04 Rubicon - The past comes back

Sh4rkattk

Hello everyone, wanted to share my build with everyone. Used multiple resources from this board, wanted to give back a bit, and show my progress.

Some history on this 2004 Rubicon, it was bought new by my father for my younger sister so she could drive to school. A few of my buddies back then had Jeeps, me being 18 at the time decided to go wheeling with them without permission. Long story short I rolled it on its side minimal damage. Needless to say I was banned from driving the Jeep.

A few years later it was then passed onto my youngest sister, then to my cousin, then to his sister.

15 years later its now back in my hands.

20190413_131804.jpg
20190413_131814.jpg

Fender damage came from the roll.

Over the years it was somewhat neglected, fuel pump issue requiring multiple turns of the key, a wobble at 50MPH, A/C only blowing at the defrost, 4WD light in 2WD mode.

First thing I did was clean the TJ inside and out stripped everything out and hosed it off. Replaced the top with a Bestop frameless. Upgraded the factory premium stereo. LED all lights inside and out. Cooling system overhaul, change all fluids, Fixed A/C, replaced TC sensor, replaced front upper control arm bushing in the axle.

20190421_122748.jpg

20190518_143527.jpg

Now to the fun stuff. I wanted to run 33's since most 33's on MOAB wheels tend to rub, I decided to run 15's with load C tires for the best on road comfort. Of course to run 33's a lift was needed, decided on the Rubicon Express 3.5" super-flex short arm lift with adjustable upper control arms.

All work on the Jeep was preformed by me either on the ground or with the use of my buddy's shop when he was closed.

20190526_081906.jpg

20190526_081857.jpg
20190526_154550.jpg

20190528_115604.jpg
20190528_180743.jpg

Just a few things left and this project is complete. Need to adjust the pinon angle as I have a slight vibration under power. Tube fenders bumpers and a regear I miss the power from when it was on the stockers.

Update: July 2 2019

Regear done and broken in. Chopped off the damaged fender, Installed Poison spyder defenders all around. PS diff covers. and discovered that the RE Track bar is hitting the diff cover. Picking up a Currie TB soon.

20190629_223709.jpg

Need some paint, bumpers and sliders and job done.

Update: Sept 20, 2019

Went from 33s to 35s.
Jcr sliders.
Savvy front bumper.
Warn M8 winch.
Anti rock.
Swapped lift from the rubicon express 3.5" lift to a savvy 4" lift with fox shocks.
Dirtworks rear bumper.
Moryde tailgate reinforcement to hold the spare.
20190912_101023.jpg

Last edited:
Just got to fix that fender and it will be good to go! It looks great so far though!

Why did the fuel tank come out? Maybe I missed that part.

Gonna replace the fender with tube fenders, Fuel tank was dropped to replace the fuel pump. Had the issue where you had to crank the engine twice for the engine to run.

Reactions: Blondie70
Congrats on getting not only ungrounded, but set free. Nice work you’re doing. Looking good! I love yellow TJ’s with black wheels

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Congrats on getting into only ungrounded, but set free. Nice work you’re doing. Looking good! I love yellow TJ’s with black wheels
Yes. His taste in wheels is top notch. ;)

The jeep looks great. Yellow is really starting to grow on me as I see more and more well built rigs. Welcome aboard.

Nice that she's getting the attention that she deserves. Also...Holy cow...what I would have done for a new Rubicon in High school...well, a new YJ, as I was already through College when the Rubicon was released!

Reactions: lowranger
Update: July 2 2019

Regear done and broken in. Chopped off the damaged fender, Installed Poison spyder defenders all around. PS diff covers. and discovered that the RE Track bar is hitting the diff cover. Picking up a Currie TB soon.

20190629_223709-jpg.jpg

Need some paint, bumpers and sliders and job done.

When you had the gas tank it would have been the perfect time for one of these gas tank skids

sav_zpse5805e11.JPG

Took me a long time to get my SpeedoHealer as well, but I really love it.

I think that thing needs a winch ;)

Thinking either JCR or Savvy front. Rear no options yet something simple, as I would not need a tire carrier. Going with the moryde reinforcement kit

I've had both the JCR front and Savvy. Go with the Savvy, hands down. It literally weighs maybe 8 lbs. I could lift it with one finger it's that light.

Best bumper out there for the TJ IMHO, especially once you powder coat it black like I did.