05 LJ Manual Clutch Pedal Rattle

Pull the pedal, you will see the problem, it will be obvious. It’s not an easy task, I would pull the back and driver seat so you are comfortable. The retaining clips are a pain, good luck.

Well I see there is a little plastic retainer like on the clutch pedal, but what about it? I don't see any obvious problem. Care to explain a bit more detail what your referring to or about?

Yes, the pedals are welded to tubes that fit over tubes and there is a plastic bearing/bushing at each end of the tube. There is a tube for the brake pedal and one for the clutch pedal.

So your saying the bushings are shot?

So your saying the bushings are shot?

No, I'm saying that the tubes that the clutch and brake pedal are welded to ride on plastic bushings that a long bolt goes through. The bolt has to be tight, the bushings/bearings have to be intact or they can allow it to rattle. There are other things that can cause it but the bearings would be the first thing I would check.

Reactions: astjp2
What year is your TJ? I went under it again today to look at the pedal assemble basically the pedal has wiggle room back and forth inside the cylinder that the piston pushes into..

I’ll post a clip later today. Its 3:30pm now.

As for some play, I suspect it to be normal. Its just an annoying sound thats amplified via the metal tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I'm saying that the tubes that the clutch and brake pedal are welded to ride on plastic bushings that a long bolt goes through. The bolt has to be tight, the bushings/bearings have to be intact or they can allow it to rattle. There are other things that can cause it but the bearings would be the first thing I would check.

That bolt your referring too I think is a rod, can’t be tightened. The bearings if their shot which look like plastic bushings? Can the slack be taken up on those I wonder..

Unfortunately I do not mrblaine. What were you hoping to send me? Do you have some sort of improved design of this? If so, I don’t mind paying.

I have several clutch pedal assemblies that bolt to the firewall. We wind up with from doing trans swaps. I hate to throw them away, no one does manual swaps. You are welcome to one for the price of shipping but the hassle to get it over the border sucks.

I have several clutch pedal assemblies that bolt to the firewall. We wind up with from doing trans swaps. I hate to throw them away, no one does manual swaps. You are welcome to one for the price of shipping but the hassle to get it over the border sucks.

I appreciate the offer I just don’t know if that would resolve my issue?

Here is a video I just took of the clutch and brake pedal. The brake pedal has like no play vs. the clutch. The space down there couldn’t be more awkward..

Reactions: fourpointzero
I appreciate the offer I just don’t know if that would resolve my issue?

Here is a video I just took of the clutch and brake pedal. The brake pedal has like no play vs. the clutch. The space down there couldn’t be more awkward..

This is exactly what my clutch pedal does. I dont think it’s a ‘broken’ or necessarily a loose pedal. I can be wrong. In my Jeep, it’s the stock mechanism (hydraulic clutch switch?) and there’s almost 200k miles on it.

If need be, I’ll upload my video to YouTube tomorrow for another frame of reference. But its literally the same as you posted.

Sure.

I wonder if the pivot point is removed from that plastic little bushing and thickening up the pivot point with elec. tape or something just to take up some slack may stop this?

Looks the same as mine your right if not worse (more play). I tried adding some electrical tape on the pivot did not seem to do much. I'm going to try and add a few heavy duty rubber elastic to tie the clutch to the brake pedal to prevent it from being able to travel back as I think that's what the problem is.

The free movement of the clutch pedal back and forth causes the sound to echo off the firewall.. I think. Unless I am missing something maybe @mrblaine see's something we don't? Sounds like he's taken a few of these pedal assemblies apart..

Amazing, not a single suggestion. No one as crazy as us @freebo86 to have noted the rattle.

Rereading Blaine's post, it's not the rod. It's that little back and forth play on the hydraulic cylinder with the exacerbated noise via the Jeep's tub. Maybe tethering a rubber band, as you mentioned, may do the trick to dampen the sound.

Keep me posted. Cheers -R

Amazing, not a single suggestion. No one as crazy as us @freebo86 to have noted the rattle.

Rereading Blaine's post, it's not the rod. It's that little back and forth play on the hydraulic cylinder with the exacerbated noise via the Jeep's tub. Maybe tethering a rubber band, as you mentioned, may do the trick to dampen the sound.

Keep me posted. Cheers -R

Will get out today and slap some rubber bands on it lol. I wonder if there is newer and improved hydraulic cylinders? My Jeep has like 20k on it and it has play so perhaps that’s how they are!

Woo! Low miles. Mine is a little over 180k now. The hydraulic cylinder in mine, as far as I know, is original.

Ya slap a couple on ~ never hurts to try.

Ive added the rubber bands and can't really tell the sound anymore. Keep in mind tho I removed my hard top so not sure if the echoing is less evident now with the top off...

Digging up this old thread. Closest I’ve been able to find to my issue…

often, but not every time, if the clutch is fully in like when coming to a stop and the road is bumpy, or a parking lot speed bump, there is a harsh chatter from the clutch pedal.

There are no issues shifting, chatter at takeoff, downshifting, and I’ve done the common clutch slip tests with no issues.

Clutch Master cylinder looks good, fluid looks good, new redline tranny fluid, pedal to push rod retainer clip is good.

Open to any and all suggestions, 1) it’s annoying 2) with only 33k miles I’d like to stay ahead of anything major and avoid dropping the tranny on a fishing trip.