04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

On the interfaces between steel and aluminum I'm going to add a piece of black vinyl wrap to keep things from fretting and gouging up the aluminum.
That will be a mistake if those areas also include where the bolt holes are. Those are slip critical connections and need all the friction that is able to be developed between the faying surfaces.

That will be a mistake if those areas also include where the bolt holes are. Those are slip critical connections and need all the friction that is able to be developed between the faying surfaces.
That's an interesting point. I feel like adding vinyl might actually increase friction?

The stuff a slip and slide is made from? (PVC - Poly Vinyl Chloride)
I guess it's similar, if not the same, not sure. The comparison is between paint and vinyl wrap. The wrap I have doesnt feel very slick. The paint is going to be pretty low friction coefficient also.

The stuff a slip and slide is made from? (PVC - Poly Vinyl Chloride)
This is the best resource i can find:
https://www.aisc.org/globalassets/a...or-the-design-at-the-ultimate-limit-state.pdf
series of 15 tests conducted on
specimens with a vinyl primer on the faying surfaces showed a mean slip coefficient of
0.19 and a standard deviation of 0.016. An additional six test specimens with vinyl
primer and top coat showed a slip coefficient of 0.20 and a standard deviation of 0.0138.
Ten specimens with powder epoxy coating show ed a mean slip coefficient of 0.078 and
standard deviation of 0.011.

I found some vinyl wrap coefficient of friction testing also that corroborated a 0.20 mu.

Reactions: Mike_H
I went ahead and mounted the carrier up as-is with just steel-it. I'm too interested in seeing if everything works out, I'll let it cure on the vehicle and repaint in color match later. I've added some rubber extrusion edging on the aluminum bars to act as bumpers.
PXL_20220520_175024246.jpg

PXL_20220520_175041822.jpg
PXL_20220520_180357095.jpg

Reactions: B00mb00m
Why you no have engine hoist?
Hah! I already don't have storage for my Floor jacks let alone a hoist. I do have a transmission jack and I needed to mount the spare right now I would use it but it's still a bit of a pain.

It works! What I learned was the tire would totally rub the paint off the countersunk screw area so I added a piece of cutting board there like I did in back of the latch boxes. Yes, it did sag *just* a bit. Looks like my lower driver latxg box sits higher than the passenger hinge box so I think I can just recenter the arm by dropping the driver box a little. As it sits it clears by a tiny bit. Will see how it does after driving around a bit.

I'm gonna have to modify the magnetic mount a bit for the gmrs antenna. Not a lot of room between tire and tailgate.

PXL_20220520_211323891.jpg

PXL_20220520_211339280.jpg

PXL_20220520_211304210.jpg

It works! What I learned was the tire would totally rub the paint off the countersunk screw area so I added a piece of cutting board there like I did in back of the latch boxes. Yes, it did sag *just* a bit. Looks like my lower driver latxg box sits higher than the passenger hinge box so I think I can just recenter the arm by dropping the driver box a little. As it sits it clears by a tiny bit. Will see how it does after driving around a bit.

I'm gonna have to modify the magnetic mount a bit for the gmrs antenna. Not a lot of room between tire and tailgate.

View attachment 331841

View attachment 331842

View attachment 331843
Patagonia!!! Don’t tell Josh.