05' JMT's Twin Teenager's Rubicon Build

Maybe I could move my Warn over to his Jeep and get that SWAG for mine. I like the clearance.

It's a fun welding project too. Mine looks like POOP but I can say I welded it together on my own.

20211219_065107.jpg

20211219_113249.jpg

We both loved the Barnes style as well as the price. He really wants the flush fit, but he also wants to carry his bikes around and so wanted a receiver. I'm not sure where I would weld the receiver on that Barnes 3/16" plate. I actually already have a receiver that was jimmy rigged onto the Rubicon rear bumper by drilling two holes all the way through the OEM rear bumper. I should have taken a picture of it. Ridiculous. The receiver is very similar to the one you linked to, but it also has the chain stays and a top plate that extends on both sides of the receiver a few inches.

Last edited:
@Alex01 I could cut out a 2" x 2" hole for the receiver and then gusset it on the back side of the bumper. I think @rasband did something like this IIRC. Hitch pin would have to go in through the backside when using the receiver. 🤷🏼‍♂️

We both loved the Barnes as well as the price. He really wants that style, but he also wants to carry his bikes around and so wanted a receiver. I'm not sure where I would weld the receiver on that Barnes. I actually already have a receiver that was jimmy rigged onto the Rubicon rear bumper by drilling two holes all the way through the OEM rear bumper. I should have taken a picture of it. Ridiculous. The receiver is very similar to the one you linked to, but it also has the chain stays and a top plate that extends on both sides of the receiver a few inches.
If you look back in @jjvw's build somewhere you'll see that he cut a hole in the bumper and also the rear cross member to make room for the hitch to be welded to the bumper.

Found it.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/daily-driver-go-where-i-want-to-build.9410/post-418182

@Alex01 I could cut out a 2" x 2" hole for the receiver and then gusset it on the back side of the bumper. I think @rasband did something like this IIRC. Hitch pin would have to go in through the backside when using the receiver. 🤷🏼‍♂️
If you look back in @jjvw's build somewhere you'll see that he cut a hole in the bumper and also the rear cross member to make room for the hitch to be welded to the bumper.

Found it.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/daily-driver-go-where-i-want-to-build.9410/post-418182
Follow Josh's since you're in a TJ. I have the luxury, at least in this case, of a little more room.

Reactions: JMT
  • Love
Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman
Progress is looking good! Keep us updated on parts needed. Some of us have to many! ;)

Reactions: JMT
A FEW of us...
My wife called me a Jeep hoarder again this weekend, because my TV room in the basement now has an extra set of full and half doors hanging on the wall. My response was, "I needed to do something with the door hanging brackets I bought!". :p