'04 Jeep Rubicon build thread going closer to stock with 2" lift

Sorry no pictures, but I wanted to share some of my day and the Jeep project. I went over to play around a bit with the front end and the fenders arrived. They are Crown. I think in hindsight, I should have tried to find OEM used somewhere to be honest. I think they are okay, with some work, but certainly not great. I took them up to the body shop along with my hood. We talked about it and I am now painting the entire front clip!!!! WAY more money, but whatever I am going to be in deep at this point, so the Jeep is heading there next week. The OME lift also arrived, so they will hopefully go on in the next week or so as well, but I don't like yellow shocks so they are at my home to be sprayed black. Tomorrow's project. Then there is the chipped rusty hinge issue and of course the expensive top. Many thousands are going to be spent in the end really, but it should be pretty nice. The stereo is all torn apart of course, so that is another project which requires an amp install, which will be over $100. Hope it will be on the street by the end of March. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Ordered a lot of stuff today. I will post progress in a few days, but pretty excited just to have a plan in place.

1. OEM Mopar Slush mats
2. Kestrol hinges for hood, doors and windshield (black) Yep, going for new and will give it a go. Can always paint them later if needed.
3. Driver's side door handle OEM. Damn thing is rusty!
4. New Rubicon hood stickers. Repainting the hood. Damn things are expensive, but whatever.
5. Took the Old Man E shocks up to the paint shop and going to have them painted semigloss black to match the springs. Not a fan of yellow under the Jeep and mine is going to be black and silver only except the tail lights.
6. New OEM front bumper with stubby ends as well as a new OEM sway bar cover that goes behind the bumper. The new stuff wasn't all that expensive to be honest, so why bother with used and aftermarket paint, etc.

On this list a twill top and Goodrich KO's and fix the stereo with an amp. Looks like the aftermarket speakers are pretty good quality, so it should sound pretty good for what it is. If not, I will probably go bigger as I am a musician and love music.

Things are moving along now, but the Jeep looks sad still. Nothing to really post yet, but soon. I just can't wait to drive a Jeep again!

Do you still feel it is missing something? I don't know what it is about this Jeep, but I really like it. I don't think silver could look as nice regardless, but I could shoot for it. On the other hand, I really like Chris's prior black Rubicon. Stunning!

sidejeepnospare.jpg

Reactions: Chris, TJ2 and JMT
So as I plan things out, I have been looking at some pictures of Jeeps. Love it! Anyway, I know it is controversial, but I am leaning pretty hard towards no spare like this. I like the round lights as well. Looks clean and old school in a way. Sure the old Jeeps had spares, but the tires were tiny compared to 32's and 33's of today that take up the entire rear. What do you think of this look? View attachment 32151
Looks clean, I don't mind it. I went with a spare and just spent $300 for what is basically tail gate decoration. :)

I have been working a lot and my brother from another mother put the OME lift on. His quote, "It still looks lifted". Now I realize after reading that that Rubicon has a higher stance due to a perch, but I am hoping it isn't too high. Damn it is the middle of the night and I can't sleep! Damn full moon.

So as I plan things out, I have been looking at some pictures of Jeeps. Love it! Anyway, I know it is controversial, but I am leaning pretty hard towards no spare like this. I like the round lights as well. Looks clean and old school in a way. Sure the old Jeeps had spares, but the tires were tiny compared to 32's and 33's of today that take up the entire rear. What do you think of this look? View attachment 32151
As opinions go, I have one. I think it looks better with the spare, but I like the round tail lights. Not a fan of the pixelated look most of the LED tail lights have, though. I'm considering these, because the sheer number of LEDs combats the pixelated look...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...rntail-lights-w-61-leds-3-pin-connector/1197/

But these are probably my faves...

https://www.easternmarine.com/led-glolight-flange-4inch-round-tail-light-stl101rfb

If I don't do these, I'm considering doing something downright weird! LOL

Well it is dropped down a little, with the 2" lift. Sure seems high to me. Man, I am getting to be an old man. Guess if it is still too high, I can just go stock, of course with a pile of money spent! I'll drive it for a while and decide later. Looks like crap still, but it will come around.
02272018861.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Well it is dropped down a little, with the 2" lift. Sure seems high to me. Man, I am getting to be an old man. Guess if it is still too high, I can just go stock, of course with a pile of money spent! I'll drive it for a while and decide later. Looks like crap still, but it will come around. View attachment 33263
I don't think it looks like crap, it will look good with a little more aggressive tire.

I am not sure about my direction now. I feel the OME 2" lift might be too high and I don't really want to run 33's now. I might be going stock, which means I will have OME 2" springs that are coming off. I am not sure yet, but will they be hard to sell? Brand new. Of course I am going to take a massive hit, but I wonder if I can sell them? I am now considered an old man and apparently older than Emu.

Well it is dropped down a little, with the 2" lift. Sure seems high to me. Man, I am getting to be an old man. Guess if it is still too high, I can just go stock, of course with a pile of money spent! I'll drive it for a while and decide later. Looks like crap still, but it will come around. View attachment 33263
If those are the 32" tires still, I think it looks perfect. This is mine, and it looks very similar:
img_0874-1-jpg.jpg

img_0866-1-jpg.jpg

Yours might be a tad higher due to the HD springs. Mine are light duty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

I think it looks great. Paired with an aggressive looking tire (i.e. a Goodyear Duratrac), I think it will look even better! That height is right where I like it!

If those are the 32" tires still, I think it looks perfect. This is mine, and it looks very similar:
View attachment 33350
View attachment 33351

Yours might be a tad higher due to the HD springs. Mine are light duty.

Maybe the HD springs really make that much difference. Not sure what to do at the moment. I will have a better look on Thursday/Friday and think more about it. I don't want to run too high and want the Jeep to blend a bit and not be hard for my wife to enter. I am going stock bumpers so that isn't going to make it sit any lower. I hate the tires I have on there at the moment, but I feel 33's might look better and that will raise me up another little bit. Not sure about this idea.

If I wasn't recovering from shoulder surgery and I could get under my Jeep, I'd swap springs with you. But it's going to be a good while before I can do suspension work.

Okay, I been looking at my Jeep and maybe what is making me not like it is the tire size and style. I think I need to go to my original plan. Sorry Chris, I am completely going to follow your old build, but might have a tiny variation. I might go with 305/70 16's, BUT I just talked to my buddy/mechanic and he explained to me not all tires are created equal. Just because a tire is a 285/75 16 for example doesn't mean it is the same as another tire of the same number. He stated that you must go to the manufacture's website to get the exact measurement of each tire. I am going to around 33's and sidestep like on Chris's though. What pushed me to this was me seeing a red TJ on my way to work on Wednesday. It must have been meant to be, because I left early to ride my bike further and relax in the nice weather, but BOOM a TJ was sitting there with a 3 1/2 inch lift and 33's. It wasn't exactly what I want, but was enough to realize that I want the 33's. Just looks right to me. If I have to, I will throw on a 1" body lift, but I don't think I will have to. Oh and that Jeep that I saw had no spare on the back and was clean looking. Here is Chris's past Jeep that I just think looks great. Sure if I go big off road, it isn't the best set up, but I don't think I will be doing big time wheeling to be honest. So this is my current plan. The only difference is soft top, front bumper, clear corners and black hinges on my silver.

Transforming from this.

02272018861-jpg.jpg

to this

12304428_10207045780197164_316405510377947926_o-jpg.jpg

Reactions: Thetacorocker
Okay, I been looking at my Jeep and maybe what is making me not like it is the tire size and style. I think I need to go to my original plan. Sorry Chris, I am completely going to follow your old build, but might have a tiny variation. I might go with 305/70 16's, BUT I just talked to my buddy/mechanic and he explained to me not all tires are created equal. Just because a tire is a 285/75 16 for example doesn't mean it is the same as another tire of the same number. He stated that you must go to the manufacture's website to get the exact measurement of each tire. I am going to around 33's and sidestep like on Chris's though. What pushed me to this was me seeing a red TJ on my way to work on Wednesday. It must have been meant to be, because I left early to ride my bike further and relax in the nice weather, but BOOM a TJ was sitting there with a 3 1/2 inch lift and 33's. It wasn't exactly what I want, but was enough to realize that I want the 33's. Just looks right to me. If I have to, I will throw on a 1" body lift, but I don't think I will have to. Oh and that Jeep that I saw had no spare on the back and was clean looking. Here is Chris's past Jeep that I just think looks great. Sure if I go big off road, it isn't the best set up, but I don't think I will be doing big time wheeling to be honest. So this is my current plan. The only difference is soft top, front bumper, clear corners and black hinges on my silver.

Transforming from this.

View attachment 33511

to this

View attachment 33512
Yep that black one was nice. You’ll like 33s. I still think my 2.5” OME lift with HD springs would have cleared these small 33” KM2s. I despise the body lift I had put on lol but oh well it’s there now. Bfgs run small as far as tires go, that much I do know. 2.5” lift with 33s does look good on these TJs.

Reactions: gg1
Yep that black one was nice. You’ll like 33s. I still think my 2.5” OME lift with HD springs would have cleared these small 33” KM2s. I despise the body lift I had put on lol but oh well it’s there now. Bfgs run small as far as tires go, that much I do know. 2.5” lift with 33s does look good on these TJs.

Yes, it does.

I think what some people miss is that the tire "tread" has a lot to do with the look. You can have a 34 smooth tread tire or 32 Mud terrain and the 32 will look meaner :).
Better... Just my thoughts.
We all have a disease

Reactions: Starrs

Transforming from this.

View attachment 33511

to this

View attachment 33512

Yes, your buddy is correct. The numbers on the sidewall don't mean much, as what's advertised as a 33" tire is often times smaller or larger than 33". In that photo you have of my old TJ, it was running the OME 2.5" lift at the time. I feel that was a tiny bit too small for the tires I had on there (285/75r16), but I had intended to put a 1" body lift on it, bringing the total lift to 3.5", and that would have been jut the right amount of lift.

I miss that Jeep, but I'm glad I got rid of it at the same time, because I hated black. My new one is going to be almost identical to that. I've got a 2.5" OME lift though, and a 1/2" body lift (so 3" total), and one size smaller tire (so 32" basically).

But in the end, it will look pretty close!

Either way, it's a good plan to have. That's a solid build that won't break the bank. You'll still want to re-gear, but you obviously know that.

Reactions: gg1