04’ JMT’s Twin Teenagers Build

We’re maxed out at 2.5” of lift. With the BL we can remove 1” of bump and get more travel. Will be really cool!

Day???: The rig has some pretty good driveline vibes after the lift. Expected. The good news is we planned a 1" MML and are pairing that with a 1.25" Savvy BL, many thanks to @Alex01 and @Mike_H for the pucks. They only had 1 to buy, and I can't remember who I bought it from, but they have a full set of pucks. That will start tomorrow.

They still needed to align it after the lift, so this was their first alignment by themselves. I did help a little. They were 3/4' toe in. I explained that the stock TJ tie rod is a thin walled hollow tube. They had seen these fold easy on the trail in the past, but were still surprised. I told them I would probably move my ZJ over to theirs. They said, "What are you going to?" I said, "Currie CurrectiLync." They said, "yeah, yeah, you're getting to upgrade." I said, "Yeah, you're getting an upgrade too, so shut up!" They just laughed. 🤣

EC1FFA3E-7980-4C23-9E72-47005567DEFD.jpeg

6733356D-3927-423A-B278-B31FDE178799.jpeg

7560AB2C-C160-4D04-A891-0F25DB04465D.jpeg

Day???: The rig has some pretty good driveline vibes after the lift. Expected. The good news is we planned a 1" MML and are pairing that with a 1.25" Savvy BL, many thanks to @Alex01 and @Mike_H for the pucks. They only had 1 to buy, and I can't remember who I bought it from, but they have a full set of pucks. That will start tomorrow.

They still needed to align it after the lift, so this was their first alignment by themselves. I did help a little. They were 3/4' toe in. I explained that the stock TJ tie rod is a thin walled hollow tube. They had seen these fold easy on the trail in the past, but were still surprised. I told them I would probably move my ZJ over to theirs. They said, "What are you going to?" I said, "Currie CurrectiLync." They said, "yeah, yeah, you're getting to upgrade." I said, "Yeah, you're getting an upgrade too, so shut up!" They just laughed. 🤣

View attachment 267917

View attachment 267919

View attachment 267920
do you have an SYE and DCDS from the 4:1 swap?

Reactions: Alex01
Not really relevant to your question but, I can't help but envision swapping out the parts from one 231 to the other. Personally, I think I'd just swap out the cases.

He had a SSSYE

Reactions: DrDmoney
Yes, I have your rear half of the case and my front half. I have your SYE and a DCDS. I have not figured out if the DC was hooked up to a Dana 44 pinion or Dana 35. Do you know off-hand? At any rate, the CA's, SYE and DC are next on the build plan. Right now they can't afford a DCDS if they end up needing to buy one. Of course, they may be able to get the one you sent lengthened or shortened. I believe the Dana 44 pinion is longer than a Dana 35, but not by much and probably not substantial.

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
Yes, I have your rear half of the case and my front half. I have your SYE and a DCDS. I have not figured out if the DC was hooked up to a Dana 44 pinion or Dana 35. Do you know off-hand? At any rate, the CA's, SYE and DC are next on the build plan. Right now they can't afford a DCDS if they end up needing to buy one. Of course, they may be able to get the one you sent lengthened or shortened. I believe the Dana 44 pinion is longer than a Dana 35, but not by much and probably not substantial.
Dana 44

IIRC it's 2"

Reactions: DrDmoney
How does the 42rle compare to the NV3550?

How does the 42rle compare to the NV3550?
Honestly, I think it’s simply a matter of whether you want an auto or a manual. The 42rle is sensitive to anything being off. So I feel like it’s more fragile. The NV3550 is smoother shifting and more consistent than the 6-speed, without the advantage of the 1st gear ratio of the 6-speed, but the five speed has longer gears, so you don’t feel like you are shifting all the time in town.

A great feature of the 42rle is the ability to add the Rubicrawler.

I think the negativity toward the overdrive on the 42rle is blown out of proportion. To be fair, I’m not driving up really steep highways at 70mph. I live in the foothills of the Rocky’s. The highways tend to go through the mountains, with only a few passes over the mountains.

Reactions: Alex01
Honestly, I think it’s simply a matter of whether you want an auto or a manual. The 42rle is sensitive to anything being off. So I feel like it’s more fragile. The NV3550 is smoother shifting and more consistent than the 6-speed, without the advantage of the 1st gear ratio of the 6-speed, but the five speed has longer gears, so you don’t feel like you are shifting all the time in town.

A great feature of the 42rle is the ability to add the Rubicrawler.

I think the negativity toward the overdrive on the 42rle is blown out of proportion. To be fair, I’m not driving up really steep highways at 70mph. I live in the foothills of the Rocky’s. The highways tend to go through the mountains, with only a few passes over the mountains.
I was really asking about dimensions, is the 42rle longer or shorter but I always thought the 42rle/rubicrawler combo was the $4!t

Reactions: Wildman and Alex01
I was really asking about dimensions, is the 42rle longer or shorter but I always thought the 42rle/rubicrawler combo was the $4!t
Now look buddy…if you want a specific answer you gotta ask a specific question! 😉

I’ll measure it tomorrow when I’m under there. 😎

Last edited:
Given you can replace a manual's front DS with an auto's I'm putting a beer on the difference is 1/2" or less.

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
Given you can replace a manual's front DS with an auto's I'm putting a beer on the difference is 1/2" or less.
My guess is they are all pretty close, otherwise any longer and the rear shaft would get a lot shorter real quick like.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
Is the Dana 44 yoke and the ujoint there the same you would use with a Dana 35? I think it is IIRC

Day 129: Garage time. I did not enjoy working with the twins today. I told them to watch the Rokmen BL and MML videos. Supposedly they did, but they didn’t know shit. They’re messy in the garage. They were arguing with each other. I had to problem solve a few areas. It was annoying. I was like, “Get your shit together or we’re going to spend all day doing a 3 hr job.

66773C05-B5D0-4E70-ABA9-3F24D8CF5DCF.jpeg

AA2D3400-F0EF-46A6-8EF9-0EF1BE5871CC.jpeg