05' JMT's Twin Teenager's Rubicon Build

Day 02: The twins are still trying to decide which Jeep they want. I have a fair process they both agreed to. They want to dig in and see how much work this really is!

Today Joshua and I got to work early. We finished the other 2 O2 sensors. We removed and cleaned the injectors. Had trouble with the seals on the rail side and had to go buy some more at the store. All good now. Cleaned the battery terminals. Cleaned the IAC and the TB. Cranked it up. All codes are gone. Scanned with OBD II and InDoc App and everything is firing perfect. She’s humming and happy!

Added new struts for the hardtop. Removed crappy gas tank bezel cover and OEM Bezel, cleaned, adhesion promoter, paint. Looks brand new. Pulled out the buffing wheel and floated some of the clear on the doors, especially where the white scratches were at the top of the door and near the hinges where they take a beating. Most every scratch is coming out! Removed the spare till we can correct the sagging tailgate. It was a good day. Progress is a good summary!

12E76A8E-632F-47CA-8E18-D475BBA20B86.jpeg

36197326-18E8-4C7A-8A65-EBF2C5335C79.jpeg

971DC047-3612-43B6-8B49-AA8560B4B3D3.jpeg

8FAE9C0B-77C8-43E0-B316-1BDADC1A5E26.jpeg

13163C85-DF55-4458-A4BC-FBA75D6C33A2.jpeg

525848AF-B9AC-4968-BA4C-C713134ABC75.jpeg

1373C5A5-1DE0-43EC-A17B-BEC2D56422CE.jpeg

91F6C5E8-187B-4726-ACDE-A50E427E4CB3.jpeg

86728CAD-5EA6-49DF-A1C4-3FB707014A31.jpeg

9C5D70AA-7B7A-4937-82FB-5C6802062143.jpeg

2EA19AFC-8B8B-4C25-A176-C83E0A89EDA5.jpeg

2D392F2C-26E5-4C18-8D55-422CCBF30ABF.jpeg

B597D254-8346-484D-B1FF-9D33C50D5CFC.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6067.MOV
    1.9 MB
Now we have 3 Jeeps being built by 16 years olds! tell them congrats from the forum kid.

What rockers guards are those?
I want to figure out what sliders those are, but I’ve been in a panic to get it safe on the road! I’ll definitely get back. They are tub mounted but not ww2ww. They are kind of interesting since the step looks sorta like Savvy’s from 10 feet away. They’ll be cleaned, sanded, painted and mounted again!

I will definitely tell them! Thanks. I’ll see if I can get them on the forum, but I’m afraid they won’t bc they have me. 🤨

Last edited:
Day 02 cont…: They had time to look over the Rubicon and consider which rig they want. I wrote them a detailed letter explaining the pros and cons of the Sport vs Rubicon and their financial and ethical responsibilities in the restoration and build process of the Rubicon. I had them both write on a piece of paper which one they wanted. If they both wanted the same one I had a complex of coin tosses to decide. Here’s the result:
61633ED5-21ED-4571-95DB-9E30CAC4E0B1.jpeg

So, it’s over, and I think they are both relieved. Having something of your own makes it more enjoyable. You can make plans and start working on them. After they wouldn’t shut up for like an hour. I finally was like, “I gotta go to bed.” 🤣

Last edited:
Day 02 cont…: They had time to look over the Rubicon and consider which rig they want. I wrote them a detailed letter explaining the pros and cons of the Sport vs Rubicon and their financial and ethical responsibilities in the restoration and build process of the Rubicon. I had them both write in a piece of paper which one they wanted. If they both wanted the same one I had a complex of coin tosses to decide. Here’s the result:
View attachment 318608
So, it’s over, and I think they are both relieved. Having something of your own makes it more enjoyable. They wouldn’t shut up for like an hour. I was like, “I gotta go to bed.”
Well that made life a whole lot easier. I think you got a real good deal on the blue Rubicon. I don’t know the full extent of the rust but even if you had to swap the frame I think you would still come out ahead.

Reactions: Wildman and JMT
Actually 4 jeeps been built by 16 year olds…
Congrats on the new jeep!
Thanks! Hopefully we’ll make it to the W side of WA to run some trails. I’ve been wanting to come over from the E side.

Reactions: kiwi and Wildman
Good to hear you have it running better and the DTC's are cleared. And that the debate of who got which was settled in an ambilocal fashion.

• Love
Reactions: JMT
Day 02 cont…: They had time to look over the Rubicon and consider which rig they want. I wrote them a detailed letter explaining the pros and cons of the Sport vs Rubicon and their financial and ethical responsibilities in the restoration and build process of the Rubicon. I had them both write on a piece of paper which one they wanted. If they both wanted the same one I had a complex of coin tosses to decide. Here’s the result:
View attachment 318608
So, it’s over, and I think they are both relieved. Having something of your own makes it more enjoyable. You can make plans and start working on them. After they wouldn’t shut up for like an hour. I finally was like, “I gotta go to bed.” 🤣
Hmm, so one wants the "W", that must be the white Sport. But the other wants the "R", which must be the red one. So, that must mean you get the rusty blue one with all the "opportunity"?!? :ROFLMAO:

Joking aside, watching with interest from the other side of the pond.

Day 03: Interesting development has occurred. Once they got their OWN Jeep their interest level sky-rocketed.

I don’t need anyone to remind me how much a PITA it is to work on TJ doors. K (sons initial) and I got started changing the door paddles. Something was also wrong with the mechanism on the passenger side. There was rust at the bottom of both doors. We’re doing what we can to salvage them. Removing the rust was a PITA. When it’s in the seam @Mike_H said you can’t get it all. That proved to be true. I got all I could and primed it with self-etch to slow it down. I’ll return to it later when we get some color match. I also removed the rust from the hinge and door pin, prepped and primed. I got so involved I forgot I had a class to teach and completely missed. Sorry students! 🤣 By the end of the door work the locking mechanisms are perfect, the paddles are brand new, and the rust is at bay for now. We’ll keep an eye out for half or full doors and if something shapes up we’ll buy them and turn these.

Before
96307F71-DF7F-4631-88CD-097FF82491D2.jpeg

After
image.jpg

5306658B-A4AB-4B82-A16D-19B6D2075F25.jpeg
FA5C29BD-CB0E-4AC5-AC38-362B7C27190D.jpeg
A7E3C66E-0E2A-4549-B876-55F886EC7B2D.jpeg
B96D17FD-352B-422D-A777-DA4C8A7E8050.jpeg

Damn doors. I now have a PhD in TJ doors! 🤣 That stupid pin that holds the rod to the door paddle with that mega thin washer and the tiny pin you have to push through the tiny hole. It’s a big PITA. The Alligator clips are just as bad. You have to put them in through the top. If you can do it without removing the glass you get bonus points. I also have a degree in why everyone’s door panels split above the interior latch. They can’t get them back on so the bend them till they break. I’ve done 6 different doors now and I’ve got this down pat. My interior panels are not broke. The few, the proud!

Day 03: Interesting development has occurred. Once they got their OWN Jeep their interest level sky-rocketed.

I don’t need anyone to remind me how much a PITA it is to work on TJ doors. K (sons initial) and I got started changing the door paddles. Something was also wrong with the mechanism on the passenger side. There was rust at the bottom of both doors. We’re doing what we can to salvage them. Removing the rust was a PITA. When it’s in the seam @Mike_H said you can’t get it all. That proved to be true. I got all I could and primed it with self-etch to slow it down. I’ll return to it later when we get some color match. I also removed the rust from the hinge and door pin, prepped and primed. I got so involved I forgot I had a class to teach and completely missed. Sorry students! 🤣 By the end of the door work the locking mechanisms are perfect, the paddles are brand new, and the rust is at bay for now. We’ll keep an eye out for half or full doors and if something shapes up we’ll buy them and turn these.

Before
View attachment 318811

After
View attachment 318810

View attachment 318812View attachment 318813View attachment 318814View attachment 318815
Have you tried a rust converter?
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html

It’s in the plans. I just sprayed the self etch as a temporary cover till I can get the converter/reformer on hand. I may be doing this for awhile till I get all the tub pieces we want to paint. These include front fenders, rear corner panel, doors, door hinges, tailgate hinges. I am thinking we will have all this painted professionally except the doors due to questionable condition.

Thanks so much for the link!

Reactions: NskLJ and Alex01