05-06 Gas Tank Filler Neck Fix

pc1p

I do all my own stunts
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Trying to do some precautionary work on the gas tank I got out of an 05 LJ. I recall seeing that the ROV inside the filler expands and the nubs drag, causing slow fill speeds and potentially CEL issues.

Post about the issue for those not familiar: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-gas-overflow-fix.244/

D1EDC668-5527-412D-887D-9C0FF7532C6A.jpeg

From what I have been able to find, it seems like you just reach in there and pull it out. However, I’ve had zero luck and feels like I’m going to snap it in half!

Any tips or tricks from those who have done it?

I did mine a couple years ago. The details are a little fuzzy, but when I reached in through the fuel pump hole, I wiggled, and or twisted it back and forth a little. It didn't take a lot of force.

Reactions: pc1p
I did mine a couple years ago. The details are a little fuzzy, but when I reached in through the fuel pump hole, I wiggled, and or twisted it back and forth a little. It didn't take a lot of force.
That helps - I took a peek inside to see if there was a release clip or anything and only saw the barbed ends holding it in.

I’m a big guy so I try not to be a brute on stuff like this, but I’ve been torquing and twisting and it just didn’t feel right...

Gonna get back at it and see if I can figure it out!

Just reach in and snap it out, sort like popping the cap off a beer bottle.

take note of how you grab as you twist it off. Muscle memory for re-installation.

I thought I was going to break mine and somehow it didn’t. I don’t think it’s as fragile as we suspect, I pulled mine down and at an angle while twisting lightly. Putting it back in is almost more difficult since you have to keep the flapper compressed on the spring (but otherwise it snaps in place without much trouble beyond that).

Thanks for the tips everyone - I got it off successfully. It was way tighter than I would have guessed, to the point where it was leaving marks on my hands and arms!

Rocking seemed to be the trick in getting the barbs to release!

A5053F29-5564-44DA-BCFC-88315AEAD2BD.jpeg

Still have the slow to fill problem. Going to drop the tank and check for a pinched evap line.

I thought the forum would like to know what the problem was and how I corrected. The large evap hose from the tank to the charcoal canister had a pinch where it was routed up to the canister. I cut the near the tank and replaced with a same diameter rubber hose. Problem solved. Thanks for the help.