'04 Jeep Rubicon build thread going closer to stock with 2" lift

I think what some people miss is that the tire "tread" has a lot to do with the look. You can have a 34 smooth tread tire or 32 Mud terrain and the 32 will look meaner :).
Better... Just my thoughts.
We all have a disease

I do agree that the smooth tires my Jeep came with don't help the look at all. I am going to throw that big 305 70 16 that is on there as a spare on there to have a look. It is super aggressive looking, but it will give me an idea of size.

Reactions: Starrs
If those are the 32" tires still, I think it looks perfect. This is mine, and it looks very similar:
View attachment 33350
View attachment 33351

Yours might be a tad higher due to the HD springs. Mine are light duty.
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG

This is a 2" BDS lift with 32's ....
OEM bumper with end caps and push-in plastic plugs in the holes. (front & rear)
You have a great project .....

Ugh. Came on here to vent a little. Sorry. So I went with the Crown fenders and it is at a body shop. Keeping in mind, I know the people there personally and one is my neighbor, so it isn't like I am thinking about trust here. The Crowns aren't very good at all. Lousy fit, bolt holes don't line up and they don't even match. One has a seem in it that will require a fair amount of fill. I think they are going back and I am going with Keystone. Keystone fenders are DOT and OEM correct. Also there is a Keystone right down the street, so if you have a problem you get a new part the next day. Oh well, not sure how much more they will cost. I think the fenders are around $300ish instead of $125, but if you have a lot more labor in the install, and then you are going to have a bunch of fill, you might as well pay the $300 anyway.

Well I am getting a little closer to it being on the road. Found some issues that were pretty big to be honest, but I was lucky enough to get OEM parts for the fixes. Here are a couple of pictures. Putting on new flares, rebuilding the rear end and new door handle. Put on black hinges made in Ohio, which is kind of different. I am putting clear lights on the ambers at some point. It will be all black and silver other than the tail lights. Still not sure about the rear tire. I am leaning towards having one. Probably going with 285 tires, so almost 33's.

03292018890.jpg

03292018891.jpg

Well I am getting a little closer to it being on the road. Found some issues that were pretty big to be honest, but I was lucky enough to get OEM parts for the fixes. Here are a couple of pictures. Putting on new flares, rebuilding the rear end and new door handle. Put on black hinges made in Ohio, which is kind of different. I am putting clear lights on the ambers at some point. It will be all black and silver other than the tail lights. Still not sure about the rear tire. I am leaning towards having one. Probably going with 285 tires, so almost 33's.
Which tires are you going with? 285s are a good size, I’m biased tho as that’s what I have on mine.

Which tires are you going with? 285s are a good size, I’m biased tho as that’s what I have on mine.

I am going BFG KO's. I like them and have a connection. They run a little smaller than 33's, so that is actually good considering my lift height. I am hoping my Jeep looks close to Chris's black one. That was sick, but black clean is just too nice, but a pain.

I am nearly set on a somewhat final decision on it, but there are little things that will come along. I know my build is a little boring, but I am saving this Rubi and hope it will be nice for many years and hopefully decades to come.

I am going BFG KO's. I like them and have a connection. They run a little smaller than 33's, so that is actually good considering my lift height. I am hoping my Jeep looks close to Chris's black one. That was sick, but black clean is just too nice, but a pain.

I am nearly set on a somewhat final decision on it, but there are little things that will come along. I know my build is a little boring, but I am saving this Rubi and hope it will be nice for many years and hopefully decades to come.
I like it. So is the difference in price between the KOs and KO2s pretty significant? Or just partial to the first gen tire? Both are very good.

I like it. So is the difference in price between the KOs and KO2s pretty significant? Or just partial to the first gen tire? Both are very good.

I don't think you can get KO's anymore? Whatever they are calling them these days is what I am getting. It is the right tire for what I will be doing. Sorry for the late reply.

I don't think you can get KO's anymore? Whatever they are calling them these days is what I am getting. It is the right tire for what I will be doing. Sorry for the late reply.
JK Rubicon takeoffs, but then you have to get 17" wheels.

I’m sorry I thought you said in your post you were getting “KOs” the second gen is referred to KO2s

Ordered tires today BFG K02 285 75 16's and a Bestop twill.

I am putting the spare on the back as I took it off and didn't like it without it. I think you can do that if you play around with a real clean tailgate and such, but I am just going with a simple look.

I should have some pictures later this week. I can't believe I will actually have this thing going down the road.

Warning to those buying a high lifted Jeep. There is a TON of work that will be required if you want to lower most likely. We had to buy all new linkage for the transmission. All new control arms. Changed out the brake lines as they were super long. The rear end needed some work as that big lift was hard on it, so all new bearings. There are other things done, but I can't think of them at the moment. This Jeep was WAY more money than I thought it would be, but it is done right.

The fenders should be sealed IMHO as they have way too much going one under there with little protection. I might coat them with something like bed liner or something tough and seal the seams and holds that are there. No wonder they rust in the same spot on so many TJs.

Pictures to come.

The fenders should be sealed IMHO as they have way too much going one under there with little protection. I might coat them with something like bed liner or something tough and seal the seams and holds that are there. No wonder they rust in the same spot on so many TJs.

Pictures to come.

Yeah...That is where my tub is really starting to go. I used Rust reformer and bed liner to hopefully slow down the spread. Every seam is rusting. I am pretty sure they didn't pre-treat the weld seams, welded the tub, then sent it off to paint. The rust starts at the spot welds, then spreads rapidly through the flanges.

Tires are going on. I will have a full spare. Damn $1,000 for tires! Oh well. My twill top is on order. Two weeks. I am liking the size of the tires with this lift. Someday I will post a finished Jeep. Is there such a thing. lol Now to figure out where to put the Rubicon sticker. 10" from the hood latch? 8"? I have read a BUNCH of measurements and nothing makes sense. Center it? Slightly to the back? I will keep reading.

04102018893.jpg

Tires are going on. I will have a full spare. Damn $1,000 for tires! Oh well. My twill top is on order. Two weeks. I am liking the size of the tires with this lift. Someday I will post a finished Jeep. Is there such a thing. lol Now to figure out where to put the Rubicon sticker. 10" from the hood latch? 8"? I have read a BUNCH of measurements and nothing makes sense. Center it? Slightly to the back? I will keep reading.

View attachment 38354
Mine are 10" from the back edge of the hood.

Mine are 10" from the back edge of the hood.

This seems to be the most common response. As I look at my old picture, i think that seems right. I think I am going with the 10" from the back of the hood. Not sure why I always felt they were a bit further back than that, but just too many pictures show them nearer the hood latch. Thanks for yuur reply.

Well my Jeep is finally home! I can't believe it. It rides great has plenty of torque with the 4.10's and 33's. I wouldn't change a thing. It has some more things to do, like get the stereo up to par, spray a ton of Fluid Film and clean up some things. I am waiting on my new top that will be mid May I hope. The Twill can't be purchased from anyone right now as they just aren't making it at the moment. Bestop said mid May. Guess we shall see. Here are a couple of pictures. Again, it really rides nice and IMHO, the perfect lift height and tire combo for how I am going to use my Jeep.

04212018897.jpg
04212018898.jpg