04’ JMT’s Twin Teenagers Build

Thanks! It’s been a good ride so far. Great story about your daughter. I’m excited to see a build thread on here for her when the time comes!

At 2.25” SL and 1.25” BL, you may be fine for driveline vibes. If not, add a 1”MML and that should lower the TCase output yoke sufficiently to resolve minor vibes. Driveshafts will be fine. Bumpers and winch will add weight, so you should be ready to compensate for that with a spacer. A good set of shocks makes for comfortable driving. I recommend the 0-2” Rancho 5000X shocks in the rear for that lift height and the 2-4” Rancho 5000X for the front. Axles will be slightly off center due to the lift. It’s your call to get adjustable track bar for front and rear or a relocation bracket in the rear. Cheers!
Manual or Auto trans for my daughter to learn?

Manual or Auto trans for my daughter to learn?
I require all my kids to learn on a manual, but that's a dad choice. My oldest daughter has a manual XJ, the twins is auto TJ. That's just because that's what popped up for a good deal. They can drive my manual TJ if they have to. I think it helps people become better drivers. They have to pay attention more. It is more difficult off-road, but that's why I got a hand throttle for mine (best $40 I've spent, Teraflex makes one, they are even good for auto's so your foot doesn't bounce on the pedal when going over rocks).

Just awesome. Good looking kids man, what a great experience as well. Glad you did this.

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
@JMT me reading all the new posts. Enjoying the ride.
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and AndyG
This thread has been awesome. Thanks!
My 22 year old daughter has TJ on 32's . Everyone loves running around in it, and mild off-roading in creeks, etc. as its mostly a stock 4 cylinder/ 5-spd manual.
My 14 year old daughter had hopes of a lifted up pick-up, BUT...I planned on buying a 2005 unlimited after church yesterday...until I started reading this thread!
The 14 year old is determined to not only have a cooler ride than any boy at school, but be able to out drive them off road. She current rides a Polaris 500 Predator ATV proficiently, so she's familiar with reading terrain, keeping momentum, etc. I don't know about her affording her first goal, but she is certainly capable of learning to wheel!
I was looking at the unlimited for the stability of the longer wheel base. I found an un-altered 2005 unlimited 4 speed auto with 156K on it. Interior is super clean. Surface rust on frame and bumper but nothing deep. Hard top which is great for our mid-west winters (and soft-tops are relatively inexpensive for summer time).
Hoping for a couple opinions here, keeping in mind moderate off-roading and driving to school.
I'd like to do a 2.25" suspension lift, 1" or 1.5" body lift (with gas tank lift), 33's (so she's taller than her sister's and I love those maxxis on the twins ride!), bumpers, winch, and skid plates. My son and I took his Focus ST to stage 3, so we can wrench fairly well, including suspension work. Since this will be my first Jeep build...How does the build sound? AND what issues should I expect with the build? Will the driveshafts will be fine as is for this stage or need upgraded??
Down the road, after she's learned a bit, I'd like to add selective lockers and a Rubicrawler (which i assume will need driveshafts at that point).
Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!!
Welcome fellow Hoosier!
On the unlimited you shouldn't have any driveline vibes at that lift range. I did 3" spring lift and a low profile transfer case skid and have no driveline issues.
Looking forward to a build thread on yours.

Reactions: JMT
Really awesome to follow this build! I'm a few years away yet, my daughter is 12, but she's been very interested in the Jeep maintenance and learning about all of it. She even said she wants her own TJ someday! Start them young, raise them right!

You need to teach them not to hook their fingers inside the steering wheel spokes. In the last video you can see his thumb inside the the spokes on the steering wheel. If he was to hit a rock and make the steering jerk to one side or the other if you have any fingers inside the spokes of the steering wheel it can break your fingers. Always keep your hands on the outside diameter of the steering wheel and don't wrap your hands all the way around the wheel.

I hope that makes sense.

You need to teach them not to hook their fingers inside the steering wheel spokes. In the last video you can see his thumb inside the the spokes on the steering wheel. If he was to hit a rock and make the steering jerk to one side or the other if you have any fingers inside the spokes of the steering wheel it can break your fingers. Always keep your hands on the outside diameter of the steering wheel and don't wrap your hands all the way around the wheel.

I hope that makes sense.
I did. Just have to tell them 100 times.

Well...I had to compromise...
The family said nobody wanted to climb in and out of the back of a TJ, and we already had one in the family. The wife said, if we're camping it has to have room for gear. So I looked at some JK's. Found this 2016 with an AEV conversion riding on 37's, Alpine I209 radio and other extras. Oh, did I mention it only had 16,536 miles on it!! The picture below was her first of many trips to Bonnell Creek.
Maybe not the LJ Rubicon I wanted (which I could've bought in excellent condition for slightly less!), but I am looking forward to loads of fun with the family. We are going to Red River Gorge this weekend to see how things go on a day trip.
I think my daughter will have a pretty cool ride to school in 2 years.
Keep posting JMT, I enjoy watching you teach the twins and look forward to using some of your experiences with my daughter!!
Thanks again!!

Rubicon - Sassy.jpg

Well...I had to compromise...
The family said nobody wanted to climb in and out of the back of a TJ, and we already had one in the family. The wife said, if we're camping it has to have room for gear. So I looked at some JK's. Found this 2016 with an AEV conversion riding on 37's, Alpine I209 radio and other extras. Oh, did I mention it only had 16,536 miles on it!! The picture below was her first of many trips to Bonnell Creek.
Maybe not the LJ Rubicon I wanted (which I could've bought in excellent condition for slightly less!), but I am looking forward to loads of fun with the family. We are going to Red River Gorge this weekend to see how things go on a day trip.
I think my daughter will have a pretty cool ride to school in 2 years.
Keep posting JMT, I enjoy watching you teach the twins and look forward to using some of your experiences with my daughter!!
Thanks again!!

View attachment 286477
Hey! Just seeing this. Beautiful JK. Very unique! Looks like a smart move for carrying gear and getting the family in the great outdoors! AEV!!! Blessed!

Reactions: Alex01
School has kept the Twins busy. Today I urged them to get off the computer and go change the Dana 30 Diff fluid. Didn’t take much coaxing. Winter is coming, short days and long nights. Moving is always good. Needed to be changed badly.

BD544B1D-7594-410C-B3E7-03506340C041.jpeg

444F9DAA-F3AF-45D3-A6A1-A04B9EFF2794.jpeg

6FA19AF2-C083-4CFF-B6A7-7FC12C06B818.jpeg

School has kept the Twins busy. Today I urged them to get off the computer and go change the Dana 30 Diff fluid. Didn’t take much coaxing. Winter is coming, short days and long nights. Moving is always good. Needed to be changed badly.

View attachment 287194

View attachment 287195

View attachment 287196
Normal level of metal and the flash is highlighting it?

I can't get over the fact they are so involved. You did something right!!!

Reactions: DrDmoney
They enjoy the Jeep, but here’s what they love to do. I’m doing my best to keep up.

We need to plan a rubicon trip. You guys can spend a few days extra with us in truckee and run away to Northstar to do some downhill mountain biking. It's a ski resort during the winter but in summer you take the chair lift up with a bike and downhill mountain bike.