05' JMT's Twin Teenager's Rubicon Build

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
The parking brake wasn’t working. We opened it up to see if we just needed to free up the parts. We got things moving, but trash. New hardware kit and brake shoes on the way.

84EE0060-0667-498B-B74A-284079CD7374.jpeg

5216D2F5-2A53-4582-8010-E4CCAB648D18.jpeg

In some good news, he had an electrical issue with his headlights sending some signal back to the cluster turn indicators. I checked the ground. It was poorly done. I removed more paint and it’s all good to go.,

Steering wheel was slightly off center. We got that right. Little things make a difference.

The parking brake wasn’t working. We opened it up to see if we just needed to free up the parts. We got things moving, but trash. New hardware kit and brake shoes on the way.

View attachment 393803

View attachment 393804

Dang Nab. It's one of the reasons I don't like the parking brake in the hat. When it works it works but when it doesn't it's a PITA IMO to mess with.

Dang Nab. It's one of the reasons I don't like the parking brake in the hat. When it works it works but when it doesn't it's a PITA IMO to mess with.

It’s going to be an investigative project removing what’s there, understanding the mechanism, cleaning it all up, and installing new.

Reactions: Wildman
It’s going to be an investigative project removing what’s there, understanding the mechanism, cleaning it all up, and installing new.

How are the axle seals? If they leak you’re going to be back in there again and it’s much easier to do it with the axle out.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
How are the axle seals? If they leak you’re going to be back in there again and it’s much easier to do it with the axle out.

Good question. IDK. With everything we’ve had to do so far I wouldn’t be surprised if they need to be replaced. I gotta convince a 17 yr old though. He’s on a 17 yr old budget. 🤣

Good question. IDK. With everything we’ve had to do so far I wouldn’t be surprised if they need to be replaced. I gotta convince a 17 yr old though. He’s on a 17 yr old budget. 🤣

Axle seals and bearings are real cheap insurance. Dad should probably just pony up the money to make sure it gets done, unless you’re convinced he can do it himself when the time comes.

Axle seals and bearings are real cheap insurance. Dad should probably just pony up the money to make sure it gets done, unless you’re convinced he can do it himself when the time comes.

@DrDmoney. Are y’all talking about the outer seals? The ones pressed on the axles? If so, do these require a press?

Reactions: DrDmoney
Hey JMT, I have enjoyed reading all 3 of your builds. Been hanging out in the shadows for a while.

Are y’all talking about the outer seals? The ones pressed on the axles? If so, do these require a press?

I have a press in CDA if you need access to one.

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
Hey JMT, I have enjoyed reading all 3 of your builds. Been hanging out in the shadows for a while.

I have a press in CDA if you need access to one.

I do have an extra set of shafts with known bad seals. I could bring them over and do the press work and then swap them so there’s practically no downtime on his rig. I’ll hit you up. We’re going to look these over real good. Nice to see you coming out of the shadows.

@DrDmoney. Are y’all talking about the outer seals? The ones pressed on the axles? If so, do these require a press?

Yep they are, but in my defense, I grew up on a ranch and changed lots of seals and bearings before I knew there was an another way to do it, although it’s pretty easy with a 3-point hitch and some 2” pipe.😉

Here’s what he did. He basically tore the disc brakes apart and figured out how to put them all back together with new parts. He adjusted the parking brakes, and it’s good to go! 😳

95852F30-5E02-4C0A-8524-BFE492D4FD54.jpeg

A44590CB-6EF8-4784-81E4-98BE104B5BE9.jpeg

37C6396A-F625-4E89-9689-763D8EC461DF.jpeg

D20ABBA1-BABA-421A-A9DB-B9A5C4A31613.jpeg

2B55FB94-5863-4C4B-821E-9BFEB5F6C809.jpeg

They cleaned up and looked in good condition. Our best option is to take our set of trail axles to @dragup and put new seals on them. Then make a quick swap.

Sounds like a plan... And tell Kaleb "Good Job". He'll be notching his frame soon and doing a outboard shock install before you if you're not careful.

Sounds like a plan... And tell Kaleb "Good Job". He'll be notching his frame soon and doing a outboard shock install before you if you're not careful.

He’s definitely more gutsy than me and just forged ahead with unknowns, whereas I have to know all the details before I’ll move! 🤣 Thank you Rick!!