04’ JMT’s Twin Teenagers Build

Day 22 cont...:
the rear crossmember and rear bumper look good too. One things for sure, I like just a crossmember, or one of those bumpers like the High Venture that gives you such a great departure angle. Heck, I was going to post a pic, but I didn’t take any. 🙁

They installed their first aftermarket mod today: a steering box skid from @DrDmoney. 👍🏼

They’ve been taking the WA State drivers course the last six weeks. They passed their written exam last night. They still scare me a bit when driving my NSG-370. Hell, even when driving their 42rle I get a bit scared. If we brought it I’d have a lot to do. A long weekend and about $500 would get it squared away. Thinking...sure would be fun to have the whole fam along on the trails in Moab!

My oldest got her license last month after a year of driving with my wife or me.

My wife texted me a picture of both my daughters leaving the house for their first, adult free excursion the same day the oldest was official. That picture and message scared the hell out of me.

My oldest got her license last month after a year of driving with my wife or me.

My wife texted me a picture of both my daughters leaving the house for their first, adult free excursion the same day the oldest was official. That picture and message scared the hell out of me.
Better you than me! That’s terrifying.

Reactions: Wildman and zebra12
Day 28:

@mrblaine sent us a box full of goodies. So cool, really awesome. He reached out about donating some Black Magic Brake pads and asked if we needed anything else. I had 3 nutserts spinning at the TCase. He sent us a whole 03-06 hardware set, some more nutserts, the updated tool, Currie CA Washers, hats, lip balm, stickers. All this came from the guy so many consider an SOB. They just don’t understand him. Boys sporting the BMB hats as they contemplate how to change out the TJ Door paddles. They’re really cool hats and I’m jealous.

B66D181F-E3E3-459C-8418-0AB5FF9F3F10.jpeg

99C8FA84-8EA5-4ADB-840F-26C34645CF18.jpeg

0BF07A23-9E09-44D2-9E54-4D72500EE91F.jpeg

Day 28:

@mrblaine sent us a box full of goodies. So cool, really awesome. He reached out about donating some Black Magic Brake pads and asked if we needed anything else. I had 3 nutserts spinning at the TCase. He sent us a whole 03-06 hardware set, some more nutserts, the updated tool, Currie CA Washers, hats, lip balm, stickers. All this came from the guy so many consider an SOB. They just don’t understand him. Boys sporting the BMB hats as they contemplate how to change out the TJ Door paddles. They’re really cool hats and I’m jealous.

View attachment 240264

View attachment 240265

View attachment 240266
Born natural, out in the garage bare foot.🤣

When they get proficient at door handles let me know, I'd like to flip my door handles since they feel backwards to me compared to the F250
They are proficient after the second one. Tomorrow. You can drop off your rig about 10am. 😉

Last edited:
Day 28:

Well, to be fair, I never know what will strike my fancy as being someone I don't mind helping. When I read your thread about how they were very appreciative of what you had done for them, that is something I don't mind being involved in. As we discussed, use whatever you can and pass along what you can't.

Day 29:

Changing the passenger door paddle was not as pain free as the driver. The boys struggled to get the two locking pieces out. I used a long scredriver and hammer from underneath and they broke free. After the removal of the old paddle they installed the new paddle. The problem was when you hook up the long rod to the door latch mechanism with the small pin. When you use the latch it ddidn't pull out as far as the others. We installed it anyway. It worked fine until we locked the door. Now the door is locked and we can't get it open. I haven't messed with it, but right now we're screwed. I'll have to roll the window down tomorrow and see if I can get it to unlock. Then I'll remove the new paddle and try to sort out the guide rod and why it's not working properly, as well as the lock. Everything was working before, but the paddle was so chewed it had to go. 🙄

Day 29:

There is a phenomenon, especially visible on white cars known as "rail dust." I didn't know anything about it till we got this TJ. If you have orange spots on your white clear coat then you need to figure out how to remove it. What happens is tiny metal pieces from your brake pads or if you live in an industrialized area, get embedded in the clear coat and then they rust. The solution is to buy some of this Iron X, spray it on, leave it for 3-5 minutes and spray off. It's rather easy to do, but we may need to do a few spots twice. It did help quite a bit. You probably have it on your TJ, but if it's not white, you probably never see it. Still a good idea to remove because it is damaging your clear coat.

https://removeorangespotsfromwhitep...-dust-what-causes-orange-spots-the-secret-is/
This is a pic of it while it is working. The purple spots and streaks are tiny metal shavings getting neutralized.
D78E73D3-8FFC-441B-B1D2-DB808B7C6706.jpeg

Day 29:

There is a phenomenon, especially visible on white cars known as "rail dust." I didn't know anything about it till we got this TJ. If you have orange spots on your white clear coat then you need to figure out how to remove it. What happens is tiny metal pieces from your brake pads or if you live in an industrialized area, get embedded in the clear coat and then they rust. The solution is to buy some of this Iron X, spray it on, leave it for 3-5 minutes and spray off. It's rather easy to do, but we may need to do a few spots twice. It did help quite a bit. You probably have it on your TJ, but if it's not white, you probably never see it. Still a good idea to remove because it is damaging your clear coat.

https://removeorangespotsfromwhitep...-dust-what-causes-orange-spots-the-secret-is/
This is a pic of it while it is working. The purple spots and streaks are tiny metal shavings getting neutralized.
View attachment 240634
For dingy road grime and oil film under the hood (especially of white vehicles), this stuff works amazingly well.
1617514903597.png

Day 29:

View attachment 240634

Some call it " Patina " :cool: