Yoo hoo.... next time the jeep throws u a curve ball and u get mad at it, I mean really mad... u have my contact info.lol
@JMT tho all that was frustrating, scary n all, you worked thru it just fine.
There's plenty of jeep heads on here to help out. We all go thru some jeep panic, some more than others. It was just your turn.
It's all part of bein a jeep head. 😁
Now u have more experience under ur jeep belt. 😊
Almost called you today, literally, at the coil rail!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Reactions: Chris
Are you going to Moab before the move to Spokane?
Yes, it looks that way. Our home is still on the market and we’re within 60 days, so I doubt if it sold I’d e gone by that time. Wish you were going! Guess what? I’m going to run duratracs in WA. They look like a great tire for those parts!

Reactions: b0xcar
Yes, it looks that way. Our home is still on the market and we’re within 60 days, so I doubt if it sold I’d e gone by that time. Wish you were going! Guess what? I’m going to run duratracs in WA. They look like a great tire for those parts!

Probably easier to go to Moab from Texas as oppose to coming down from Spokane anyways, so I guess it's a blessing in disguise.

Duratracs will be the perfect tire for Washington, that's for sure. Up here in the PNW those things to exceptionally in the rain and packed snow. I don't think you'll regret it!

I'll make it down to Moab one of these days, it's a guarantee!

Reactions: JMT
You know, a pre-trip camp trip to test your setup and make sure everything works as advertised?
Oh yeah for sure, but it is coming quick. I am starting to worry I am not going to have time for a test setup. etrailer sent me the wrong bathroom vent for the second time. I am going to order one from the dealer now, but I have to wait till Monday and it could be a few weeks before I get it. The bathroom vent fan dilemma continues.

I wish we had more local sources here for camper parts. I have nowhere close to me to buy camper parts so I really have to rely on online sales. Which usually is not a problem, but I just cant seem to get the right part.

Anyways will quit that rant, and move on to something more productive. I got my airbags for the GMC, so I am going to try and get that going this week. Maybe I will take a test run minus the camper. I got my trailer and extensions theoretically ready.

Wanting to do the Stock Gas Tank Clearance Mod tomorrow AM. With a 1-1.25” BL enough space is cleared to remove the skid and tank, trim the mounting edges, re-attach 1-1.25” lower and reinstall. As per the following thread on Jeep forum

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.je...ification-free-ground-clearance-736901/?amp=1
However, and this is where I need some help, I climbed under the Jeep to check for clearances. It looks like I have 3/4” max between the tank and rear upper shock mount crossmember. My thought is to do 1/2” at the front where that trouble spot is and a full 1.25” at the rear. Thoughts??? @jjvw, @Mike_H, @bobthetj03

Do you have a body lift?

When I cut mine, I put it together at a hair over an inch, tacked the skid and test fit.

Last edited:
Do you have a body lift?

When I cut mine, I put it together at a hair over an inch, tacked the skid and test fit.
Yes, but the BL doesn’t move the rear shock crossmember which is welded to the frame. There’s plenty of room everywhere except that one spot. My thinking is that the front of the skid doesn’t really matter for clearance. It’s the rear that matters for departure angle. Couldn’t I just raise the rear? I could possibly go 1.5”+.

Yes, but the BL doesn’t move the rear shock crossmember which is welded to the frame. There’s plenty of room everywhere except that one spot. My thinking is that the front of the skid doesn’t really matter for clearance. It’s the rear that matters for departure angle. Couldn’t I just raise the rear? I could possibly go 1.5”+.

I was able to raise both ends evenly. I didn't pay much attention beyond that.

Someday, now that the cross member isn't a shock mount on mine, I would like to go higher into the tub.

Reactions: JMT
I started the gas tank skid clearance mod. The connectors are getting brittle on our Jeeps. I broke one and then broke a tiny plastic part off the fuel pump. Totally sucks. I’ve learned a few things though. I ordered a new Bosch pump, but I had some Plast-Aid and am trying to build a bridge to fix the fuel pump. Sort of just for laughs, probably not smart, but I’m doing it anyway to see how strong it will be by manana. It won’t hurt anything, the replacement won’t come till Monday. Anyway, progress so far.

Broken plastic stupid piece.

Skid after washing. I think I scrape my rear a lot

Sanded down as far as I’ll go for prepping

When they first came off the rig

You can see the line where I cut the skid and later re-tacked it 1.25” shallower

I’ll paint it tomorrow and it will look like a new car with hail damage.

E155EE31-B380-44E8-8F3F-707E78F43C8F.jpeg

F02A9B9B-E593-4901-A4A7-0209E7A73827.jpeg

7A1D701F-67D2-49A5-8310-A8F3D73FE3FB.jpeg

Thanks @Mike_H, nice write-up. I’ll be painting mine today. I really need that 1-1.25”. Hopefully this will help some.

Thanks @Mike_H, nice write-up. I’ll be painting mine today. I really need that 1-1.25”. Hopefully this will help some.
It made a HUGE difference for me. Before...I would bang that thing all over the place. After the 2" lift and 1" GT tuck, I don't know that I've hit it. I'm sure I have, but its not something that sticks out anymore. Now...its the stupid factory TC skid. I've got ideas there too, man...