'04 X (first Wrangler)

Grey_Machine7.3

Acts like a mechanic
Supporting Member
So. I "inherited" this Wrangler due to my sister in law moving a few hours away and she wanted something better on gas. She had the jeep for 5or so years, never once took it off pavement. I don't blame her really, I wouldn't want to wheel my only car either. Instead of getting bent over by a dealership on a trade in, I offered to take it and finish paying it off (I think approx. 5,500 left on it). So, huge deal for me imho.

Specs:
-113k miles
-5spd 4.0L
-33x12.5 tires ( less than one year old, even tread wear)
-oil changed every 4k miles
-it looks like it has a little lift, maybe not can't tell tbh.
-quadratech front bumper
-12k lb winch (that is most likely seized up, due to lack of use over the past 5years)
-some kind of tube rear bumper
-leather interior
-some random led bar on the front bumper
-smittybuilt soft top, with matching yellow SPYDERSHADE
-smittybuilt Nerf barz

To be honest, (don't bash me) I'm more of a Toyota guy. I've got a few 4runners and a Tacoma I daily. My first car WAS a 94 Cherokee XJ 4x4 automatic 4.0L and I loved that car (RIP, my little sister was driving it back from California and rolled it off of I70 at the Green River. She was DOA). So I've never really had the thought to get or try to get a Wrangler. Always thought they were cool, but never really saw myself owning one. Boy oh boy, I've had it less than a week and I'm hooked. Took it wheeling up at turkey bay in land between the lakes on the TN, KY boarder. I couldn't believe it, I pointed it at super steep hills full of ruts, rocks, and roots, and it went where I told it to with no gripes or grunts. With one casualty of the passenger side mirror. Planning on strictly using it as a camping/over landing rig. I've got a bit of a wish list going on for it right now. I've tossed in a uniden bearcat cb with a firestik antenna so far. Planning on more trail lights, roof rack, rack above spare tire, new winch....., New rear bumper(with tire carrier), with a few other odds n ends. Posting up in this everything I'll be doing to it. Happy to be apart of this
IMG_20190802_140423.jpg
forum for all the great advice I'm sure I'll need.

Thanks & happy Jeeping.
IMG_20190802_110135_01.jpg
IMG_20190802_114056.jpg

-
MVIMG_20190803_221600.jpg

Last edited:
So after looking at my buddies 100% stock 97tj I have deduced that mine is in fact lifted. All beit, MAYBE two inches. Wish I knew what kind, the shocks have been painted but I'm replacing those anyways. The springs are quite beefy though. Especially compared to stock bones.
He got his for 3k, has a bit of rust around the body mounts, and a little rust in the floor pans. Needs a little love, but at 140k 4cyl auto, came with hard top on, soft top included, the oem rims with decent tires on them as well as the 5aftermarket rims that are on it(I suggested he take off the spare and rove the back seat for a little better fuel mileage as he is a delivery driver), I think he actually got a decent deal.
IMG_20190804_231112.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20190809_114045_01.jpg
IMG_20190809_140429.jpg

Little brake job. Saw that Sierra gear/axle sticker. Makes me wonder if it's been regeared. The rear diff is leaking a little, so I guess I'll go count the teeth when I take the cover off and replace seals& bearings.

A Momo wheel on a TJ? LOL... that will be a first!

You should be able to turn the airbag light off by simply pulling the bulb in the cluster.
Haha, why not. I'm was going to throw it in my 4runner. But since that project is pretty much scrapped after getting this tj. Why not toss it in the Jeep. It's a little smaller in diameter so that's a plus for me, a man with long legs. I'm sure as hell not gonna put it in my Tacoma.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Haha, why not. I'm was going to throw it in my 4runner. But since that project is pretty much scrapped after getting this tj. Why not toss it in the Jeep. It's a little smaller in diameter so that's a plus for me, a man with long legs. I'm sure as hell not gonna put it in my Tacoma.

I'm just trying to remember the last time I saw one. I think it was in the early 2000s on a Subaru WRX. I used to love those things back in the day (y)

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Funny thing. That steering wheel (if I were to buy one) would cost more than my Mopar radiator. Its ludicrous imo. But I can't argue with free.99

So I did it. And it "fits" the adapter to the spline anyways.
IMG_20190823_011428.jpg

"Small" clearance problem.
IMG_20190823_011436.jpg

Still brainstorming on a way to solve this.
The problem with the adapter is that the spline doesn't go all the way to the end of the coupling. There's roughly a quarter inch of smoothe before the spline starts.

Update.
So I have a big tub of stainless scrap (used to do maintenance at a food processing plant) and in the tub I found a nice disc that fits over the spline out out and the adapter fits into it nicely. There was a bit of a gap between the inside if the disc and the steering shaft. So I grabbed an old leaf spring bushing from my toyota, shoved it in-between them. The bottom of the adapter was grinding around on the metal housing around the steering shaft. Now it's not. And I've gained enough clearance where my fingers don't smack the blinker/wiper sticks. Now I'm going to see if one of my old jeep hub-center caps will fit into the steering wheel to cover up the bolt.

Pics when I get home. :)
I admit. It does look a little out of place. Not as out of place as the angry bird grilles. 😁

Last edited:
Ran my CB antenna cable today. Also checking all the wiring in the dash, just to make sure nothing is showing excessive wear n what not.
I think I did my antenna cable right. I won't be able to test it for another few weeks til my new antenna comes in

IMG_20190824_183152.jpg
IMG_20190824_183417.jpg

Also put my Batman that rode in my 4runner for 3years. Hehehehe
IMG_20190824_183710.jpg

IMG_20190828_132059.jpg
IMG_20190828_132049~2.jpg

Not wired up yet. Waiting to get, or make, a switch box for all my junk. My wife "what if a rock snaps them off?" Well I got 16 of these lights a few years ago and have only used two of them for my old xr650r
They are Chinese specials for sure, but they are quite bright. Ran them on my bike for a fee years with no issues in rain or mud. Really just wanted some more front lights on it for trail riding. I thought about the A pillar mounts, but they don't appeal to me a whole lot. If I want lights up high I'll get a windshield light bar.

Those lights are so cheap that even if they do snap off, a new set is under $20 on Amazon last I looked!

Seems like a nice place to put them though!

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3