04 LJ Build Thread

csaxj3

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Figured I'd start one of these!

Picked up my LJ in mid February after looking for several months. It checked all the boxes for me: Southern, stock, and no rust. Was hoping for a Rubicon model, but realized for the cost delta I could build up an equally capable LJ. That said I'd love the 44's, OEM lockers, and gearing.

This isn't my first Jeep but my first LJ, also enjoy the Toyota side of life and initially had set out to build a 80 series Land Cruiser. Think LJ's fetch big money, it's absurd what 80's are selling for these days. Always liked the LJ's and as my 4Runner build progressed I realized that a light trail truck is what was needed.

Goal of build: A light trail truck which can take on fun tracks but also do a 3-day weekend camping run.
  • 3-4” suspension
  • 33x10.5 or 285/75/16’s
  • At least one locker

With the help of the forum, I ordered up the following:

• Savvy 4” short arm kit
  • Rancho 5000x shocks
  • Maxxis 33/10.5.15’s
Install should be done by Monday or Tuesday and I can’t wait.

In addition to the suspension the following has been completed:
  • Installed new power/ground cables from custom battery cables
  • Warn EVO8 on Tomken winch plate
  • Morryde tailgate kit
  • Radio upgrade and ram mount for phone
  • Driver’s seat foam replaced
  • Exhaust components corrected, added magnaflow muffler (quiet as possible)
  • Gr8tops “truck box” for secure storage

Following on order:
  • Midland 275 gmrs
  • Shrockworks sliders
  • Dirtworx rear bumper

Will order in next 60 days:
  • Powertrax no slip for the front
  • Eaton elocker for rear
  • Gears, 5.13? I’ve got the 42re transmission

Can’t wait to get on the trail with this once phase 1 is done, hopefully next weekend.

6DFE5815-C69F-4F5C-B80C-5A8D30EBFE8E-1813532.jpg

73E79189-C131-4C78-8E94-6D12FF600F1D-1834178.jpg

IMG_5809.jpg

IMG_5960.JPG

IMG_5959.JPG

Reactions: Irun and DuncLJ
Entered into the Red Clay Rally this fall and while I was going to take the 4Runner (as it's built for trail > camp > trail) I figured it would be fun to use the LJ instead.

While the 4Runner would be drastically more comfortable in 75% of the course, I think harnessing the spirit of the older Land Cruiser and Defenders will make taking the LJ fun.

Would the forum recommend any suggestions for a cargo net to separate the cab from the back? Then another one to toss over cargo that will have to be stored in the back (rear seat is coming out for rally)?

4Runner for reference, my buddy who is going with me is a TJ owner of many years and thinks I'm nuts for taking the LJ.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 1.54.05 PM.png

The LJ looks great! I'm a 5th Gen owner as well, the TJ is just a toy. Good luck on the red clay. Which tire and wheel package and backspacing did you go with?

The LJ looks great! I'm a 5th Gen owner as well, the TJ is just a toy. Good luck on the red clay. Which tire and wheel package and backspacing did you go with?

15x8 with 4.5bs I believe.
Tires are 33x10.5 Maxxis

Great start to your build! what was the wait time for your sliders? i really like the shrock design

ARB is on and the dirtworx rear bumper is curing in the garage. This thing is getting closer to being done!

need to call the shop tomorrow and see if the gears / lockers are in.

E0CD8C9A-D6E2-494E-9771-F3193188F1BD.jpeg

Reactions: Irun and JMT
Figured I'd start one of these!

Picked up my LJ in mid February after looking for several months. It checked all the boxes for me: Southern, stock, and no rust. Was hoping for a Rubicon model, but realized for the cost delta I could build up an equally capable LJ. That said I'd love the 44's, OEM lockers, and gearing.

This isn't my first Jeep but my first LJ, also enjoy the Toyota side of life and initially had set out to build a 80 series Land Cruiser. Think LJ's fetch big money, it's absurd what 80's are selling for these days. Always liked the LJ's and as my 4Runner build progressed I realized that a light trail truck is what was needed.

Goal of build: A light trail truck which can take on fun tracks but also do a 3-day weekend camping run.
  • 3-4” suspension
  • 33x10.5 or 285/75/16’s
  • At least one locker

With the help of the forum, I ordered up the following:

• Savvy 4” short arm kit
  • Rancho 5000x shocks
  • Maxxis 33/10.5.15’s
Install should be done by Monday or Tuesday and I can’t wait.

In addition to the suspension the following has been completed:
  • Installed new power/ground cables from custom battery cables
  • Warn EVO8 on Tomken winch plate
  • Morryde tailgate kit
  • Radio upgrade and ram mount for phone
  • Driver’s seat foam replaced
  • Exhaust components corrected, added magnaflow muffler (quiet as possible)
  • Gr8tops “truck box” for secure storage

Following on order:
  • Midland 275 gmrs
  • Shrockworks sliders
  • Dirtworx rear bumper

Will order in next 60 days:
  • Powertrax no slip for the front
  • Eaton elocker for rear
  • Gears, 5.13? I’ve got the 42re transmission

Can’t wait to get on the trail with this once phase 1 is done, hopefully next weekend.

View attachment 242583

View attachment 242584

View attachment 242585

View attachment 242586

View attachment 242587
The 04 LJ doesn't get the love an 05 to 06 does, due to the fact that there was no Rubicon, and the manual transmission was a 5 speed. Still, the 04 is my favorite. No issues to worry about, like with the last two years. Nice find!

Shop called and have the gears in but the Eaton e-lockers are on "unknown back order" so I told the shop to go the ARB route instead as I want this regeared and locked!