05 PCM to 98 PCM

nashjeep

Hi guys
Im planning to convert my 05 tj auto 42rle to a manual
I have a scrap 98 tj working well but chassis damaged
I want to swap the manual transmission and pcm with harness into my 05 tj

Is it possible?
And what do i need exactly to do it right?
And do i need the full harness from inside the dash or i can pinout and connect it to the 98 pcm?

And last please if someone has the 05 pcm pinouts just send it..

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, a '98 PCM absolutely will not work in an '05. The only two possible years that will work in your TJ are 05 or 06.

Sorry, a '98 PCM absolutely will not work in an '05. The only two possible years that will work in your TJ are 05 or 06.

I will change the pcm and harness and distributors

Im fed up of 05 pcm and the 42rle

Would that work?

f27c6b1f3edcee51549f09b9f25d1bc4.jpg
ef42ae424875dd81f4a465c09d51e54f.jpg

I have a complete car to swap

Sorry no, all that changed way too much, including the block design, to convert back to a conventional distributor.
There is nothing about the block that prevents the installation of a distributor. We've done it before. We put an 05 engine in a 99 and just swapped the parts and pieces back and forth that it took to get everything hooked up. It would have been a lot harder had we not had both complete set ups to pick and choose from though. The 99 PCM needed the distributor to fire the motor so that was used. The 99 sensors were swapped into the 05 block to get all the readings correct and the 99 32RH was used with all the correct parts to make it work from the 99.

There is nothing about the block that prevents the installation of a distributor. We've done it before. We put an 05 engine in a 99 and just swapped the parts and pieces back and forth that it took to get everything hooked up. It would have been a lot harder had we not had both complete set ups to pick and choose from though. The 99 PCM needed the distributor to fire the motor so that was used. The 99 sensors were swapped into the 05 block to get all the readings correct and the 99 32RH was used with all the correct parts to make it work from the 99.
First-hand experience trumps having read the newer block changed enough that it couldn't be retrofitted with a distributor. Thanks Blaine.

Sorry no, all that changed way too much, including the block design, to convert back to a conventional distributor.

So if i change it from coil pack to distributor
Or lets say i swap the engine and transmission with the electrical and harness still you think it wont work?

First-hand experience trumps having read the newer block changed enough that it couldn't be retrofitted with a distributor. Thanks Blaine.
All we did was lay a distributor, OPDA, and Cam Synchronizer side by side and compared the depth of the blade drive, distance to the flange, etc. and arrived at the conclusion there were no differences in the dimensions, so in it went and worked perfectly.

Or lets say i swap the engine and transmission with the electrical and harness still you think it wont work?

Blaine did that conversion so regardless of what I read saying the block changed, his experience confirms that's still a viable thing to do.

You sure it wouldn't be easier to just get the conversion bellhousing from AA?

I got it and fixed the manual gear but the car stayed in limp mode and after alot of checks
Turned out the pcm is crap and need repair
So i think instead of buying another freakin pcm why not change the holy things out

I got it and fixed the manual gear but the car stayed in limp mode and after alot of checks
Turned out the pcm is crap and need repair
So i think instead of buying another freakin pcm why not change the holy things out

Look at it from the other side. What does the 98 need to make it all good?

Look at it from the other side. What does the 98 need to make it all good?

Pcm, harness, distributor, 98 cps, coil and i have all this

But the problem will be with the body harness from inside the car and starter and ac

You will also need to swap clusters, or else you will not have gauges.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You will also need to swap clusters, or else you will not have gauges.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thx pro i didnt know i need a cluster too
And good that i have it all i will start the swap tomorrow and hope everything will be done well

Reactions: pcoplin
The swap to 98 cluster will require the under dash harness too, and the diagnostic port( where you plug in a code reader).

It's going to be a pain in the ass, but it can be done for sure. Just dont cut any wires under the dash. Take your time, and be careful with the connectors. Chrysler harness connectors are made from the most brittle plastic known to man. If you force it, it will break.

I converted my 03 from the PCI ( 1 wire communication) to the early tj CCD (2 wire ) when I swapped in my 5.9 V8. You are way farther ahead than I was because you have a complete parts jeep. I had to cut and splice mine with dodge ram parts. Lots of studying wiring diagrams in my case.

Reactions: nashjeep
The swap to 98 cluster will require the under dash harness too, and the diagnostic port( where you plug in a code reader).

It's going to be a pain in the ass, but it can be done for sure. Just dont cut any wires under the dash. Take your time, and be careful with the connectors. Chrysler harness connectors are made from the most brittle plastic known to man. If you force it, it will break.

I converted my 03 from the PCI ( 1 wire communication) to the early tj CCD (2 wire ) when I swapped in my 5.9 V8. You are way farther ahead than I was because you have a complete parts jeep. I had to cut and splice mine with dodge ram parts. Lots of studying wiring diagrams in my case.

Dear paul
Regarding the swap should i swap the fuse box behind the gloves box?
And what about the cd player and ac controls!!

Not sure what all is different from 98 to 05. Probably the best thing to do before really getting into it is studying the pinouts of the 2005 and the 1998 harnesses from the FSM and comparing the 2.

Another thing to consider is the differences in the fuel systems. I think late model tjs run a higher fuel pressure than early models (not 100% positive on this) .

Most likely, just guessing, your 2005 tj body is going to end up with a complete wire harness from the 1998.

What is your goal? I personally would try to find another pcm for the 05. It is probably possible to swap complete harnesses, but that is going to be a huge project.

My situation was different. I modified my old harness to run a ccd tj cluster with a ccd style dodge ram pcm. If you plug in a scanner to my jeep, it comes back with a vin from a 2000 Ram pickup.

Last edited: