeable with the SKIM features.

Any input? Trying to see if I go back today and buy it as long as the SKIM issue is not a major thing.

Usually it's just the SKIM key has gone bad and needs to be replaced. If you have two SKIM keys, which are gray if they are SKIM types, try the other gray key and see if it starts. Black ignition keys do not have the SKIM chip inside and won't work. Well, non-SKIM keys will start the engine but the engine will shut off within 2 seconds and light that symbol on the instrument cluster.

It is a black key, but the engine starts and car runs fine. That’s leads me to believe it’s something else.

Never heard of a commando tj?
They installed and painted Sahara trim the body color, then named it after an old Arnold movie they liked. Either that or they never wore underwear while driving the Jeep. :unsure:
Commando.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
The black key is not chipped, so technically the vehicle should start and shut off after a few seconds.
Does the Jeep have an aftermarket remote star or alarm?
I don’t think so. Maybe the seller is not disclosing all the information I need. I am thinking the SKIM has been tampered with if it starts and runs with a black key. I think I will keep looking.

Reactions: R49
I don’t think so. Maybe the seller is not disclosing all the information I need. I am thinking the SKIM has been tampered with if it starts and runs with a black key. I think I will keep looking.
I have seen aftermarket stuff cause a lot of issues. The jeep looks to be in beautiful condition from the advertisement.
If you are truly interested in it, bargain the repair. Tell the seller you would like to have it diagnosed by a dealer prior to purchasing it.

The Skim controller may be unplugged. If a different engine controller (without Skim activated) is installed, the Jeep will start and run as normal, but the Instrument Cluster will illuminate the Key Symbol because there is no message from Skim / Engine.
Let someone check the VIN stored in the Engine Controller.

Reactions: John Cooper
I have this same light on but I think it is because we replaced the whole gauge cluster. My TJ does not have a SKIM system. Is there a way to turn off the indicator light? Thanks