05' JMT's Twin Teenager's Rubicon Build

One wants to be a mechanical engineer (K, the Rubicon kid)
The other wants to be a secondary education Math instructor (J, the Sport kid)

We will see. They are both homeschooled and doing part public school now. They are both good at math but need to take more of it. Both work well with their hands and come up with solutions. They've helped me solve a number of things.
Attention to detail, mechanically inclined, good at math, problem solving skills... if he likes physics, K definitely sounds like mechanical engineer material! It's awesome that they're getting hands-on mechanical experience. Hands-on experience and a real-world understanding of how things work help make sense of things in college, where you plunge into the theoretical side of things. If he does end up going into engineering when he goes to college, I highly recommend you have him look into the SAE Collegiate Design Series.

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Define fit
This is how some people define “fit.”

E9FAE98C-E534-4C57-8EFA-611FCE0D3098.jpeg

Attention to detail, mechanically inclined, good at math, problem solving skills... if he likes physics, K definitely sounds like mechanical engineer material! It's awesome that they're getting hands-on mechanical experience. Hands-on experience and a real-world understanding of how things work help make sense of things in college, where you plunge into the theoretical side of things. If he does end up going into engineering when he goes to college, I highly recommend you have him look into the SAE Collegiate Design Series.
He thinks physics is the key. I’ll pass on this suggestion so he can look into it. Thanks! Still would like to wheel with you someday.

Day 12: I’m practicing painting on my own tailgate armor. Spent another $80 on paint grinding wheels, bondo, et al for the Rubi. Hopefully get the torque boxes done, the rear bumper removed, rear crossmember and rear fender wells all sanded, prepped and rust reformed tomorrow. Maybe remove the winch so we can prepare to remove the very big front bumper. I’ll be welding the holes on the stock bumper next Monday or Tuesday and then we can paint it and mount the winch plate with winch. That should change things dramatically.

Lots of talk going on about the build. I don’t like to get too far ahead. There’s soo much to do now I’d rather just focus on getting things back in good shape. I did convince him of a solid 33’s build.

Reactions: Wildman
@JMT just saw this post about your new entry.. wow that's awesome and also the color !
A part from that incredible bumper you found on her, really nice Jeep to work on ! :love:
If I'll move to US I think I'll do a TJs collection.. 8k is so damn good for a rubi!! It's about 25-30k euros here in Europe (Italy) :cry:

You're one guy I told him about. Hopefully he'll get on here some and at least ask questions and research some. As it is now he can just ask me and get most answers. Case in point where he gets the benefit of the knowledge without all the research was last night. When you install the grabbars in an 05' you have to drill a hole in the A-Pillar trim piece. The problem is how do you know where to drill exactly? There are a couple of threads on here that detail it all out in intense detail with little measurements and reference points on the pillar. It took me a couple hours to get comfortable enough to drill mine. 5 minutes for him. Just take the drill and go for it. It's kind of annoying 🙄
I reckon he is on here already without telling you and a user name that you won't connect. He knows the answer before you tell him, but plays dumb so as not to give the game away :ROFLMAO:

He thinks physics is the key. I’ll pass on this suggestion so he can look into it. Thanks! Still would like to wheel with you someday.
Hold onto your ass if you wheel with the Tobster. I tried to keep up with him in Moab last year and was sweatin’ bullets!

• Haha
Reactions: Tob
Hold onto your ass if you wheel with the Tobster. I tried to keep up with him in Moab last year and was sweatin’ bullets!
He’s wheeled my old stomping grounds in TX, and those obstacles are really good for developing your driving skill. I saw some of his vids. His driving was impressive and brought back a lot of memories. Life is better quality for us in WA, but the wheelin was way better in TX. Now I’m just overbuilt and can’t stop building, yet. 🤣

Today was the first “big” work day on the Rubicon. We succeeded in getting the rear bumper off and in the process breaking two to three bolts, the only concerning one being inside the rear stock body mount. I worked hard all morning trying to kill the rust in the rear driver wheel well while dad worked on getting the driver side torque box mostly rust free. We suffered getting pretty discouraged looking at all the rusted out parts of the undercarriage, but we both helped each other mentally steel ourselves and push on. The end result was actually quite encouraging 🙂
66BFD846-1A70-4010-BE7A-97528D9C20D1.jpeg
BF84A376-7E96-4564-976A-4117C7B4789E.jpeg
03305700-26EA-4CDA-80C8-97A430DECFCF.jpeg
image.jpg
We then proceeded to paint the rear crossmember and prepare the rear for the new hinges. Hopefully that will help the gate from not drooping so much!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I reckon he is on here already without telling you and a user name that you won't connect. He knows the answer before you tell him, but plays dumb so as not to give the game away :ROFLMAO:
He’s on here now. That’s for sure!