04 tj clunks in the front end and is a monster to steer down the highway

04tj

04 tj bone stock. Brand new ball joints, lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends, new track bar and Handles horribly down the highway and I can hear a clunk from the front end when hitting bumps and also my steering wheel likes to jump back and forth in my hand. Is this the upper control arm bushings??? Thanks for any feedback

No drop pitman arm. All bolts are tight and I'm at a loss. I've even used my GoPro as I'm driving to try and solve the mystery. I'm thinking the upper control arm bushings are bad but I'm not sure what the symptoms of that would be

No drop pitman arm. All bolts are tight and I'm at a loss. I've even used my GoPro as I'm driving to try and solve the mystery. I'm thinking the upper control arm bushings are bad but I'm not sure what the symptoms of that would be

Upper control arm bushings could indeed cause this (as well as the clunking). Usually the wandering steering when you're driving (if that's what it's doing) is a result of either improper alignment / toe-in, or a drop pitman arm (which causes bump steer).

What's your alignment / toe-in look like? Check this thread out for a good guide on how to align and set your toe-in: How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Use a pry bar or u bolt them one at a time to check.

I have a 99 with 108k miles and all the arm busings are still intact. Dry rotted a little but still doing the job.

Hub bearings good? They usually go before the ball joints do.

Have you done a dry steer test?

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Thanks for the help. My passenger side upper control arm bushing is shot. I could move the arm up and down with my hand. I'm hoping replacing it fixes my problem

Thanks for the help. My passenger side upper control arm bushing is shot. I could move the arm up and down with my hand. I'm hoping replacing it fixes my problem

That is most certainly part of the problem.

After you do that, check your hub / unit bearings as @Ahoragi suggested, and also be certain that your alignment and toe-in are dialed in.