04’ JMT’s Twin Teenagers Build

Great, now I need to find them
I read that. I can identify. I’ve got so many parts in the attic and I know I have something but end up going through all the storage containers again just to find a bolt or strap holder. Fortunately most of the bolts and pieces are in labeled ziplocks.

I good way to organize small parts, if you have room on a shelf or drawer to store them, is used (and obliviously cleaned) peanut butter jars, Kraft parmesan cheese jars and old medication bottles. I keep a lot of little things that might easily get lost in a box in stuff like that.

I read that. I can identify. I’ve got so many parts in the attic and I know I have something but end up going through all the storage containers again just to find a bolt or strap holder. Fortunately most of the bolts and pieces are in labeled ziplocks.
I think they are in a drawer but not sure. I’m really good at buying Jeep parts and not so good at installing them. A twin ARB compressor just dinged my credit card earlier today that I didn’t really need.

I good way to organize small parts, if you have room on a shelf or drawer to store them, is used (and obliviously cleaned) peanut butter jars, Kraft parmesan cheese jars and old medication bottles. I keep a lot of little things that might easily get lost in a box in stuff like that.
Don’t let the significant other run the peanut butter jar through the dishwasher to clean it. Melted the hell out of one I wanted for screws.

Don’t let the significant other run the peanut butter jar through the dishwasher to clean it. Melted the hell out of one I wanted for screws.

I‘ll bet that was a mess to clean up.

I always soak them in soapy water overnight then hand wash.

The square nut/candy jars from Costco are fantastic too, they have large screw on lids making it easy to reach in

Day 21: The saga continues

The PO had removed the door sill guards, but not the nasty adhesive it left behind. 🙄 We tried to remove it with WD-40, Goo Gone, Heat Gun, et al, and nothing worked. We concluded that if we couldn’t get it off, it wasn’t coming off if, so we installed the new Rugged Ridge ones over it. A good tip is to warm these up with a heat gun before so they are nice and pliable and you can get them perfectly aligned. Looks much cleaner. These don’t hang under the door either, like some, an undesirable aesthetic.
F0875567-A123-468A-84E0-DDDA30F116E9.jpeg

We removed the front and rear bumpers and the classy front trim piece today. The bumpers were in need of fresh paint, plus, we had cut the front bumper down to a stubby and needed to finish it up so we could add the Mopar stubby end caps. I drilled the holes for those before painting, and also filled the smaller holes with some bondo. There were two near the end that were too big. 🙁 Here’s what it all looked like before.
092AA4CF-E525-47A5-A1D9-69B8C63BA519.jpeg

As you dig a little deeper you find more surface rust.
56960F84-2AC3-4121-8829-495D623B55D1.jpeg

Sanded it all down to prep for painting.
64D27B2F-AE77-4B42-B86A-10F46FF59368.jpeg

The front bumper and my hopeful Bondo repair.
70C6B5BB-A733-4DD8-8532-D49DA52FFD96.jpeg

The rear crossmember was really bad. All surface rust though. The boys prefer sanding, I prefer painting, it’s a good combination.
D0C37750-305B-45DC-ADBC-44FC51F7B703.jpeg

511F7A9F-80CF-46AC-AD26-3D1B99F92218.jpeg

Crossmember with self-etching primer.
68DED5B9-CB2E-4B55-A5E3-E1D44481E929.jpeg

Front crossmember and frame about 1foot back with self-etching primer.
8510D6E7-2475-4B19-971B-468397242DD8.jpeg

15C475CB-6D34-4BD7-A794-5CCDE28E4CC8.jpeg
6F190320-D970-41D4-9D5E-EDAA78BC089E.jpeg

Bumpers and tow hooks getting their fair share of the Satin Black
DC9FA2C7-F435-41A7-B325-9BEBC9DD1314.jpeg

Bolts all anti-seized and ready for installing everything tomorrow afternoon.
7847DAB8-18F2-4658-945E-0B3EEC0CFD03.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 21 continued...

When we button everything up tomorrow, we’ll add the steering box skid that @DrDmoney graciously donated (zoom in to see). I really don’t think they realized what it was or what it was for till today. They’re going to need it!

732503DC-2721-4C5C-9667-B220CB656349.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this Jeep coming to Moab?
They’ve been taking the WA State drivers course the last six weeks. They passed their written exam last night. They still scare me a bit when driving my NSG-370. Hell, even when driving their 42rle I get a bit scared. If we brought it I’d have a lot to do. A long weekend and about $500 would get it squared away. Thinking...sure would be fun to have the whole fam along on the trails in Moab!

They’ve been taking the WA State drivers course the last six weeks. They passed their written exam last night. They still scare me a bit when driving my NSG-370. Hell, even when driving their 42rle I get a bit scared. If we brought it I’d have a lot to do. A long weekend and about $500 would get it squared away. Thinking...sure would be fun to have the whole fam along on the trails in Moab!

Yep my daughter would scare me now and then with her driving either in my truck or her TJ. Heck she still scares me and she's been driving for 2 years.

Yep having everyone on the trail makes it that much better. I'd also ask and see how many people might have an open seat that is going. Trying to monitor the twins and pay attention to your driving might prove more hectic than enjoyable.
Just trying to offer some thoughts. I know as much fun as it would be to have my daughter driving in her own rig I know I'd be more stressed.

Yep my daughter would scare me now and then with her driving either in my truck or her TJ. Heck she still scares me and she's been driving for 2 years.

Yep having everyone on the trail makes it that much better. I'd also ask and see how many people might have an open seat that is going. Trying to monitor the twins and pay attention to your driving might prove more hectic than enjoyable.
Just trying to offer some thoughts. I know as much fun as it would be to have my daughter driving in her own rig I know I'd be more stressed.
Good ideas.

I’d definitely be more stressed. We’d probably take some easier trails like Pritchett Canyon or BFE, but it would still be more to stress about.

On a more serious note, every time I mention riding with someone else they don’t get very excited. They’re just nervous about meeting people. 🤣

Good ideas.

I’d definitely be more stressed. We’d probably take some easier trails like Pritchett Canyon or BFE, but it would still be more to stress about.

On a more serious note, every time I mention riding with someone else they don’t get very excited. They’re just nervous about meeting people. 🤣
We decided to run Pritchett if you want to have some entertainment ;).

Day 22:

The bumpers spent the night curing. I use a Satin Black Enamel. They are really excited about the front bumper bc we cut it, filled the holes with Bondo, and capped it with the Mopar stubby end caps and it looks good!

0C9E29F6-8ACB-445B-B7D4-134886B144E7.jpeg

520D361F-68AF-4D9C-A3B1-7C2BBF832099.jpeg

D5B84D23-6FCF-4109-8438-3A7742AB53DD.jpeg