05' JMT's Twin Teenager's Rubicon Build

Spray cans may not be the best for corner armor. Assuming it's the kind that wrap to the doors. A $15 spray gun and some automotive paint would be better since it has a larger coverage area. It'll be hard to not get tiger strips with a can imo. Smaller stuff the cans are perfect.
The corners are Poison Spyder and they’re more like half corners. $173

well...... my PO was in a very small fender bender and broke that front right fender, he was never able to get a Sahara replacement so I ended up with 3 Sahara fenders and one stock fender :/
I’ll talk to my son and tell him about your situation. I know we pondered moving them to the white Jeep.

I’ll talk to my son and tell him about your situation. I know we pondered moving them to the white Jeep.
Definitely don't break up the set on my account, do what ever yall feel will be best, it's really only my ocd that is effected by my one wimpy fender (and also maybe a bit of extra crap flung on that side of my Jeep).

Reactions: JMT
Day 06: Removing the drivers side rock slider was an affair. Drilled out the 5 allen head bolts on the side and cut the 5 off the bottom. I’m kinda glad it was there to take most of the rust. I don’t know what I’ll do with them yet. One nightmare turns into another. Got all the nutserts out. Factory nutserts from the diamond rocker plate were still there. Of course, I’ll be painting all this soon.

9DFB0D3F-EB81-402B-BDF8-23D781E29E09.jpeg

73A5F53E-44C3-4192-9BE5-CDD7C2A47120.jpeg

Not going to lie I was a bit concerned about what may have been hiding underneath considering the bubbles on the rear/fenders. That doesn't look like anything some light sanding and rust preventer can't fix. The TJR is looking like a better deal every day.

Not going to lie I was a bit concerned about what may have been hiding underneath considering the bubbles on the rear/fenders. That doesn't look like anything some light sanding and rust preventer can't fix. The TJR is looking like a better deal every day.
I’m not going to lie either. I’m still worried. 1 day at a time.

I'm with Alex, I expected worse behind the rocker. This doesn't look bad at all and can be fixed relatively easily. The hard work is always getting the old stuff out, without damaging more. Assuming you're cleaning up the old rockers and putting them back on? Another trick I've learned there, for those of us in wet climates, is to put 2 - 3 coats of Flex Seal on the inside of the rocker. Depending on the rocker style, I'll file the top inside lip slightly, to keep it from digging into the rocker panel.

Once it's filed, painted, and covered with Flex Seal, I also run a layer or two of blue painters tape across the top inside edge, to help seal stuff from working in between the rocker and guard. The picture below has two coats of clear Flex Seal and one layer of tape across the top. The Savvy guards are already angled slightly at the top, so they only need one layer of tape.

20210911_150719-jpg.276285

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FLEX-SE...VrAaICR1ctgpKEAQYAyABEgJ8HvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
That said, I can't explain why, but I've noticed the passenger side always seems to be worse. Maybe that's just the luck of the draw. Have you done the other side yet?

I'm with Alex, I expected worse behind the rocker. This doesn't look bad at all and can be fixed relatively easily. The hard work is always getting the old stuff out, without damaging more. Assuming you're cleaning up the old rockers and putting them back on? Another trick I've learned there, for those of us in wet climates, is to put 2 - 3 coats of Flex Seal on the inside of the rocker. Depending on the rocker style, I'll file the top inside lip slightly, to keep it from digging into the rocker panel.

Once it's filed, painted, and covered with Flex Seal, I also run a layer or two of blue painters tape across the top inside edge, to help seal stuff from working in between the rocker and guard. The picture below has two coats of clear Flex Seal and one layer of tape across the top. The Savvy guards are already angled slightly at the top, so they only need one layer of tape.

20210911_150719-jpg.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FLEX-SE...VrAaICR1ctgpKEAQYAyABEgJ8HvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
That said, I can't explain why, but I've noticed the passenger side always seems to be worse. Maybe that's just the luck of the draw. Have you done the other side yet?
That is the side that the runoff goes to...so the passenger side is exposed to more slop than the driver's side

20210911_150719-jpg.jpg

Awesome! Thanks! Great idea.

Reactions: Irun