04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

I ended up with 14.4*. I see alot of aftermarket JK axles publish 10*.
Oh nice, good call you nailed it.

GREAT news everyone, turns out AA tech support knows what they're talking about. I adjusted the rear pinion up and the resonance is effectively gone. Still a grumble when being lugged but no resonance. I'm set now at -1deg below in line.

As for the front, I ended up setting at 5.5deg caster. I don't seem to have a vibe but haven't done highway speeds. Return to center is not super strong but then it never was.

I think I'm going change the oil, tighten jam nuts and call her ready to wheel. Hopefully in March if these consecutive storms let up I'll get to try out the Atlas.

I'm pretty open in March after first weekend. I don't do any long term planning for walker just when weather and people's schedules align. I hate wheeling in the rain. 😬 I know there's some timber tamer days coming up, might tag along with them. Walker work party is march 13. My wheeling buddy is getting transmission repaired so not sure when he will be done.

Reactions: Vasq
I'm pretty open in March after first weekend. I don't do any long term planning for walker just when weather and people's schedules align. I hate wheeling in the rain. 😬 I know there's some timber tamer days coming up, might tag along with them. Walker work party is march 13. My wheeling buddy is getting transmission repaired so not sure when he will be done.
I too... hate planning in advance :LOL:
Although i should really get my butt in gear so maybe by late March or early April I can follow along with you or the tamers. I did once years ago to walker, really liked it.

Reactions: Wildman
I too... hate planning in advance :LOL:
Although i should really get my butt in gear so maybe by late March or early April I can follow along with you or the tamers. I did once years ago to walker, really liked it.
Some people need dates to keep them motivated if that's you choose march 13. I sort of obsess about finishing projects so I feel like I'm always racing to do stuff. The atlas was kind of nice to go at a snails pace and not put schedule pressure on myself but then I missed our snow day!!

Some people need dates to keep them motivated if that's you choose march 13. I sort of obsess about finishing projects so I feel like I'm always racing to do stuff. The atlas was kind of nice to go at a snails pace and not put schedule pressure on myself but then I missed our snow day!!
I'm gunna aim for the 13th.. but realistically there's not way i'll get it back from the re-gear by then. I think i'll aim to have all my work done by then

Who's doing your regear? Randy's R&P is right up the street
No, I will never let randy's touch my jeep. i have heard/read so many bad things about them trying to weasel out of warranties or bad install's, plus they will only install gears they they carry (which is actually common i'm finding out).
I'm actually gunna run it down to MULE in Issaquah.

No, I will never let randy's touch my jeep. i have heard/read so many bad things about them trying to weasel out of warranties or bad install's, plus they will only install gears they they carry (which is actually common i'm finding out).
Ask for Mitch and tell him I sent ya....

If you were closer I'd tell ya to bring them over to me.

Last edited:
Oh wow, good to know about randy's. Ya Mule has a fantastic reputation.

Reactions: Vasq and Wildman
randy's R&P got bought out, its now Randy's worldwide... Which I believe is the same company that owns Yukon gear and other things.

Well alright alright alright. I got all my links tightened up, oils changed, engine skid on and I'm ready to wheel. Feeling very grateful the rattle didn't turn out to be a can of worms.

I might do a tire rotation one of these days need to cycle the spare in. Otherwise next job is cutting brakes. Which I know will be a whole 'nother thing. I'm going to wheel at least once just with the atlas. To see how it does.

Reactions: Vasq and Wildman
Well alright alright alright. I got all my links tightened up, oils changed, engine skid on and I'm ready to wheel. Feeling very grateful the rattle didn't turn out to be a can of worms.

I might do a tire rotation one of these days need to cycle the spare in. Otherwise next job is cutting brakes. Which I know will be a whole 'nother thing. I'm going to wheel at least once just with the atlas. To see how it does.

Make sure you try some front digs out just to see what all the hype is about.

I think this was the Rainer Ridge Rams but whom ever it was they just got done doing some work at Walker.

First off, I like it. But that looks much easier than it was the last time i was up there a few years ago. there use to be a big rock right next to the gate post.

Last time I was there was in the late 90's or early 2ooo/2001 so I know a lot has changed since then.