'04 Jeep Rubicon build thread going closer to stock with 2" lift

I've sorta gotten lost on this thread... @gg1, would you mind recapping the suspension setup you ended up with, and the size and brand of tires? Thanks!

It looks fantastic! Those are 285s, right?

Yep, I wanted my silver to look like your old black Rubi. Loved that Jeep you had and just followed your lead. 285's with an OME HD lift. Stock wheels no spacers. I had to adjust the bump stops a bit for steering, but not much and most of that was because the damn Teraflex sway bar up front. That was a bit of an issue, but we resolved it.

Reactions: Chris
I've sorta gotten lost on this thread... @gg1, would you mind recapping the suspension setup you ended up with, and the size and brand of tires? Thanks!

It is an OME 2" HD lift with 285/75 16 BFG KO2's on it.

My thread sucks to be honest. I might start over and do a more informative job. This was my first go. I plan on becoming a real member here, I just haven't had much time at the moment and when I do, I think I am going to make this thread better. I did one heck of a lot of things to lower this Jeep down from 5.5 to 2". A TON of work. It rides great now and really is going to be fun.

Nice! But I wanna know what the deal is with the white Chevelle :D

I believe that is going to be for sale. They are rebuilding the carb and doing a few things, but it is about done. No idea of price and I don't know the owner. It is a driver car, but I didn't look super close to it. I did see it up on the rack and walked around the underside and that was very clean, frame and such. Not sure about body panels. My buddies shop has all kind of crazy stuff rolling in and out of there and a lot of Jeeps as well.

Reactions: Rob5589
It is an OME 2" HD lift with 285/75 16 BFG KO2's on it.

My thread sucks to be honest. I might start over and do a more informative job. This was my first go. I plan on becoming a real member here, I just haven't had much time at the moment and when I do, I think I am going to make this thread better. I did one heck of a lot of things to lower this Jeep down from 5.5 to 2". A TON of work. It rides great now and really is going to be fun.
It's tough when you start with something someone else started, and you're not sure quite where you want to end up. I have to say, though, it looks great, and I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it now. No driveline vibrations? 6-speed or auto?

Almost makes me want 33s. Almost.

Yep, I wanted my silver to look like your old black Rubi. Loved that Jeep you had and just followed your lead. 285's with an OME HD lift. Stock wheels no spacers. I had to adjust the bump stops a bit for steering, but not much and most of that was because the damn Teraflex sway bar up front. That was a bit of an issue, but we resolved it.

Yep, I think Rubicon's look excellent with the stock Moab wheels and 285s. That's why I kept the Moabs on my current Rubicon and put 285s on them as well, it looks so good!

Reactions: JeepZilla380
It's tough when you start with something someone else started, and you're not sure quite where you want to end up. I have to say, though, it looks great, and I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it now. No driveline vibrations? 6-speed or auto?

Almost makes me want 33s. Almost.

I have only had it up to about 60mph and it rides smooth. 5 speed with 4.10's.

Today my Jeep got the "Jeep" and "Rubicon" stickers. This job took a couple of hours, but I was extremely anal about everything. lol Here are some pictures of the job and how I did it. I am very happy about how it worked out.

Tools needed:
1. Rapid Tac
2. Felt Squeegee
3. Tape
4. Tape measure
5. Paper towels

First I cleaned the area with Rapid Tac and a clean paper towel. This was the directions provided by the product.

04232018900.jpg

I then measured 10" from the back of the hood, which is the most common measurement. And centered the sticker on the area where it goes and to be honest on the first one I eyeballed it as it seemed to make the most sense. Remember I can move the sticker around if needed as Rapid Tac allows this wet application. I noticed that the area the sticker goes is tapered. Hmmm, do I want the sticker to be the same measurement from the bottom all the way across if the area has a taper? No, I wanted it to look centered all the way across and that was my call, but we are talking about 1/8th of an inch. lol The first sticker was easy, but the second had to match exactly, well at least I felt it did. I laid the first sticker down and squeegeed it off and it was a pretty easy job to be honest. Then took measurements played down more tape (notice how I had the tape, not fully stuck down so I could just push the sticker up to the tape and it would stop it in place. I think this method worked well.
04232018901.jpg

I peeled back the backing with the squeegee pressed against the backing and just moved it along while pressing down. It worked very well and easy. This job is very easy by the way and cheap. No worries.

04232018902.jpg

04232018902.jpg

Last edited:
I keep getting an error message when I try clicking on the last two photos...

Try again. I was editing. If it doesn't work let me know. I might need Chris to help as I am not the most tech savvy bulb around here. lol Hopefully it just shows up now. I wish I could have took a video of my job today. It worked out great with the tools I had. This is an easy job and very fun to be honest.

My next job is the sound system and a Tuffy center console to house a couple of amps and such. Then I want to put clear corners on and tow hooks up front. My Twill top is on back order for a MONTH!!! Ah, who cares I am driving my TJ and so happy that I can play with it to make it what I really want. This was going to be my winter "beater". Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!! I love this TJ too much for that!!!! Oh well, I guess I am riding my bike all winter long and storing the TJ. lol

On another note with my 33's, I am running about 28lbs of tire presser and feel it is still too much. I am going to drop it to 25 and give it a feel. It rides okay, but my Jeep is light compared to ones with big bumpers and crap everywhere. Mine is pretty stock.

It's all good now. Great job with the decal.

Thanks, I also put the Jeep one on, but that was so easy why even post about it. It was a good one to practice on. This is super easy with the Rapid Tac. Sure I could have used soapy water, but this stuff is super cheap. Chis, I know you are going to be putting stickers on. If you have any questions let me know, but you might have been there and done that already, but figured I should post about this incase someone was wondering. Fun!

Reactions: Chris
Smart man! I've done so many decals in my life that I've become a master of the squeegee and the soapy water. I've done some large decals over curved surfaces and gotten really good at it! Cool to see that someone else knows how to do it as well.

Smart man! I've done so many decals in my life that I've become a master of the squeegee and the soapy water. I've done some large decals over curved surfaces and gotten really good at it! Cool to see that someone else knows how to do it as well.

Cool. I am very new here and just wanted to share my good fortune if needed. I figured most knew about putting on a decal, but wanted to post it as it was really a fun job.

Cool. I am very new here and just wanted to share my good fortune if needed. I figured most knew about putting on a decal, but wanted to post it as it was really a fun job.

It's not as fun when it's a huge decal on a curved surface, trust me, haha. Then you need the soapy water, a squeegee, a heat gun, and some serious patience. You watch those guys who do vinyl wraps for a living and they've got it down like a true art form.

Thanks for sharing though, I really like the Rubicon stickers!

Reactions: gg1