04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

The tiny bit of clearance turned into a tiny bit of interference and I wasn't going to go through aalllll that work and have to lift up on the tailgate to close it. Also let me say it swings really nicely.

So Blaine gave me some advice on the hinge boxes he said to have the machinist turn the bolt holes into slots to offer some adjustability in case the tailgate sagged with a tire on it. I really didn't understand how that would work since when I clamp up the hinge bolt on sleeve the bolt and sleeve should be forced into 90deg from the hinge box wall. But anyway I loosened the top bolt lifted up on the tailgate 1/4" and tightened back down. Loosened bottom bolt to let it adjust if it needed and tightened back down and ya it worked out pretty nicely. I also re adjusted the upper and lower latch boxes to give a bit more room on bottom. Hopefully this stays put now. I didn't put loctite on the hinge bolts, probably will have to.

Now my last task is to figure out what to do with the license.
PXL_20220522_221235579.jpg

Cleaned up the back end some more with a part of maxbilt tail lights. These seem super nice. I cut off the old harnesses and wired them to the new lights. Also FINALLY added the flasher relay. I've been driving with fast flashing blinkers for 4 years and finally got around to it. I think these work really well with the rest of the spare carrier motif.

PXL_20220529_011733761.jpg
PXL_20220529_011745469.jpg

What size Metalcloak flares do you have and happen to know the backspacing on your wheels? Looks like fender coverage is adequate...

What size Metalcloak flares do you have and happen to know the backspacing on your wheels? Looks like fender coverage is adequate...
Those are 6" flares. When I first built this it was wrecked so to get a new title I had to take it to state patrol to get it inspected. It's not full coverage to the letter of the law but with the small mudflaps and the fact it has reasonable fenders they approved me. Those are 4.5" backspace rims.

Functionally the fenders are terrible the tires through mud and debris everywhere.

Wheeling partner cancelled so I'm working on installing my GMRS instead this weekend. Cut the mag mount to sneak in between tire and tailgate. Not sure what I'll do when spare carrier is off.

Still have to wire in the radio.

PXL_20220604_002458817.jpg

Haven’t been wheeling or working on Jeep much at all lately but I did get out for a snow run and Christmas tree hunt and it was fantastic! Used the GMRS for first time as well which was a huge improvement in range and clarity over CB.

IMG_0829.jpg

Fantastic tailgate/tire carrier! I wondered where the latches came from? I may want to build a similar set-up. Thanks!

those are Mr Blaine spec'd Protex 43-4000SS, they were like $80 a piece. They needed to be high quality otherwise they would've stood out like a sore thumb on this project. Functionally, the carrier has been AWESOME.

Reactions: 3jeepfan
This was a fun read, @B00mb00m. I'll definitely take some inspiration from your build in my rig. @mrblaine is also constantly impressing me with his designs and solutions.

Thanks for the comment, Blaine comes up with some great ideas i have loved to copy! I have some really great projects still to go, intake snorkel, fabricated front axle, and new sliders just have to free up time and funds both of which are in tight supply these days. I'm planning to do my balljoint deletes and regrease all the screaching Johnny Joints next.

The first wrenching in a LONG time today. I popped positive for COVID this morning so instead of family skiing I am quarantining in the garage. Had to make a quick harbor freight trip to buy a balljoint press but then isolated! Disassembly was not too bad, but pushing these balljoint deletes in was tough. I wasn’t trying to get a workout in but shit they a tight fit. The top is knurled so that’s probably part of it. This is only my third set of joints and I’m not even totally sure the Rare Parts balljoints were totally bad but there was a tiny bit of movement and I’ve had these deletes for a year and a half so I went for it.

Diff oil is leaking out started leaking out the tube when I pulled the axle shaft which doesn’t usually happen, hoping that’s not a cut seal…

51D46891-9144-4A62-914E-8BE42A770B6A.jpeg

Balljoint deletes are complete. I also put a new wheel bearing on the driver side since i had it in my parts bin and that bearing has seen a bit of abuse. There is very little clearance to the UJs. I also painted the parts since they’re all bare steel. The new deletes are zinc plated. It will be interesting to take these for a ride but I have a few other maintenance items to address in the next few days.
1. Regrease my 3 link JJ’s.
2. Have all my tires balanced.
3. Rotate my tires.

998DB01A-2860-40B2-BEF1-72D2C119BC44.jpeg

0D902D70-802C-4A4A-980B-B7C38C6C1186.jpeg

Today was a great garage quarantine day. Starting to feel like the WuFlu might be tapering too.

I pulled all the front links disassembled, greased the JJ ball then reassembled. Was kind of shocked to see basically no grease and these are like 1.5 years old. The grease that I tried to add from the zirc this summer went straight out the edge and didn’t lubricate the ball at all.
02337FFF-24E3-45B2-B915-BD2566CACECB.jpeg

I pulled all the tires to have them balanced. You really don’t appreciate how easy it is to get tires balanced until you have beadlocks and no car lift.
B477B8A7-00E3-4D81-91A1-5ED9372026CA.jpeg

Will give the tires a rotation upon installation then looking forward to a test drive that is hopefully less vibey!

@mrblaine i recall you showing someone how to add a piece of steel to protect the bottom of the rear diff? Got any pics? I notice I’m leaking from somewhere. I tightened the drain plug. I think I need to add some metal here it’s all wearing away pretty fast.
7C5203FD-48E8-44F0-B3BB-C78754FA37A0.jpeg

@mrblaine i recall you showing someone how to add a piece of steel to protect the bottom of the rear diff? Got any pics? I notice I’m leaking from somewhere. I tightened the drain plug. I think I need to add some metal here it’s all wearing away pretty fast.
View attachment 403846

@starkey480 added a bunch of weld to the housing. I should do the same sometime this Spring.

Reactions: B00mb00m