04’ JMT’s Twin Teenagers Build

Ok, well, all the more reason to rent a coolant system pressure kit. I'm getting out later today so I'll go pick one up to test both the '04 TJ and the '14 Yukon.

Day 7:

We have a lot to do. Well, they do. I made them research cleaning the engine, and they followed to a T the instructions from another forum post. People are so neglectful of these TJ’s. It turned out nicer than mine. 🤣

Before:
View attachment 235850
After:
View attachment 235851

Any chance you have the thread they used? Would love to reference it for myself!

Ok, well, all the more reason to rent a coolant system pressure kit. I'm getting out later today so I'll go pick one up to test both the '04 TJ and the '14 Yukon.

Yes, but you need to test the TJ for exhaust gasses in the coolant BEFORE you try to pressure test it. Read what @DrDmoney wrote. If you have a blown head gasket or other problem and try doing a pressure test first, you run the chance of pushing coolant into areas it's not supposed to be.
I KNOW you have a lot going on and many irons in the fire but do this right, so you don't damage something more.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Yes, but you need to test the TJ for exhaust gasses in the coolant BEFORE you try to pressure test it. Read what @DrDmoney wrote. If you have a blown head gasket or other problem and try doing a pressure test first, you run the chance of pushing coolant into areas it's not supposed to be.
I KNOW you have a lot going on and many irons in the fire but do this right, so you don't damage something more.

Oh, ok, I see, I need to do a block test first, and if it passes, then do the pressure test. I don't know this stuff, so even if I read it I can read past something important, especially on days like today when everyone wants something all the time.

Did the block test. 2 minutes while engine warm and at idle. No color change. Thankfully that test turned out negative.

They didn’t have the compression test kit available, so they had one sent over. I’ll go get it tomorrow.

I’m the meantime, my son drove to work tonight without issue.

Also in the news the Yukon cooling system is getting an overhaul. New heater T’s, hoses, and radiator. A pretty penny, but should last the lifetime of the rig.

DF0D9F67-6D2C-41EE-81DF-3A9ACA9F4B58.jpeg

Did the block test. 2 minutes while engine warm and at idle. No color change. Thankfully that test turned out negative.

They didn’t have the compression test kit available, so they had one sent over. I’ll go get it tomorrow.

Also in the news the Yukon cooling system is getting an overhaul. New heater T’s, hoses, and radiator. A pretty penny, but should last the lifetime of the rig.

View attachment 382057

That’s good news for both vehicles what year is the Yukon?

Reactions: Wildman
On mine due to the cracked head I was never able to use that tester correctly. As soon as the engine warmed up it'd blow that bulb right out of the radiator neck.

Glad to hear that isn't it.

Another trick for getting all the air out of your coolant system is to park it on a hill or ramps or something to put it at an angle. And when you are first filling it make sure you turn the heater on HOT & fan on high to try and help the coolant circulate. From the issues you were describing it might be just a bad radiator cap.

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
That’s good news for both vehicles what year is the Yukon?

The Yukon is 2014. It’s a transition year, so some things from the 2013’s are the same, such as the cooling system. It’s the 5.3L V-8 with 4H. I lifted it 2.5” in front and 1” in rear. I wish it had more rake for pulling, but I needed the lift to clear tires and it was a cheap and good solution.

On mine due to the cracked head I was never able to use that tester correctly. As soon as the engine warmed up it'd blow that bulb right out of the radiator neck.

Glad to hear that isn't it.

Another trick for getting all the air out of your coolant system is to park it on a hill or ramps or something to put it at an angle. And when you are first filling it make sure you turn the heater on HOT & fan on high to try and help the coolant circulate. From the issues you were describing it might be just a bad radiator cap.

😳

I can see that. Get that front end up high. Get the air out. A Mopar radiator cap is on order. I’ll be able to test the cap tomorrow. If it’s bad I have another one on the way. If not I have a backup radiator cap. Thanks for all help.

View attachment 382057

That’s a lot of illegal substance on that bumper. I don’t know what else could come in powdery white in large quantities 🌵

• Haha
Reactions: JMT

View attachment 382057

I know what that white stuff is !!! And please do not send any this way :p

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and FarFire70
Any chance you have the thread they used? Would love to reference it for myself!

Yikes! That was too long ago. Sorry I don’t recall. I know they covered the battery, PCM and some other wires before cleaning. When I do mine I just cover the battery and PCM and get after it. Water gets in there anyway while driving normally.

Reactions: wborisenok and RINC
Maybe the thermostat is sticking or bad. It's intermittent, so I don't know where else to go. I'll replace it with the one @Mike_H suggested a page back. Thanks Mike.

That would be my next move. Since it is only doing it impermanently I think you're on the right track with the thermostat.

That would be my next move. Since it is only doing it impermanently I think you're on the right track with the thermostat.

Thanks to you too Rick. Always.

Merry Christmas!

Reactions: RINC
Happy New Year @JMT.

I seem to recall in one of your threads that you picked up a later model airbox and replaced the earlier model one on one of your or your boys' TJs. I thought it was this thread but have had a search and can't find it. Is my mind playing tricks with me or am I just looking in the wrong place?

If you did do that swap has it worked out OK? What were the benefits / reasons for doing it? I have just spotted a 2006 TJ in a scrap yard a couple of hours away from me and as they don't come up very often in the UK I am thinking of trying to pick up a few parts from it, and if it is still available thought maybe I should see what they want for the airbox.

Happy New Year @JMT.

I seem to recall in one of your threads that you picked up a later model airbox and replaced the earlier model one on one of your or your boys' TJs. I thought it was this thread but have had a search and can't find it. Is my mind playing tricks with me or am I just looking in the wrong place?

If you did do that swap has it worked out OK? What were the benefits / reasons for doing it? I have just spotted a 2006 TJ in a scrap yard a couple of hours away from me and as they don't come up very often in the UK I am thinking of trying to pick up a few parts from it, and if it is still available thought maybe I should see what they want for the airbox.

Just found it. I see it was reinstatement on the '05 Rubicon, rather than an upgrade for a '97 - '04.