04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

All the lines are routed tight. Tomorrows the big day for bleeding attempt. Will try out the vacuum bleeder and hope to do some tight turns in a gravel lot!!

PXL_20210508_031835570.jpg

PXL_20210508_031753259.jpg

First test. Front locked, fwd low only. Honestly I thought it would turn tighter!

So not impressed after all that work?

When I've done front digs I had the back tire against a tree or rock and was making a tight turn.

With the rear unlocked, do the same thing rear wheel low only.
Ok I didn't try that one, not sure it will have the braking power to lock it up on gravel with rear power. Definitely need to learn how to use this on the trails. Stoked to start playing with it.

So not impressed after all that work?

When I've done front digs I had the back tire against a tree or rock and was making a tight turn.
Haha I just thought I was going to go spin around one tire. Then I talked to my buddy with cutting brakes and he explained that's not how it works lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Haha I just thought I was going to go spin around one tire.
That's not how it works. In fact, if you pull both handles on the trail versus one handle, the difference in front low only is not much until you get one rear tire on the inside of the turn against something to pivot around. Then the cutting brake works to stop that tire from climbing so it can spin around one tire.

ay it works , it locked up that big wheel and you packaged it neatly. i have no doubt it'll work like blaine says above once a wheels against something. nice work.

Reactions: B00mb00m
That's not how it works. In fact, if you pull both handles on the trail versus one handle, the difference in front low only is not much until you get one rear tire on the inside of the turn against something to pivot around. Then the cutting brake works to stop that tire from climbing so it can spin around one tire.
Gotcha, thats the same thing my buddy said to me. He said the only way it works like I had imagined is with an LS and super light buggy with 50Deg steering

ay it works , it locked up that big wheel and you packaged it neatly. i have no doubt it'll work like blaine says above once a wheels against something. nice work.
Ya I was pretty stoked to see it be able to lock it up. I'll try it again with rear only and see if it can on gravel.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I don‘t recall, Boom - are you twin sticked? Are you in front wheel drive in the vid doing a front dig?

Reactions: B00mb00m
He just put in an Atlas with twin sticks, yes he is in 2 low front.
Yup thats correct.

The more I read and hear about the cutter and the more I use it, fwd only is not real common with cutting brakes because at any incline the fronts get no traction. I'll be trying out 3 wheel drive a lot when I get on the trail.

Yup thats correct.

The more I read and hear about the cutter and the more I use it, fwd only is not real common with cutting brakes because at any incline the fronts get no traction. I'll be trying out 3 wheel drive a lot when I get on the trail.
It's kinda like a tractor... They all have independent brakes on the rear wheels, but no option to go front wheel drive only. When you want to turn sharp, you mash the pedal to the inside wheel and the outside wheel will drive you around the now stopped inside wheel. It helps to have an open diff at that point too.

It's kinda like a tractor... They all have independent brakes on the rear wheels, but no option to go front wheel drive only. When you want to turn sharp, you mash the pedal to the inside wheel and the outside wheel will drive you around the now stopped inside wheel. It helps to have an open diff at that point too.
It’s a great feeling when you hit the end rows and raise the implement up so there’s no drag and you spin it around. Straighten it back out and drop the implement back in the dirt.

Oh and that smell of freshly tilled earth.

It’s a great feeling when you hit the end rows and raise the implement up so there’s no drag and you spin it around. Straighten it back out and drop the implement back in the dirt.

Oh and that smell of freshly tilled earth.
Put your farmer boner away were talking jeeps here!

Is added some sweeps to the console. I just need to figure out a shelf inside or how to cut and reglue the inner tub so I can put stuff inside console without obstructing cylinder travel.

PXL_20210510_011633326.jpg

Put your farmer boner away were talking jeeps here!

Is added some sweeps to the console. I just need to figure out a shelf inside or how to cut and reglue the inner tub so I can put stuff inside console without obstructing cylinder travel.

View attachment 251254
Yeah and I want you to get this all figured out so I can copy you

• Haha
Yeah and I want you to get this all figured out so I can copy you
Its pretty much done, copy away you need a parts list? :) Just need to figure out how to store baby wipes and a face mask in the console. This project will eventually lead into an aluminum console project.

Reactions: Apparition